Grr! Fed up with arrogant bolshy cob - please help! (v long sorry)

maisie

Visit site
Hope some of the cob owners out there can help me... Jack is my 15.1 MW Irish cob. He is 8yo and I have had him for 2 years (I have had horses for 25+ years) In May he was diagnosed with Bilateral check ligament desmitis behind after being 'Not Right' behind off and on for about 3 months. He has had 1 month box rest, 1 month walking out of the box for 15 mins twice daily plus a course of shockwave therapy and hydrotherapy. He has behaved exceptionally well throughout all this apart from becoming a little handy with his teeth (not unusual for him any way, just worse than normal)

He has now had the go ahead to return to work very slowly and be turned out. He is now in during the day and out at night and we have got to build up his walking starting at 20mins, by 10 mins per week over 2 months. I am currently on week 2 at 30mins daily on a hard surface (ie fields or road) My problems have only begun since I started his fittening programme 10 days ago. He has become increasingly unsettled on the yard (not in the stable, but when tied up) I have seen him grabbing the knot in his rope and windsucking. When ridden he will troll along quite happily on the bit for about 15 minutes, and then suddenly a blade of grass will move (!) and he will explode into the air and then try to cart me. (handy when you're only supposed to be walking!) I can only hold him in a kimblewick, which frustrates him because he knows he cannot get away from me in it, so he gets behind the bit and jogs along sideways. If I use any leg pressure he plunges and tries to get away from me. I have been doing most of the work in the fields as I have no short rides around my area and if I go up the road for 10-15 minutes and then turn round to go home, the next time I go that way he will try to whip round as soon as he thinks we have gone far enough!. Plus the roads are quite busy round me and I would prefer not to take an unpredictable loon out among Joe Public! When I have (in an effort to stay alive!) taken him in the school (not recommended by vet but don't want to die yet!) he turns into old plod and slugs along like a donkey.

He is fed simple systems soaked Alfalfa (350gms daily) with Lunar Eclipse (their calming mix!!) plus glucosamine, salt and seaweed, and has 2 slices of hay durring the day in the stable. He is strip grazing the field and gets about 3ft x 10 yds extra each day. Tonight to add insult to injury I barely got his headcollar off in the field before all 4 feet were off the ground and he yanked himself away from me, and theen he threw his bucket of feed across the field and stomped off!!

If any psychologists/psychiatrists out there can point either him or me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful - I am at my wit's end with his unpredictable irrational behaviour and can only imagine that this is what it is like to have a toddler on speed with ADHD!!

thanks for reading! :crazy

Oldred

Visit site
Just some suggestions - no doubt you have already thought of them. From the sound of him he seems underworked (for obvious reasons), lacking in confidence (napping, spooking), maybe in pain (wants to get out situation he is in), got slightly the upper hand (nobody wants to die yet!). Could you do some Parelli with him. You may need some help getting started but it will be new for him, give him confidence and give him new respect for you. Riding out with another person would also be good I imagine as its much more pleasurable for a horse. Can he not go out all the time as well - that usually sorts out some problems. I've got two cob mares - both have their moments! Good luck.

serena2005

Visit site
have you had a physio see him? he sounds like the type of horse you need to be on your guard with all the time.

how well do he know you?

my TBX was unpredictable for the 1st few months while hes been lame iv been walking him up and down the roads in hand, i totally understand about the stopping to come home, he knows where that point is and naps when we get near it.
hes not very strong though so im lucky for that.

id advise you keep trying with him, perhaps avoid the road for now untill you have built up more trust, and ask some one to walk on foot with you.

nelliefinellie

Visit site
Do you have access to a horse walker? My horse had 6 months box rest and was meant to do 1 hours walk a day but he was a nightmare - like yours any excuse to leap in the air and beacame traffic shy for no reason. He was not allowed to be turned out at all which made things worse - I think he just lacked mental stimulation and started inventing some! Even on acp he was a nightmare so did most of his rehab on the horse walker as my death wish days are over! Once he was allowed to be turned out he improved but was still bad on the road for ages. Then someone on the yard had an animal communicator / reiki healer out who looked at my horse, even though I have to admit I was very sceptical, and just interested in the reiki, but he was loads better afterwards. Dont ask me why. Also I boxed him to different areas with quieter roads so I didnt have to worry about the traffic, and he was so interested in the new surroundings it changed his focus. Also, you might want to think of having a physio to lookl at him, with your vet's ok, as he may have secondary problems that are making him uncomfortable.
Good luck!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Are you sure he's not in any pain? (although at the moment I expect you would like to inflict some on him!!!). I only ask as my friends cob was an absolute nightmare, napped, bolted, barged and was generally a pain in the arse!!! She finally pinpointed the problem as a muscle enzyme problem (after many tests). Now the horse is on special supplements and no longer in pain she is a real pleasure.

My mare also a MW cob was a nightmare this spring, she basically got all hormonal and from being an idiot in the field hurt her back and started rearing (self inflicted so no sympathy). Physio sorted her back out and mare turned back into her normal angelic self.

A short shanked pelham with two reins may help if you have ruled out any pain (has save my life on more than one fun ride!!!!). That way you have the option of only using the curb when you need it.
smile.gif

maisie

Visit site
I don' t think he is in any pain (although torturing him has crossed my mind couple of times!) His teeth were done in March, his saddle is made to measure and only 4 months old and I do need to get it checked as we missed the 8 week check due to box rest - was going to give it a month before I get them out though. His back was checked by the vet before I started working him and his back and hocks were x rayed at the end of May when he went for the lameness workup. ( I work for my vet so he has had everything possible done as I get staff rates!) The only thing I haven't done is run a blood, which I may well do tomorrow just to rule anything out in that department. My OH has volunteered to ride him on and off just to see if a change of jockey settles him down (he gave up eventing about 7 years ago so is quite qualified to deal with him but no doubt Jack will be angel horse for OH who is a bit of a DR DOlittle with most animals - GRR!)

Theresa_F

Visit site
Firstly rule out pain. Cobs often hide pain until is very painful.

Next - my cobs have plenty of energy on a small amount of hi-fi lite and a good vit and min supplement in the summer, plus a couple of carrots for a treat - try to cut his feed to this and his hay. Ensure nibble grazing only.

If this does not start to improve him, get in a professional to look at him. I did this with Chancer. At 18 months in the space of 2 weeks he turned into a bolshy git, planting himself, crushing you etc. Two sessions put him right. He was very firmly put in his place. I had not been strict enough with him due to my lack of experience with youngsters.

He was put in place with a mixture of dominating body language and the use of a rope - he if refused to move, or crushed you against a wall, walked over you, the rope was swung at him to get to move on or out of your personal space.

He did initially did have to have a short whip used as he had no respect for anything. Once he learnt that the whip would tap him, we were able to go to a rope and now he will most of the time respond to body language or a finger, I also find a hiss very effective.

I would also add that the previous gruff voice, pointy finger and stare that would make all my TBs jump to attention had no effect on him. This is why the whip and rope were used initially to reinforce the message. He now knows that if he refuses to obey the finger to move over and voice to back up or get away from something, a rope will come into play and flick him - therefore it is nicer for him to obey the finger and voice.

If he does get bolshy now I tend to take an aggressive stance and walk at him. He will lower his head and back up. If he stands up to me, and tries to walk me over, the rope will be flicked at him to get him out of my personal space. To be honest, I rarely have to show the rope now.

I am not saying beat the hell out of him, or turn him into a nervous wreck, but to be aware that cobs often need a firmer hand than a sensitive TB to get the message through.

Chancer is very bright and not only picks up good habits, but equally if given an inch will take a mile on bolshy behaviour. This also has applied to all the cobs I have been involved with over the years. I always try to have firm, fair and consistent handling with my horses.

If anyone has met my cobs they will tell you that they are not cowering wrecks, but are very confident sorts that do have good manners and respect. You should be respected first and a friend second to your horse. It is not an equal partnership - you are the alfa member of partnership.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I have to say that the first thing that springs to mind is here is a horse that is feeling very well in himself and is full of energy. I would cut out his feed and have him turned out 24/7. And ride him from the field not the stable.