Grrr. Showing frustration. Chestnut mare temper tantrum!

Three

Visit site
Took the 2yo and her friend out to their second show today. They loaded beautifully, travelled well and unloaded nicely at the other end.
smile.gif

Had quite a long walk through the car park amidst scary lorries, across a road, through the yard - all done with aplomb.
smile.gif

Went into the ring, walked and trotted beautifully. Big class with about 20 youngstock - didn't envy the judge at all!
wink.gif

Was a bit naughty leaving her friend for the individual walk and trot but produced nice big floaty trot.
smile.gif

Stood nicely whilst we waited for rest of class.
smile.gif

We were asked to walk on out of the order we had been in so she had to leave her friend. She started bouncing but was controllable.

Then we were pulled in first!!
shocked.gif

Then it all started to go wrong.
frown.gif

She had the most mahoosive temper tantrum cos she couldn't be with her friend. Calling, struck out at me cos I wouldn't let go and then crowned it with a spectacular rear ending with her going over backwards.
blush.gif
frown.gif

Most disappointingly the ground failed to open up and swallow me.
blush.gif

We were then, quite rightly, asked to leave as her behaviour was appaling and obviously upsetting for the rest of the class.
blush.gif

The judge was very kind and said lovely things and was absolutely right in asking us to leave - in fact I should've retired before she had to.
blush.gif

But how frustrating! Naughty orange trollop!

Now, anyone for Bank Holiday BBQ horse burger?!

Mithras

Visit site
Oh dear. Reminds me of my mare in a big ridden showing class once. She just didn't want to be there so displayed every wheedling, naughty piece of behaviour she could think of. She got her tongue over the bit and flapped it around as she passed the judge, bucked, napped, refused to canter, when I held her dismounted in line waiting for the judge to ride, she continually bit and gnawed on my arm and refused to stand still. Oh and she kept rubbing her head on my breeches and smearing me with purple highlighter. When the judge rode, she refused to canter. Worst thing of all - she is 11 and competes regularly!

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
What a naughty madam! You must have been sooo embarrassed - to say nothing of a bit peed off! At least you got called in first, even if she did then scupper herself!!

Three

Visit site
Not really cheering me up H_H - you mean there might be years of this??!!
blush.gif
Good thing she's destined for dressage.
grin.gif

Chico - I'm still scarlet with embarassment three hours later!
blush.gif
And she's not even my horse!

Chumsmum

Visit site
Could be worse perhaps, at least you were initially pulled in first!

I got bucked off twice at my first show - and my pony was 15yo...

Hope both of you are okay now.

Your story did make me laugh though
grin.gif

Three

Visit site
Oh they do Puppy they do!
blush.gif
smile.gif

Chumsmum - all I can do is laugh it off now (whilst blushing scarlet still!) and put it down to learning.

The problem is she behaves beautifully at home so I've just got to put up with it until she's done it often enough out at shows not to care.
crazy.gif

zeuscleoharmony

Visit site
But think of all the positives AND you were pulled in first! All you need do now is work on the separation thing and instill a few more manners and there will be no stopping you.

A big well done for doing the show and it really cannot be that unusual for a youngster to throw their toys out of their pram - she didn't know she had to be a good girl.

I have no doubt you will be posting shortly that you have won your first class.

Good luck xxx

scribble

Visit site
They all have teenage tantrums to one degree or anohter at tht age. would not worry. i wonder whether to seperte her froom her friend for little while so she leanrs she has to be one her own????

ironhorse

Visit site
I think with a horse of this age I would just take her out again next week, anywhere, even to a pony club show and if necessary take her in the class H/C. Or take her to a friend's place and run a mock in hand class, preferably with some old stagers to set her a good example.
I would also take her to shows without her friend, so that she has to rely on YOU for her confidence.
Even grown up horses can be a pain when they go on outings with a pal. My old hunter wouldn't give the YM's mare the time of day at home, but if he was separated from her out hunting would call endlessly, hurtle in her general direction and then stand next to her as if they were glued together. And he was 15!

Three

Visit site
Thanks Scribble & Ironhorse.

We (her owner and I) have already conjured a 'going out on our own' plan but I really like the idea of finding some volunteers for a mock show.

We did the first two shows together on the principle they would give each other confidence. Obviously madam has just a leetle tooooo much confidence
grin.gif
and can just manage on her own in future!!

fatpiggy

Visit site
Don't worry. My mare is orange, welshD x arab (the best of both worlds!!) stubborn, intelligent and bossy. I've lost count of the number of times judges would say to me "if only she could control herself"...