Groundwork

rachk89

Visit site
So my horse is having two weeks off now from riding due to the injury on his hoof. Vet was out yesterday and said he needs two weeks off minimum hoping it won't be more. The wound was pretty deep and just below his coronary band and has weakened his hoof the vet said.

But i would still like to work with him and think some groundwork might be good obviously not lunging. He is still out in a field all day and night as the vet said he didn't need to be kept in.

What I would like to do is try to reduce how rude he is which is mainly with other people to be honest he respects me to an extent. I especially want to work on his manners for being shod as he was appalling on Friday although the injury to his hoof was probably causing that. He has been very dangerous with this farrier before though and I am at a loss as to why as he has behaved before for other farriers.

So any suggestions on groundwork for a rude horse? He isn't nasty he just has no limitations and no boundaries. He will stop whatever he is doing when he knows he has gone too far but again this is generally just with me if he has wound himself up over something he will rarely listen to anyone else.

Thanks.

Illusion100

Visit site
Sounds like he messes you all around!

I think the most important lesson is to teach him 'No means No and No means Now'.

As for methods it would be hard to say without seeing him in the flesh but if you consider him as just rude and walking over you and others I would recommend firm, fair and consistent handling in a bridle to begin with and nipping everything in the bud as soon as it even crosses his mind to try something until he bucks his ideas up.

It might be worth getting some Pro help in if you aren't sure how to go about this to ensure his behaviour isn't made worse. Insincere discipline and poor timing create bullies and it sounds like he has you all measured up. :(

Once he gets the picture a simple, minor correction will be enough to remind him of his manners when other people are handling him. Just let them know what the 'cue' is before they handle him again.

rachk89

Visit site
He does yeah he knows exactly how to get what he wants. I have been thinking about getting a professional as he is just a jerk. The yard owner has ridden him and he doesn't think the horse will ever change he thinks he is just how he is and that's that. But i don't really want to believe that to be honest.

Will be more assertive with him and see if that helps. I have tried that in the past though and he doesn't respond to it. He does respond well to positive reinforcement but it's difficult to catch him doing anything good really.

I did get him quickly enough today though when he tried jumping past me when leading him from the field. He sulked the whole way to the stables because he got told off.

be positive

Visit site
He does yeah he knows exactly how to get what he wants. I have been thinking about getting a professional as he is just a jerk. The yard owner has ridden him and he doesn't think the horse will ever change he thinks he is just how he is and that's that. But i don't really want to believe that to be honest.

Will be more assertive with him and see if that helps. I have tried that in the past though and he doesn't respond to it. He does respond well to positive reinforcement but it's difficult to catch him doing anything good really.

I did get him quickly enough today though when he tried jumping past me when leading him from the field. He sulked the whole way to the stables because he got told off.

Your YO has a very closed mind if he thinks a horse cannot be changed, in my experience all horses can be improved, they may never be "perfect" but they can all become nice to deal with if the owner puts in the time to train them, I think with a thug you have to be black and white, no horse should be dangerous for a farrier that is unfair and must be tackled before he injures someone.

I would get some professional help as it can be difficult to advise when you have not met the horse or owner, what works for one combination could be totally wrong for another, if I were you I would want to prove the YO wrong and end up with a well mannered horse that is a pleasure for anyone to deal with, if done properly he should be just as good whoever handles him, it is in everyones best interests to have their horses easily handled by any competent person as you never know when someone else may have to take over their care, an easy horse has a better chance in life than a tricky one and any work put in is never wasted.

Illusion100

Visit site
I agree that behaviour, or at least aspects of it, can always be modified. You can't change temperament/personality but you can always improve manners.

Horses will always respond to assertiveness, they just might not like to! They have various ways of responding, some will fight fire with fire, some will ignore etc etc so there is no set rules/methods and I do believe each horse should be treated as an individual. Some are defiant with all the subtley of a brick, others with a delicate and quiet 'last word'.

For example, mine will walk all over someone if he senses a shred of uncertainty from them. He doesn't believe he has to listen to anyone that isn't in control. He's not necessarily nasty or bolshy about it, more 'yeah, yeah, whatever you think dear, we'll have a chat when you get a grip'.

It all boils down to the basics of what is acceptable and what isn't. I'm sure others may disagree with me but I believe a horse is happiest when they are allowed to think for themselves but don't have to make the decisions, if that makes sense?

I think getting a Pro in would be a really good idea, just to get the ball rolling in the right direction from the start. Perhaps if you post your approx. area someone might have recommendations?

And fully agree with be positive, prove your YO wrong. It may take a lot of work and effort but the reward will be priceless. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

rachk89

Visit site
I agree that behaviour, or at least aspects of it, can always be modified. You can't change temperament/personality but you can always improve manners.

Horses will always respond to assertiveness, they just might not like to! They have various ways of responding, some will fight fire with fire, some will ignore etc etc so there is no set rules/methods and I do believe each horse should be treated as an individual. Some are defiant with all the subtley of a brick, others with a delicate and quiet 'last word'.

For example, mine will walk all over someone if he senses a shred of uncertainty from them. He doesn't believe he has to listen to anyone that isn't in control. He's not necessarily nasty or bolshy about it, more 'yeah, yeah, whatever you think dear, we'll have a chat when you get a grip'.

It all boils down to the basics of what is acceptable and what isn't. I'm sure others may disagree with me but I believe a horse is happiest when they are allowed to think for themselves but don't have to make the decisions, if that makes sense?

I think getting a Pro in would be a really good idea, just to get the ball rolling in the right direction from the start. Perhaps if you post your approx. area someone might have recommendations?

And fully agree with be positive, prove your YO wrong. It may take a lot of work and effort but the reward will be priceless. Good luck. :)

My horse definitely responds to assertiveness, he just doesnt like to, nor does he remember. Its almost like he has a short term memory on manners yet a long term memory when something scares him. He still hasnt forgotten that he believes crows are evil. He is like yours, he'll just walk all over anyone he doesnt believe is the boss. He listens to me because he knows I mean it, but even then sometimes he'll chance his luck and be brought back down to earth.

Hopefully gonna prove the YO wrong. Maybe they did just mean that the horse will always have a quirky personality and he'll never be normal or even remotely sensible. He's clever to an extent, but he wont use it when it doesnt suit him.

Definitely agree though he likes to think for himself but also likes to be told what to do. He gets cheeky when he is left to think for himself and thats due to nerves of not knowing what to do.

North of Scotland really for location. Most people around here will travel because they have to really or they wont have a business. I have been considering trying to get a horsemanship person in to help with him, but dunno if there are any.