Grrr! Sellers...

Skhosu

Visit site
Ok, so I posted recently, looking for an allrounder that is suitable for a nervous novic e mum, right? Rang up about a few, most were sold by the time we wanted to go see them. Rang up about one yesterday, went to see it today. Good build, 15.3 chestnut gelding. I must have asked about ten times 'is he quiet'. 'is he good on the roads?'
First impressions were good, lovely looking horse, chunky but not a cob. However, they led him out and he was very 'looking about' if you know what I mean? Very fresh looking. So they tacked him up and stuff and walked him out, had to wait a moment for some lorry to go up the road, which he took a vunny look at. He looked as though he would take a look at tractors, but they turned him away before we could see what he did.
Bear in mind, this horse is 'good on the roads'. We had been told he could walk, trot and canter safely but didn't know much about flatwork, but was quiet.
He was VERY green, but would have been workable with, had he not napped and spooked at everything in the field. Nice horse, as a small hunter for an unambitious person who was confient. Not any good whatsoever for a nervous mum to ride, really annoyed. She didn't sit on him at all, as sister said she reckoned he would be too much.
My definition of quiet and good on the roads is that they don't spook at anything and don't mind tractors etc. and maybe are a bit of a plod, possibly lazy but certainly not a forward going horse which spooks at the grass!
frown.gif
frown.gif

Back to the drawing board.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh dear, sorry to hear that, one of the reasons I put all of speedy's misshaps in the advert! Have you seen spiral's horse which she has for sale, shes very pretty?

L

lilym

nightmare isn't it?? i went with a friend to look at a horse, the sellers told her it was top class m&m material and it had bad sweetitch and COPD!!

LauraBR

Visit site
Having gone through a total nightmare with current horse who apparently had never bucked or reared EVER even on the lunge but managed to put me in hospital on more than one occassion in the first month I owned him (LONG story) I'm now determined to find my next horse through word of mouth.

Try contacting local riding clubs, livery owners, farriers etc?

Good luck x

Tia

Visit site
Yes it is certainly a problem for some owners to come clean with what their horse is and what it definitely isn't!

I drove 2 hours out into the blooming wilderness to go and view a "dead cert" last month....with my hulking great trailer on the back! Horse was advertised as perfect beginner horse, great with children and totally bombproof.....what a joke! The horse had arthritis in one of it's hocks, raving spondylitis and to top it all off, had cataracts and was in the process of going blind!!

It spooked, freaked out at any noise and it should not have been being re-homed, it should have been on its final journey to the glue factory, poor thing.

Skhosu

Visit site
It's crazy! I have to agree , I'll continue ringing about horses in the paper, but am only going to go and see those who someone I know can recommend/knows.
For the right horse, it's not worth buying the unknown, especially when they have to be bombproof!
Also, unfortunately has to be in Northern Ireland, otherwise I might take a look at spirals!