"Growing pains" with youngsters: fact or fallacy?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
As title really.

I've got the loveliest little coblet/mare, she's a real little sweetie-pie, last week I video'd her going through some roadworks in the village. She really is five-going-on-fifteen, a real Christian in every way.

Until this morning! Took her out for a little trot round the block. OK so it was blowing a hooley; but as soon as we'd got out the yard I could feel she just wasn't right, her back was rising up into "bronc" shape (JFC that is ALWAYS disconcerting!!) and she basically threw a few token bucks in going away from the yard, and I wasn't sure what exactly was happening!

Ten mins down the road, she'd got over it and she was fine, her normal happy chilled little self.

The possibilities that were in my head were as follows:

Cold backed?? Well......... mmmm. It was raining softly here this morning, nor heavy rain. I checked her back in case she was wet, she wasn't, it has been very mild. OK she may have been slightly damp, but wet and/or cold, not.

Just nappy/youngster strop?? She hasn't been away from the others or done anything since Saturday.... so yes, possibly, but this isn't like her, not at all. She normally goes away from the herd perfectly happily. She isn't one to do a hissy fit, she really isn't.

Saddle? I did get off and check there was nothing under the saddle, couldn't see or feel anything, ditto girth. I felt around her back when I got home, nothing.

"Growing pains"??? I remember when a friend had a youngster a few years back, someone told her that this is a common factor in young horses when they suddenly throw a hissy for no reason. Apparently they go through periods of growth spurt and an identifying factor is unexplained "youngster strops" and/or doing this sort of thing.

Anyone else got a youngster?? Anyone else experienced "growing pains"???

H&H wisdom appreciated! This is my first youngster - I don't know really what to think about this morning's little display. Am open to ideas basically.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Growing pains are a fact in humans so I don't see why they shouldn't be in a horse.

She could still be cutting teeth.

We wake with a headache sometimes, why shouldn't a horse?

Yes, youngsters sometimes have a bad hair day.

I'm very cautious if I put a saddle on a wet youngster.

I went to see two five year olds with a friend once. The owner, who we knew well and could absolutely trust, was nearly violently bucked off by them both. There was nothing visible or feelable on the saddle cloth, but they'd never done it before and never did it again, so there has to have been something on it or the girth.

I'd only worry if it happens again soon.

buddylove

Visit site
In season? My lovely little mare has been like a cat on a hot tin roof over the last 10 days or so. I'm putting it down to last season of the year, she was the same in April, but a saint all summer 🙄

JJS

Visit site
If she doesn't do it again, I'd write it off as a one time thing. If she does, I'd start looking for reasons. Tudor's behaviour was put down to 'teenage strops' and 'growing pains' by multiple professionals, and ended up being nothing of the sort! That's not to say these never come into play - just that it's all too easy to blame pain related behaviour on babyishness and immaturity.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
There could be all sorts of reasons for a youngster having a moment like that. As an owner/rider you cannot possibly analyse the exact cause of a few moments like that, unless it is in direct response to something that you can see/hear/smell, or it becomes part of a pattern of behaviour. Forget it and move on...the horse probably has.

Think about the amount of random sensations that you experienced as a teenager. And if you were unable to express any of them, think what someone watching your every move intently might have thought of the little things you did as a result.

Horses aren't machines, they have the odd moment.

southerncomfort

Visit site
A friend of mine swears that her mares first and last seasons of the year are the worst in terms of behaviour so I wonder if they get a bit sore if they are particularly strongly in season...?

catkin

Visit site
Growing pains at 3 or 4 yes, but unlikely at 5.

maybe not 'growing pains' at 5 but certainly they are still maturing both physically and mentally. Either is enough to put them off-balance.
Your little mare is the horse equivalent of a teenager with all the ups and downs that brings.