Guess the breed/s

MrsElle

Visit site
I foster dogs for a local rescue. Late last year we took on an emergency placement, a seven month old 'big dog'.

He is now 16 months old, rather large, and not going anywhere - our second failed foster dog!

I wanted to know how big he was going to get, as he just keeps growing and growing, so did a doggy DNA test.

I will let you guess what he is before I reveal the results!

He is around 33 inches to the shoulder.

At 7 months:

15036322_10154326834749331_2168253256430941567_n_zps1rfrqdwe.jpg

Now:

17457268_10154726763439331_3498796095218735137_n_zpstrta90rj.jpg

silv

Visit site
He is a handsome specimen, love the black mask. I would say definitely some Mastiff in there, not surprised he is a foster failure. What is his name?

MrsElle

Visit site
You are all too good!

He is 37.5% GSD, 37.5% Bullmastiff, 25% Boxer.

The DNA test was spot on with the three breeds, we do know his parentage. We did the test as a bit of fun, and to double check what we had been told about his parentage as he just seems to keep on growing!

His name is Bruno, the name he came to us with. We didn't feel the need to change it when he arrived as he was only going to be with us short term.....!

He is adorable, daft as a brush, thinks he is a lap dog, and very, very clever. We adore him :)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Lovely looking lad . I would have guessed gsd and mastiff in there too, though I don't have a lot of faith in those DNA tests, I've heard of some that were way out.
If the rescue were informed of his breeding 2 generations back it sounds as if someone was deliberately breeding this mix. The fact that he ended up in rescue at 7 months shows what a bright idea that was ! :(

Chiffy

Visit site
Agree MM! But he does look a splendid dog. I only got as far as the mastiff bit.

Nothing wrong with the name Bruno for a nice big boy. We had the most wonderful big event horse by Sportsnight that we named Bruno, after Frank ofcourse!

MrsElle

Visit site
Lovely looking lad . I would have guessed gsd and mastiff in there too, though I don't have a lot of faith in those DNA tests, I've heard of some that were way out.
If the rescue were informed of his breeding 2 generations back it sounds as if someone was deliberately breeding this mix. The fact that he ended up in rescue at 7 months shows what a bright idea that was ! :(

He was relinquished by a lady with four children under seven, who realised four young children, one large breed puppy and working full time wasn't going to work.

She got him from the lady who purchased him from the breeder. This lady was in an abusive relationship and her partner used to hurt Bruno to get at the lady.

As a result of all this going on in his formative months, Bruno loves children and women, and is very gentle with the smallest of children. He isn't too keen on men until he gets to know them though, and can be quite protective of us.

He's fab though, one in a million!

Amye

Visit site
He is gorgeous! I was going to say mastiff x GSD too! I'm not normally too good with guessing breeds but glad i got that one right :D (mostly)

I can see why you hung onto him :)