GRRR- Selling a horse-Am I the one whos wrong??

charlie76

Visit site
I have a very good quality talented horse that I decided to sell a few months ago- although I have activly advertised as I'm not desperate to sell him I have had a few enquiries including one who came to try him. I also have dropped his price by £3k as I wanted to sell him before winter if pos. and the markets not good here at the mo.
Anyway, this person came to try him the first time where she saw me tack him up, ride him and jump him, she then rode him with other horses and on her own and also jumped himr ound a full course of show jumps. She rode him for well over and hour, checked his legs, saw him trotted up etc.
She then came again , hacked him on the road, in the woods and fields, jumped him over xc fences and rode him in the school again and jumped again over a grid etc, untacked him, tacked him up herself, put him to bed etc.

They now what me to take him to a show for them to ride and to their yard and I am just not prepared to do this bearing in mind I have shown them pics of him competing, they have tried him for hours in all situations, seen his dressage sheets and basically done EVERYTHING you can possible do with a horse!

Am I being difficult in saying no to this- its been almost 3 weeks since they first saw him and I have dropped the price so much!

GRRRRRRRRRRR

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I don't think you're being difficult at all - the whole thing smacks of time wasting to me.

Tell them to put up or shut up. How annoying.

Weezy

Visit site
DONT DO IT! I took my horse to a show for someone and I am sure I was just being used for a free ride - horse was ridden 3 times including at the show and then it was a "No" although he hadnt put a foot wrong!!!

Just tell them sorry but you are not prepared to do this and if they could please make up their minds this year you would appreciate it - in fact tell them that he is going in H&H in a big colour ad - that should make them make a desicion!

Claireg9

Visit site
Id say No too, explain your not prepared to do this the risk to yur horse is to great.
Also let them know that your advertising else where too, then they might be quicker to make up there mind!
People like this are very annoying!

Kelly1982

Visit site
I would say no too, half the time you put yourself out for people and the answer at the end is still 'NO' anyway.

If they are seriously that interested then they will buy him anyway, they have seen his competition records so they know how well he has done.

Tell them to take it or leave it!! If you haven't overly advertised him anyway i'm sure once you do he will be snapped up if these people decide to be funny.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I was not prepared to have muppets come and try Monty, so I bypassed them and dropped his price a lot to make him appeal to a dealer. One phone call later and they arrived with cash and trasport, saw him ridden and jumped, paid me cash and off they went.
I am fully aware they will make a profit but to me the hassle of no muppets meant it was worth it.
tell these people they have had a very extensive trial and you want a yes or no. Do not take him to a show, they can view vdeo as you say.
If they say no, then they were likely to have siad that anyway..

josephinebutter2

Visit site
I had this.

Wanted to sell but hadn't advertised yet as I had a National Final to go to.

They basically came down one or twice a week for 4 weeks and kept saying how much they liked him, but when it came down to it, they said they wanted to look at more horses as he was the first they had looked at.

Total time waisters. 3 people rode him about 10 times. and they did everying else with him.

3 weeks later they called me up and said they wanted him after all.

I said no!

JAK

Visit site
Don't do it - knickers to 'em!
3 weeks is fair amount of time since they first saw him - sounds like they are trying to 'wear you down' to me!

Would you consider doing as hh did & selling him on to a reputable dealer, that deals in good quality animals? Indicate original price to them & see what they offer maybe?

monstermunch

Visit site
Say no! You have done everything possible to show your horse honestly to them. If this isn't good enough then they clearly don't like the horse as much as they say or are complete time wasters! the latter sounds the more appropriate. Stick to your guns. Say no!!

spooks

Visit site
tell them you have other people coming to look at him so you wont be able to take him to a show/their yard. if they think they have competition they will either buy him or stop peeing you around! hopefully!!

Snowberry

Visit site
bloody hell they are taking the mick slightly eh?!

We've taken ponies to shows when we were selling them but only because we were going anyway - I wouldnt go out of my way to take them!!!
I think if they were interested they'd of have the horse vetted by now. Tell them to bugger off!!

filly190

Visit site
If you want something, you buy it. Sounds like these people are either afraid to put their money where their mouth is, or are messing you about. A time lapse of 3 weeks doesnt hold well. They could be skint messers.

Test them, if you think they may be just cautious. Ask for a holding deposit while they are making up their mind. Make the amount £1,000 which is reasonable and tell them its refundable.

If you dont want them to ride at the show, explain nicely that you are using shows now as your "selling window" and because of that reason you must be the rider. Tell them that others will be at the show to see the horse. Get some friends to help you.

I personally would not take my horse to another yard, tell them he could pick up a virus, which is true. It is not good practice to do this in any circumstance.

Be firm with them, its your horse and until the money is in your hands, you have his welfare at stake.

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
dont bother doing it, iv learnt now from working for a large dealers that ppl who make u do all of this arent the ones who buy the horse in the end they just enjoy the thrill of trying horses

MagicMelon

Visit site
Id say no. There's no way Id let a stranger take MY horse to a show or off my yard! They can't expect to either as its such a huge risk. If they were stuck on that, I would agree that I take him to a show and ride him so they can see how he is but that's it.