Growing pains/other?

titchy

Visit site
Hello

In your experience, do young horses (1-4 yrs) sometimes find it uncomfortable trotting on hard ground, ie road surfaces, until their bodies mature?

Just wondering.

Thanks

ABE

Visit site
I find my rising 4yo can go through "pottery"/unbalanced spells, i have had the vet to this and he cofirmed its just growing. is ur youngster shod?

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
As with the previous poster, my boy has recently gone through an 'unlevel' phase, although his was specific to his stifle as opposed to being generalised. I've been reassured that as he strengthens up and learns how to carry himself he'll be fine
smile.gif

titchy

Visit site
Thanks for comments.

Pony is almost 4 years old. Hoping to keep her barefoot as she is a companion for my horse. However she needs to be lightly exercised to keep her weight in check and give her something interesting to do.

I hope it is just immaturity and lack of balance, however I feel she may be footsore on the hard surfaces (even with easyboots on - they have a very hard base). Vet can't find anything obviously wrong.

Thanks for comments.

Tidy Paquet

Visit site
I think I would ask the farrier to have a look.
You may have to pop a couple of front shoes on to help the situation.
You can always take them off when you stop exercising her later in the year and the ground is softer. Just get the shoes removed when the shoes have been on quite a time and she has grown some foot and generally the ponies are fine.