grrr need little rant.

Cahill

Visit site
i am walking my dogs -my older one is well behaved and my new one is getting there but still a pup as no life before I got him.
we are going along off lead and up front are two women and 3 children,one of the women bends over with her arms out inviting my dogs for a pat (I spose?) young dog runs up (this is what I do for his recall) and she starts patting/fussing him and he is all waggy.
thought nothing of it and we walked on by,then younger dog runs back for more patting and jumps up at her leaving a muudy print.
she has a go at me and says I should have him on a lead,i tell her she shouldn`t have called him in the 1st place.i walk off with my dogs as don`t want a tiff.

I think I am in the right (she should not be patting strange dogs) and she probably thinks she is right.

think they were xmas holiday walkers as every1 else we meet either have dogs or carry on by and my dogs stay with me.

rant over-feel better now

happy new year everyone xxx

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
i am walking my dogs -my older one is well behaved and my new one is getting there but still a pup as no life before I got him.
we are going along off lead and up front are two women and 3 children,one of the women bends over with her arms out inviting my dogs for a pat (I spose?) young dog runs up (this is what I do for his recall) and she starts patting/fussing him and he is all waggy.
thought nothing of it and we walked on by,then younger dog runs back for more patting and jumps up at her leaving a muudy print.
she has a go at me and says I should have him on a lead,i tell her she shouldn`t have called him in the 1st place.i walk off with my dogs as don`t want a tiff.

I think I am in the right (she should not be patting strange dogs) and she probably thinks she is right.

think they were xmas holiday walkers as every1 else we meet either have dogs or carry on by and my dogs stay with me.

rant over-feel better now

happy new year everyone xxx

Serves her right!

SpringArising

Visit site

I think it's strange to call a dog over one minute and then shout at you for them coming over the next, but at the same time if you can't call your dog back in an instant and if he jumps up then he shouldn't be off the lead. There's nothing I hate more than having an out of control dog jump up at me - especially with muddy paws!

Cahill

Visit site
ah two different views.

we are practicing our recall at every opportunity and I can call him from other dogs but he is such a friendly boy that I think this woman patting him made him so happy that he went back for more.

when we go back to OB training after the xmas break I will suggest we practice recall with distractions supplied by club members :)

{97702}

Visit site
I am LOL at the idea that no-one should ever let a dog off the lead unless they have instant recall - with all due respect, these are dogs we are talking about not automatons :D

The woman was obviously a bit strange Cahill, don't worry about it - your boy did nothing wrong, you are doing amazingly well with him :) :)

RhaLoulou

Visit site
I think if you say hello to a puppy you should realise that you may well get jumped on and it may be muddy, like you say probably someone who goes out for a walk once a year!

Cahill

Visit site
it all happened so quick and he was naughty for jumping up.

funny thing is,when he came straight back after the incident and we were a little way infront of the people,my big dog told him off (in a nice way) so they prob think he is fierce lol

Annette4

Visit site
Pppffttt......Fizz has good recall (for a whippet) but if someone says hello to her so I call her back around people now. She will jump up them unless they have previously told her off (she's a cheeky ****). I had a woman do the same action and despite me shouting 'she'll jump up you!' carried on....then looked disgusted when she left 2 very muddy paw prints on her lovely cream coat.....luckily I was with my mum who when said woman opened her mouth just bellowed 'Serves you bloody right, you were warned!' to which she scuttled off, my mum is scary! ;) I really don't care about getting muddy on a walk but I would never encourage someone else's dog to come to me or jump up me...it's common sense!

Luci07

Visit site
My attempts at teaching no 2 overly affectionate Stafford bitch NOT to jump up have backfired somewhat.

She loves everyone and can't seem to stop herself when seeing one of my friends. I told my friend to simply turn away and not pat the dog till all paws were earthbound.

So, now when this friend comes up on the yard, my bitch goes up behind her and pats her backside instead!

googol

Visit site
it all happened so quick and he was naughty for jumping up.

funny thing is,when he came straight back after the incident and we were a little way infront of the people,my big dog told him off (in a nice way) so they prob think he is fierce lol

The woman sounds mental

It's cute that ur big dog ins helping you with ur pup
How did he tell her off?!

Cahill

Visit site
googol It's cute that ur big dog ins helping you with ur pup How did he tell her off?![/QUOTE said:
he just wraps his chops around lil`uns neck lol (very gently as he is a big softy )

Overread

www.flickr.com
Eh no one got bitten, no dog growled and the only damage was a few bits of mud. If people are going to walk outside they should expect a bit of mud! (esp at this time of year).

Doesn't sound like your dog sent any signs of aggression, it was just a pup getting a lot of attention and jumping up. 100% normal doggy thing to do.

I can understand that some parent will get worried when dogs are excessively jumpy around their kids (kids get knocked over - many tears are shed); but doesn't sound like he was bouncy; just friendly.

Nothing wrong keep going as you are - and be glad its not a husky cause they don't understand the concept of recall one bit

SpringArising

Visit site
Lévrier;12754746 said:
I am LOL at the idea that no-one should ever let a dog off the lead unless they have instant recall - with all due respect, these are dogs we are talking about not automatons :D

If I'm walking a dog who I know won't come back if I call it, then I don't let it off.

Unless you are in a gigantic field completely away from cars and any other sort of traffic, then I don't think the risk is worth it.

{97702}

Visit site
If I'm walking a dog who I know won't come back if I call it, then I don't let it off.

Unless you are in a gigantic field completely away from cars and any other sort of traffic, then I don't think the risk is worth it.

My dogs (4 greyhounds) all come back. Whether they do it instantly depends on the individual dog. I let them off the lead every single day when they are on their walks, and have never had a problem - nor have I ever had a problem with any dog I have owned over the past 25+ years, none of whom had instant recall. Just a personal choice I guess :)

Cahill

Visit site
I wonder how does a dog learn to come back in different locations if it is never given the chance to make the right choice?

the split second he chooses to comes I praise him and I am also treating him when we are walking when he `checks in` (makes eye contact)

I would never let my dog off if I thought it may cause trouble.
we often walk in a busy park with lots of people and joggers and he has never bothered any1 before-but this woman invited him for fussing.

Overread

www.flickr.com
I wonder how does a dog learn to come back in different locations if it is never given the chance to make the right choice?

Typically people try in a contained space first - large and open and not home, but contained with a boundary. Failure in that environment means no chance of it working outside of there.

Some dogs get it and others don't and there are some breed traits too. Some are much easier to train. I also think that some less heavily domesticated breeds need a different style of training to those with a longer domestic background (which is why many "common" training methods might not work on some breeds).

oldie48

Visit site
Dogs can you let down though! One of my border terriers joined a family having a picnic, he sat with the children very nicely until he helped himself to a sandwich from the hand of one of them. Very embarrassing!

Milanesa

Visit site
I wouldn't think anymore of it. She invited the dog over. Her fault. Anyone that understands dogs would not think twice if a young pup accidentally jumped up.