Grr.....

Skhosu

Visit site
Took big lad out today, warmed up for 10mins then took off stirrusp (and yes... I Wil be very sore tomorrow!)
So only did short trots/controlled canters as my balance isn't wonderful, but was working over poles and everytime we tried to do them in canter, he saw them and started boinging on the spot. So there's me thinking I'm about to come off, bouncing up and down in the saddle which is making him worse and struggling to get him stopped.
Should I just have got the stirrups back on and done a bit more work?
I eventually just trotted him over as I didn't fancy coming off.
On a positive note he has finally mastered rein back with his head down, rather than thrown up again and again..
So any suggestions, I know he is going to do this again next time I try and put him over the poles, not sure whats the best way to deal?
He also plunges towards jumps, but is slowly getting better. I am going to loose jump him a bit to help him do it without a rider.

Halfpass

Visit site
Loose jumping / jumping on the lunge is great. I did this loads with my old horse and it really stopped that charging towards jumps. Start of with just a pole on the floor and keep the horse going over it until they accept it as a boring trtting pole then gradually raise the jump to the desired height until it just becomes another boring old jump. It took me 4 / 5 sesion of about half an hour before he was jumping steadily on the lunge with out charging at it then another 4 / 5 times before the jump was a good height and he wasn't charging. Remember to do the same both sides. My lad always did one side fine then forgot it on the other rein. But our ridden jumping did get much much better.