Grumpy or not quite right?

blood_magik

Visit site
My oldie hasn't been himself for a few days. He's usually a bit grumpy and doesn't like being fussed with but he wouldn't even let me touch him today.
I went to remove his rug and he put himself into the corner with his ears right back and threatened to kick if I didn't back off.
It's as if he thinks I'm going to hurt him. :(

I put him onto conditioning cubes about 3 weeks ago as he was looking a bit ribby and now I'm wondering if they don't agree with him.

I've stopped the cubes as of tonight and I'm going to phone my vet first thing tomorrow.

Am I doing the right thing?

Janah

Visit site
How old is your boy? How long have you owned him? You know him best and at a guess I think you are right to call the vet as you are obviously worried at the way he is reacting at the moment. Maybe pain related or maybe just the change of food is too much. Do update.

Wishing you the best.

Jane

blood_magik

Visit site
He's 21 now. I've only had him for 18 months but he was my dad's and he had him for five years before he came to me.
He's always been funny about being touched (abused in a previous home) but he was really unhappy about me being in his box today so I took him out and only went in to put up his haynet and a treat ball.

He was better when I took him outside but still not quite himself although he did have a good blast around the paddock.
My dad mentioned that he's felt a bit flat after half an hours work.

Saddle has been checked recently and seems to be sitting properly. Teeth were done in September although he has lost condition since the vet last saw him for his jabs. Hard food isn't being dropped when he's eating.

It won't hurt to get the vet out to check him over.

Last edited:

Kiristamm

Visit site
It could be the conditioning cubes, they are full of starch which can alter moods, its like you or I on a massive sugar hi. My old TB couldn't cope with starch, he was vile on it, biting kicking and hated being touched anywhere.

I think getting a Vet may be a good idea

Hope he's ok,

blood_magik

Visit site
I thought it might be them seeing as they're the most recent addition to his diet. I've stopped them until I can speak to someone about replacing them with something else.

I feel so horrible when he backs away from me :(

Kiristamm

Visit site
I changed my old boy's bute to "tummy happy" ones and he went mental, he could barely even walk in a straight line, his behaviour was dangerous, 2 weeks off and he was back to normal. I think some horses are just really sensitive to what they eat. Hopefully yours is just this simple...

blood_magik

Visit site
well the vets just left. she thinks it's something abdominal as he's really unhappy being touched (possibly ulcers).
she's taken bloods and a poo sample so I should hopefully hear back later today.

jerrys currently trying to shake off his sedative while I find something to do for the next hour and a half

blood_magik

Visit site
the vet phoned yesterday. his white cell count is low which makes her think he's had a virus.
he's still a bit funny about his tummy being touched so I'm to keep an eye for the next week or so. if there's no improvement then she'll come back and do another blood test and possibly scope him.

He was almost back to his usual self yesterday so hopefully it was just a virus and I have my grumpy horse back :)