Grr..

Skhosu

Visit site
at unaffiliated SJ yesterday, just with the ponies. VEry crowded in pony standing area (all lined up).
There had just been a big commotion, so lots of agitated horses, sister had to walk past to get into arena to get a rosette (came 2nd).
Aske da woman who was standing in the way to please move, woman moved a little bit, sister asked if horse (who had ears flat back and was stamping feet) would kick. Woman said no(in a very abrupt manner), sister said ok, just wanted to be sure as it looked grumpy (and went carefully past).
I suspect if she had touched it, it might well have kicked, but the woman was very rude about being asked if her horse kicked (she was just standing holding it)
Do you mind if people ask you if your horse kicks? I ask anyone I HAVE to walk behind in standing areas whose horses are close or look like they would be inclined to. My horses are too important! Is this not the way things are done?

Natalie_H

Visit site
I would be happy if people asked me - mine is a bit unpredictable in that way. Rather that than assume horse is okay & then an accident happens!

Jemayni

Visit site
I always tell people mine kicks, even though he never would. I find it unbelievably disrespectful when people walk directly behind my horse, if he spooked and backed up he could still really hurt someone!

spooks

Visit site
i wouldnt mind if i was asked either as otto is a miserable sod who pulls faces at every given opportunity! lol. people are bound to read that as he isnt a happy chappy and might kick and fair enough as thats the impression he gives.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I don't normally say "Does your horse kick?", I normally say something like "Is your horse alright for me to come behind?" It somehow is less confrontational/ causes less resentment kind of thing...... and they know that I'm really trying to ask nicely if their horse kicks.

pottamus

Visit site
I would much rather someone asked and avoided an accident!!! Although even with a metre long thick red ribbon in my boys tail you still get complete and utter idiots that barge past his back end on horseback!!! I sometimes wonder if it has somehow fallen out at times...but it is still there, it is just invisable red!!!!
The best ones are those that ignore it and I then ask them nicely to move their horse from up mine's bum...as he does kick...and they turn around and say 'oh it is alright, we are not near enough' or 'oh most people have those in even though there horse does not kick'!!!! LOL!
Rant over....

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
I took my youngster on his first ever pleasure ride - I was wearing a body protector, riding quite short and had both a green and a red ribbon in his tail - and really wide ones at that, And guess what - I had people careering into him. One actually charged into him in canter. Luckily he behaved impeccably but I thought I was going to die! I agree these must be invisible ribbons. Mine did not kick as far as I knew but he was only young and he may have done. I always ask if I can come past, would your horse mind. There is always a first time. If she minds being asked - she is the one with the problem - not you

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I dont have a problem with people asking me. Always reply "Not normally but I cant say for certain he wont" Never has yet but a nice little get out clause.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
I have never had a problem with anyone asking me that! My horse never kicks but has a very big phobia of dogs and always tell dog owners to stay away as he would boot them or run away both are not good lol!!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
It's just common courtesy to answer a question like that politely. I have seen people just come up right behind others, with no reagard whatsoever. I have even seen a lady with a mare come and walk right behind (and i mean CLOSE) a stallion at a show. She was asked to move away as it was a stallion and she laughed and said "ooh good, she could do with having a foal".
Horses are unpredictable, and TBH i wouldnt trust anything but the most docile of horses not to kick. They can't always see what's behind them, and it's just natural for them to lash out at anything which might mean danger for them.

Rambo

Visit site
No problem at all with people asking. What really gets my goat though is when people stand their horses in the way of a walkthrough, blocking anyone's entry / exit, or at best leaving a tiny gap to walk through. This was particularly bad at one show I attended last weekend when not only was the horse standing blocking the walkthrough, but it was wearing a red ribbon in it's tail suggesting it was a kicker
mad.gif