GRRRRR...MEGA Insurance Rant!

Bri

Visit site
Horse needs bone scan and mri. Vet estimated it would cost about 2k which we can't afford to just pay out, so would rely on Insurance to pay for it.
They happily told us that they will only accept liabilty once they've seen the claim form and will not give us even the slightest idea whether they will cover it.
mad.gif
mad.gif

So they basically want us to pay, then they'll receive the forms and turn round and tell us they're not gonna pay for it.
mad.gif

Not only that, but main policy sheet says horse is insured with 100% money back. Teeny Weeny hidden away small print announces we will only get the full amount if he's PTS. If we chose to keep him in retirement it's only 60%. They also then state if the horse is PTS for finacial or economical reasons they won't pay anything...
mad.gif

And finally...if horse is PTS, they have full ownership of carcass and are allowed to flog it for as much cash as they can.

WHY DO THEY NEVER MENTION THIS WHEN YOUR APPLYING FOR COVER WITH THEM???
mad.gif
mad.gif

So so angry and fed up....is there anyone out there that's happy with their insurance company? Will be needing some recommendations once this is all over!

RunToEarth

Visit site
oh that sounds like a really shite time, im so sorry for you bri. Be careful of posting insurers name, as it may be against T&C ( defamatory thingybobs)

Sare

Visit site
I am very scared at the moment having read lots of insurance horror stories. I am going to have to claim off mine and its seriously stressful that they consider whether to pay out AFTER the event. What if they decide not to and I get lumbered with the whole bill. I'm stressed enough as it is. As you can tell I very much empathise!
frown.gif

Bri

Visit site
Exactly the position we're in. Seriously the whole point fo insurance is that you can afford to have serious stuff done. I'm stressed enough as it is without having to worry about handling barsteward Insurance company.

Rosiie..will not mention name, but think everyone knows who they are anyway...they're reputation is appalling!

Weezy

Visit site
Unfortunately LOU is seldom for the full insured amount
frown.gif

However I am appauled that insurance companies will not give a direct indication as to whether or not they will pay for treatment - if the vet says a bone scan is needed then it is, surely they can at least fork out for that
mad.gif

Feeling your frustration BG xx

Bri

Visit site
GRRR
mad.gif
Really just seems to be one thing after the other at the moment.

I wouldn't mind so much about LOU if it wasn't plastered all over the front page that we'd get 100% back when we clearly won't.

Also the whole flogging of carcass thing really really shocked me. I know they tend to end up as dog meat but it's the last thing you want to be thinking about when your having to go through it all!

We just don't know what to do, he needs the scan and he needs it soon, but really don't have that kind of money especially if at the end of it all I have to get myself a new horse
frown.gif

star

Visit site
my insurance company (KBIS) have been fab paying out my claims, but they wont tell me if they're going to or not. I rung them up the other day to give them an update on my horse, explained my vet had got a 2nd opinion for him and that he would probably need surgery and asked if they would pay. Got the usual, we cant tell you until we have processed the forms. She did say as they'd already paid out on that claim then it shouldn't be a problem, but they just wont tell you for definite. So now I have to go ahead with £2000 of surgery with the risk they might decide they dont like something about it and wont pay up. Very frustrating, but I do believe fairly standard practice.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Have you claimed on his other investigations yet?

When my horse was going through his invetigations i made sure i sent out a claims form on the same day as his first visit to the vets which was £400!!!

Then once they had paid that out (took about 2 weeks in total) i sent him for a second referral and more investigations and kept the insurance company informed every step of the way (just to make sure). Seen as they had paid out for the first part of the claim they couldn't really refuse to pay out for the rest. The only thing they managed to get me on was stabling fees as they only paid 50% which i thought was better than nothing!!

I am insured with NFU and they are excellent and paid out all my bills within about a week of sending the invoices off to them. They ecen paid for all my transport costs.

So maybe you could try and claim on the vets visits and nerve blocks first to see if they will pay for that?? You many have already done this but its just a thought.