GSD ear - itch/scratch cycle

Three

Visit site
Sorry - I only seem to pop in here when I've got a question....

Anyhoo - got home tonight and Woody has an 'annoying' ear. Can't see anything in it but it is quite waxy - but then it would be given the amount of time he has his foot in it!.

Is there anything I can use to stop the itch/scratch cycle before he does make it sore?

Obviously we'll head to the vets if it doesn't settle soon. Nothing worse than a sore ear when they're huge GSD ones!

The lovely Woods for those of you who don't know him...

DSC02829-1-1.jpg

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Lovely boy :)

Try aloe vera gel if you have any, on the inside of the ear (but not too deep and don't hoke about) to soothe itching in the interim and do go to the vets sooner rather than later.

My dog's ears are awful at the minute (combination of heat/sweatiness, midges, pollen/gass) and the vet has great stuff called Epi Otic which is the only thing that seems to work for him.
He is also on antihistamines (piriton) as he is a very itchy chap!

Might be nothing but worth keeping an eye on him.

Three

Visit site
Thanks CC - aloe vera it is.

I remember Epi Otic (or something with a similar name) from a previous GSD (a rescue) who had the worst ear trouble as a result of neglect by previous 'owners' (hard to call them that given the state he was in. :mad:).

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
if you phone your vets he will let you have an ear cleaner that is not a POM which might help! in the interim between fri to monday!

CAYLA

Visit site
Obs a vet check as suggested but if u are worried he is making a mess whislt scratching, put a sock on his foot, it will stop him causing any damage with his nails.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Our local Chemist sells Virbac EpiOtic. Dam sight cheaper than the Vets too! :D

Otto went to the Vets on Monday for something similar, although we thought he had a grass seed in there. Turns out he just has minging ears, so Virbac EpiOtic and Surolan ear drops for a week. Had to buy Flea Stuff and Wormer too, £90 later... :eek: :D