Grrrr Pony died in Wales Latest news

touchstone

Visit site
I don't think it sounds too ridiculous:confused: Crows and magpies will peck out the eyes of an animal that has died of natural causes, and opportunist scavengers will have a go at eating parts of a body. I can only imagine that this is what has happened in this case.

mightymammoth

Visit site
cut and pasted from the article

"But Dyfed-Powys Police said they were no longer treating the death as a criminal matter.

"Barney was a pet and he was so well loved. He was a rescue pony so had had a hard enough life anyway."
'Ritual' theory

Police are investigating an attack on another horse in Cornwall at the weekend.

One of the lines of inquiry police are following in Cornwall is that it was linked with a Satanic ritual.

Dyfed-Powys Police said officers were called to a field on 5 January.

"The horse had sustained several injuries including to the abdomen and the eyes," it said, adding that initial tests had proved inconclusive.

But the force now says it has concluded that the horse died from natural causes.

"There will be no criminal investigation into this matter," it added."

I cant believe there saying there will be no criminal investigation and they are saying the pony died of natural causes?? Am I missing something?:confused:

mightymammoth

Visit site
I don't think it sounds too ridiculous:confused: Crows and magpies will peck out the eyes of an animal that has died of natural causes, and opportunist scavengers will have a go at eating parts of a body. I can only imagine that this is what has happened in this case.

I see, so they think the pony died and then animals attacked it and thats made it appear as if a person had attacked it and killed him.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
When I read original post Im sure it said pony organs had been removed.how can that be from natural causes.puh
The police need to do another PM and do tests.

mightymammoth

Visit site
When I read original post Im sure it said pony organs had been removed.how can that be from natural causes.puh
The police need to do another PM and do tests.

I thought the same but there has also ben that stallion found dead in cornwall so maybe were mixing the two up?

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Some predators do take/eat internal organs first apparently.

Eyes would be crows; they peck out the eyes and even the anuses of live lambs so a dead animal would be second nature. Nature can be pretty red in tooth and claw. So I wouldnt assume that a conclusion of death followed by scavenging is necessarily wrong (though it's possible).

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Some predators do take/eat internal organs first apparently.

Eyes would be crows; they peck out the eyes and even the anuses of live lambs so a dead animal would be second nature. Nature can be pretty red in tooth and claw. So I wouldnt assume that a conclusion of death followed by scavenging is necessarily wrong (though it's possible).

But what about the slits in the abdomen to expose the organs? Thats not normal.

This is from the news.

“They had taken his eyes out and chopped part of his ear off and cut him all along his body and removed his internal organs.

“Whoever did this did not just attack him, they took sadistic pleasure from it. They butchered him alive.

“The vet said it was the worst case he had ever seen. Whoever did this is a very evil person.

“Barney is still in the field as the vet said if they took him away it may do more damage to Fella as he is still grieving. He’s seen some terrible things.

“I am afraid the person responsible will come back to remove the evidence or attack Fella. I think they have already come back, as only part of Barney’s ear was missing the first night, and then his whole ear had been cut off on Saturday morning. I want to see whoever did this locked up, I can’t believe someone is capable of doing this to an animal, it’s despicable.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...cally-mutilated-91466-30078734/#ixzz1jBBqOOKu

Last edited:

touchstone

Visit site
I'd imagine slits could be caused if something like a badger was scavenging, they have very long claws and would want to open the carcass to get to the organs.

team barney

Visit site
Poor owner, I hope they find the justice their pony deserves with or without the police's help.
Sadly the authorities attitude doesn't surprise me, there is no way those injuries could have been caused naturally, and this verdict must have caused even more distress to the pony's owner if that is possible.

R.I.P sweet pony

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Poor owner, I hope they find the justice their pony deserves with or without the police's help.
Sadly the authorities attitude doesn't surprise me, there is no way those injuries could have been caused naturally, and this verdict must have caused even more distress to the pony's owner if that is possible.

R.I.P sweet pony

I agree. The ponys organs had been removed,ear cut off,hmmmmm yeah really natural causes.Bull!!!!!! They need to get off their rear ends and investigate again Grrrrrrrrrr

touchstone

Visit site
Honestly, if you see a carcass that has been scavenged you will see all of the above! This link has some pictures that show what scavengers have done to cows and has good explanations of what different scavengers can do, it is based in the US I think so covers larger scavengers too, but many of the cases were initially thought to be ritualistic or even alien attacks! Oops, sorry forgot the link:- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1681190/pdf/canvetj00562-0052.pdf

Last edited:

MiCsarah

Visit site
We once found a lamb in our fields that looked like it had been mutilated but according to the farmer would of been attacked by a badger. Literally is hole back leg had just gone. Eyes were obviosuly pecked out and have gashes down it. Either a badger or the big black cat that apparently lives around here

HashRouge

Visit site
I did wonder when I heard that the eyes were missing if animals might be responsible for that. I don't think anyone is suggesting the damage to the body is a result of natural causes - I think what they mean is that the pony died and then animals got to work on the body. I'm sure in an article I read the owner was quoted as saying that she normally checked the horses twice a day (morning and night) but that in the morning she didn't see Barney and she just assumed he was lying down in the field. But this means that, if he died sometime the night before, there was plenty of time for surrounding wildlife to get to work on the body.
In a way I'd much rather believe that this is what happened, because although sad, it would just be nature's way rather than the result of some psychopath!
The article someone posted earlier identifies dogs, wolves, foxes, weasels and badgers as scavenger species (there were others, but they aren't found in the UK) and various types of birds, so it's perfectly possible.

MissTyc

Visit site
Unfortunately post-mortem scavenging does happen in livestock :( Many native birds especially cannot peck through hide so they will go for the soft bits - eyes, ears, jawbone junction, jugular, genitals :( :( Horrid and doesn't bare thinking about. But a psych horse killer bares thinking about even less imo :( So sad.

scrunchie

Visit site
It still doesn't sit well with me.

In one of the interviews the owner said there was blood everywhere - even from the eyes. Surely, if the eyes had been removed post mortum there would be little blood?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
True, but crows don't wait for lambs to die, just for them to be incapable of scaring the crows off:( Could have been the same for this pony.

LouandBee

Visit site
Hmmm sounds like the original article was exaggerated some what.

I think the moral of this story is if your horse doesn't come when you go to feed it, don't leave it for another 12 hours but go and find it....

Goldenstar

Visit site
True, but crows don't wait for lambs to die, just for them to be incapable of scaring the crows off:( Could have been the same for this pony.

Yes I think theres a good chance that the pony went down for another reason heart say then was attacked by crows and badgers . Badgers are really strong and I have several times seen crows at live sheep that cannot get up.

mollymum

Visit site
Scavengers wouldn't have worked that quickly - unless it was in the desert. Why did the police decide it was natural causes? What did the vet say? Sorry if I havn't read this properly and have missed something - but, in my experience (I'm the owner of Cindy, who was deliberately mown down last June, in Somerset) the police only like cases where they can make a relatively easy arrest. (Not including PC Allen, of course, who was v. helpful to me.)

touchstone

Visit site
Mollymum, sorry to hear that you lost Cindy under such terrible circumstances. I do think that there was plenty of time for the body to be scavenged and I don't believe that the police would say it was natural causes if they believed that there was any foul play inolved, I'm sure it would be too risky to allow a slaughter to go without investigation if there was a chance that the perpetrators could attack again or even move on to children etc.

HashRouge

Visit site
Mollymum, sorry to hear that you lost Cindy under such terrible circumstances. I do think that there was plenty of time for the body to be scavenged and I don't believe that the police would say it was natural causes if they believed that there was any foul play inolved, I'm sure it would be too risky to allow a slaughter to go without investigation if there was a chance that the perpetrators could attack again or even move on to children etc.
Ditto that. According to the owner she didn't see the horse in the morning when she went to check on the ponies, so he could have been dead for nigh on 24 hours. That seems like plenty of time for scavengers to get to work.

Ladydragon

Visit site
Scavengers wouldn't have worked that quickly - unless it was in the desert. Why did the police decide it was natural causes? What did the vet say? Sorry if I havn't read this properly and have missed something - but, in my experience (I'm the owner of Cindy, who was deliberately mown down last June, in Somerset) the police only like cases where they can make a relatively easy arrest. (Not including PC Allen, of course, who was v. helpful to me.)

12 - 24hrs is unfortunately, plenty of time for scavenging to occur - particularly if there's a diversity of wild life in the area... When our yearling had to be PTS in an evening we kept her in the stables over night and made sure the big doors were all closed up to keep unwanted visitors out... It's a working farm and a very rural surrounding area... I've seen enough effects on a body or permanently downed creature particularly over night...

I'm sorry to hear about your situation... :(

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Inside, reliable info peeps. It's all a load of over-dramatised codswallop. Natural causes followed by scavenger raids. Most of the chinese whispers about the more dramatic "injuries" is also codswallop. Sleep well everyone and don't have nightmares.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I think when her pony didnt come in the morning,she should of gone to check on him to see why he didnt come when called.
I know I certainly would. As said he could of already been dead.

Brandy

Visit site
It must have been awful to find the pony in that condition.

I have to say, that scavenging wouldn't have been my first thought, but surely something that has been eaten would look different to something that had been sliced open with a knife?

His owner shoudl rest easier knowing he died and was eaten than savanged by a loony with a knife.