Grrr!

Bri

Visit site
The full implicatons of owning an unhandled 3 year old have hit me smack in the face today.
Sky is obviously feeling at home and settled - she's turned into a stroppy, stubborn cowbag who's favourite past time is biting you when you're not looking and barging you out of the way.

I know she's not misbehaving as such, she's just never learnt manners. She needs to learn them soon though as she's too big to get away with it.She got a hefty smack for biting and looked most surprised by it! But what's the best way to teach a stubborn 16.1 that likes to set it's neck and drag you around?

Bri

Visit site
Wasn't sure if a chifney was a bit drastic at the moment? She only does it when she's wary of something or trying to get away from something - ie: the hose!

Will definitely try the bottle though! Thanks

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
If you can get hold of one a spanish serretta will sort her out - works via the noseband and does not touch the mouth - agree would not use a chifney on a 3yo, not if you want a mouth to work with afterwards! My filly was a stroppy little madam who would barge, rear and run off - the serretta has turned her into a well mannered little lady
grin.gif

Edited to say - I still think your girlie is divine though
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Bri

Visit site
Any ideas where I can get one from??

She's divine yes- but like most beautiful things she's quickly turning into a pain in the ass!
smirk.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
How about a pressure halter (see Richard Maxwell's for example) and do lots of ground work with your girl. I agree a chifney will get the desired effect, but I just feel it could be a bit harsh on a 3 year old. I would be inclined to try a pressure halter before that... If used correctly they work miracles, literally!

S_N

Visit site
I 2nd the serretta! We used them at a stud I used to work at - though I didn't know they were called serretta's att! Chatting away to Weezy one night enlightened me of the name! They work like a charm and you, as the handler, barely have to do anything!!

dwi

Visit site
Try a monty roberts dually. My mare used to have terrible ground manners to the point where people suggested we sold her for meat but 4 months later she is almost completely sorted.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
You can sometimes pick them up on ebay - other than that, there is a woman in Huntingdon who gets them and would prob post to you - will try and dig the number out for you - or you could try Crendon Saddlery their web page is small pause while I dig that out................................ www.crendonsaddlery.co.uk they do lots of spanish stuff
grin.gif

Edited because I can neither spell nor toipe - see what I mean?

Salcey

Visit site
I agree with a dually. We had a unhandled 15.3hh MW cob x and we started her in a dually and it worked brilliantly, soon as they respect your space your half way there.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Chifney is far far far too extreme for a 3 year old. Get an average parelli style rope halter ( not a be nice which is not nice, and not a dually - crap). Always lead on a 20ft line or lunge line,so that you have length on your side. If the horse is coming round in front of you then carry a stick in your left hand out in front - so that unless she goes through the whip she cant. If she barges into you or leans then elbow into her shoulder is the best option. As for biting - smack is definatley the order of the day. You need to get her to respect your space and the boundaries, I cant stand horses with no manners - and I never put up with it for more than 5 minutes. You dont need to be brutal or cruel - just firm and consistent.

Accy

Visit site
I used a B nice head collar with my three year old, its nice and gentle, after a couple of weeks he was a different horse to handle.. I wouldnt use a chiffney on such ayoung horse who is at best just seeing what it can get away with

Zebedee

Visit site
Also had great sucess with a ' Be Nice'. The 'Be Nice' in the title is a request not a description! Horses soon learn to respect it & then start to 'Be Nice'!