Grumpy mare!

I See Clover

Visit site
My mare has always been a bit of a grouch occasionally, but recently she been worse than usual. My mum was looking after her over the weekend and was backed into a corner of the stable after my mare tried to kick her. She also took off with her twice over the weekend when brought in from the field.

Today when I brought her in she back me into a corner also, but didn't attempt to kick (I got out of the way before anything like that could happen). She also tries to bite a lot. Her ears go flat back, her head comes level with your face and she clangs her teeth together. She used to do this occasionally, but this is now on a daily occurence.

She is on chaff, pony nuts, small amount of sugar beet and soaked hay. Due to the snow i haven't been able to ride so she has had a while off. She also hasn't been getting out in the field for as long as usual.

My first thought was gastric ulcers, but she isn't girthy or touchy about being groomed. She does try to bit when being groomed but it doesn't seem to be related to any specific area. I could be trying to groom her neck or face and she will do it. She is fine when being ridden.

I usually tie her up in the stable if I am grooming her so she can't rear, bite, kick etc.

Am I just being paranoid or could it possibly be gastric ulcers? Or something else?