grrr...horse not coming in...again

princestar

Visit site
I am going to get his teeth and back/saddle checked to ensure that there are no problems there...

Basically my horse is driving me insane. He went through a stage of not wanting to come in... I learnt that walking backwards slowly across the field with an outstretched carrot was the way, but must be done slowly and quietly, andnifbhe went to move off - I would stop still.

He has never been a simple horse to catch however we have been progressing - yet we seem to have gone 110% backwards. I moved to a new yard a month ago, and I immediately got him into a routine - to a point where he was walking over to come in at night - which I had never seen him do. However we have moved to the winter field which has more grass and he was next to two mares, which he is now in with as they were getting on well with and putting them in together was simple and quiet.

However we seem to have gone blooming miles backwards in the catching and bringing in.

He is not scared, he is taking the p**s because he trots and canters round me in a circle, his ears are pricked and he turns and looks at me...

I have tried:
- bringing the two mares in, leaving him out.... he calls for them but goes back to grazing quickly
- trying to get him when catching one of the girls, I have to leave his head collar on, so slipped a finger under the headcollar when I caught the girls, but he learned from that one and the next day wasn't being caught the same way twice.
-following him round the field, keeping him moving as much as possible however its hard as the field is a good size for three horses so he can usually put his foot down by the time I catch him up
- cornering him (usually needs two people) one to herdnhim down to the front of the yard and one to put the fencing across - then I have to let him calm down before catching him.

I am going to try going to the field, giving them all a few carrots then catching him, leading down to the yard, treat and back to turn out... so he knows he is going to be back with the other horses.

He isn't worked a lot, twice to three times a week at the most, he has a large stable with fresh water every night, a thick bed, can see all the horses on the yard and a big haynet. However I just cant convince him coming in is a good thing.... and because I have only been at the yard a month - and horses have to come in by a certain time, I feel worried about the winter months in case people can't get him in, or if he won't come in and I get kicked off the yard...

Please give me any advice or help... I'm not sure what else I can do!! I am worried as if he goes flying over and hurts himself when he's being an ass, or pulls a shoe...plus I am not always there to bring him in.

Getting to thd point where I dread bringing in time as I know its going to result in me running around the field. ..

monkeymad

Visit site
Hopefully he will automatically become easier as the grass dies off. I think your only real option would be to section off a portion of the field with electric fencing. Having a horse who is a pain to catch in a large field really intensifies the problem.

mandwhy

Visit site
I agree with the above. I am sure by the autumn/winter he will be gagging to come in for hay and feed - the fact is at the moment the grass is worth staying out for!

I think bringing him in and turning out again is a good idea, maybe give him a small feed and then out again so he knows in equals food.

Definitely ask the YO if you can section the field off, I am sure they will appreciate that you need to crack this problem for everyone's benefit. I have previously found the chasing round til they give up tactic to be quite a good one but I don't think I've had a horse this difficult to catch, I sympathise!

weebarney

Visit site
I just follow the horse round the field until it gives up, in theory it should take less and less time to catch them as they realise you won't give in.