grumpy mare

candrews

Visit site
Hi,

Having decided not to rest my mare I am back in riding 5 times a week. However, I have noticed that my mare is getting more and more grumpy about being groomed.

She is much better tied up outside her stable but in her stable she has her ears back, swishes tail and lifts her back legs. Just yesterday she started stomping her front foot. She never goes for me because she is actually very gentle but clearly me grooming her is very annoying for her. She doesn't like being cuddled much generally but these signs of aggression are unusual. This is the first year I have had a full clip but whether i groom gently or softly she gets upset although does get used to is after a while, but the next day she is just as bad again.

Sorry for such a long one - any thoughts?

joanne1920

Visit site
my mares just started to be grumpy too, shes a shetland but threatens to kick if i groom or even touch her belly, some times its ears back and teeth bared if i even go near her!!! ive put it down to hormones and us not having a 'proper' winter ? im going to try some stroppy mare herbs.... be interesting to see what everyone says!...

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Are you stripping her off or leaving rugs still over the quarters while you do the front and vice versa cos it might be that she is just feeling the cold?
It goes without saying that with a clipped coat you need softer brushes (we were always taught a dandy brush never goes near a clipped horse) Perhaps she has such a soft skin that a cactus cloth would be better for her.

candrews

Visit site
I keep her covered and move the rug around and never use a dandy brush so can't be either of those. I think the interesting point is the fact that she is so much worse when in her stable rather than being tied up (when in theory she would be colder)

evsj

Visit site
I have the same thing with mine. Doesn't matter if I use a stiff brush or a really soft one, she still seems really crabby when groomed - tried a cactus cloth too once, not much difference.
She is ok some evenings and not others, there is no real pattern to it. I did worry that she had pain or discomfort in the past but have had an osteo out to check her and aside from small areas of tightness, there don't sppear to be any other reasons.
Tried moody mare supps but they don't really work on her. I just keep her grooming to a minimum at this time of year anyway. She's a grey but fortunately only seems to plaster herself in mud around her head (which wierdly she enjoys having groomed!!) Maybe she has sensitive skin and being full clipped, the brush bristles penetrate and irritate her??

dwi

Visit site
I groom my mare outside when possible. I tend to see the stable as her space and while I demand manners such as moving away from the door before I come in I try not to fuss her too much in there.

Sparklet

Visit site
You are invading her personal space and touching her body - some just hate it and need to make a fuss. My horse will stamp, swish, snarl at me but I usually just ignore her and she stops after a bit.

JaneSteventon

Visit site
I have a mare like this. I just do what's necessary with her and leave her alone as much as possible. She also practically lives out as she is always incredibly bad tempered when stabled. Have noticed she has got rather affectionate lately though, but then I have owned her for four years. Have a gelding who is completely different and the softest most attention seeking horse who loves a fuss and a groom. Guess their just all different.

candrews

Visit site
I think the personal space stuff is probably the key as she has access to her stable all year round and often takes herself in there during the summer for a lie down so very much sees it as her area. Oddly enough, she also likes having her head groomed. I have a spare stable so might try using that as a place to groom and leave her to do her own thing in her stable. thanks everyone.