GUESS WHERE I AM GOING IN 2 WEEKS

GTs

Visit site
National Western Stock Show - it is like olympia for Cowboys.

Not only is it one of the largest show grounds (showing everything from horses, to yak to Bison), but we got tickets to the Pro Rodeo which includes Bareback Riding, Saddle Bronc, Bull Riding, Tie-Down Roping, Steer Wrestling, Team Roping, Barrel Racing, mutten busting, steer wrestling and a matadore from spain will be doing a bull fighting demonstration.

It is the premier cowboy event in the US - it is going to be AMAZING!!!!

Here are some pictures from the brochure:

mutton3.jpg

mexican05.2.jpg

GTs

Visit site
Mutton busting is for the kids - you see these 6 and 7 year olds hold on for dear life.

The bull fighting is a demonstration, but when I got to Portugal my friend insists I go to a real one, and I would quite like to. It is certainly something different.

GTs

Visit site
The guy who has convinced me to go is a vet - considering his profession, and having worked beside him, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and attend. It would certainly be interesting, and I will with hold judgement till I see it.

But I am also the one who wants my gf to go Zebra hunting in Africa when she goes this year.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I don't quite understand why a (Portuguese) vet advising you to go to a bull fight means its a good thing. Im pretty sure most people could make an accurate judgement on bull fighting without actually having to attend one. As for zebra hunting, well how proud you must be shooting an amazing creature in someone elses country. It is only to be expected from a person with morals like you GTs.

GTs

Visit site
It seems like someone is awfully opinionated.

Bull Fighting is a lot like fox hunting to me - it is steeped in tradition, is controversial, but when you know a little bit more about it, it really is not as cruel as bunny huggers make it out to be.

The portugese style of bullfighting is unique in the fact that for a portion of it, they fight from horses, which is meant to be spectacular. Then 8 men wrestle it to the ground with their bare-hands. The bulls unlike the Spanish, are professional butchered, and do not die of wounds inflicted in the fight. Good bulls get veterinary care, and live out the rest of their life in pasture.

As far as the zebra hunt in Africa - Zebra's run rapant their, they are the cheapest large game to shoot. Foriegn hunters are essential to their economy, producing far more revenue than traditional safari goers. You can not export the meat, so the locals have come to rely on the hunters to feed their villages. Foriegn hunters do a ton for Africa, the country makes millions on people regulating their wildlife for them!!!

Maybe if you learnt a bit more on subjects you would have a more educated response than:

[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure most people could make an accurate judgement on bull fighting without actually having to attend one

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that logic got you know where in your debate here.

MagicMelon

Visit site
You know Im opinionated, we've had the odd run-in in the past. Basically our views are total opposites.

I'm sure YOUR side of the bull fighting and zebra hunting is all lovely and fluffy. However, what about the nasty sides of it? They obviously exsist or these things would not be controversial in the first place.

Why do you feel you have to take part in something before forming opinions? I have never fox hunted however I am able to form my own opinions by looking at the for and against facts that surround it. It's like saying (in simple terms) that nobody can be against Foie Grais unless one has seen it actually happen in front of them...! No doubt you have that on your must-see list also...

GTs

Visit site
In the vast majority of Portuguse bull fighting is bloodless!!!! Not sure the intricate details though!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
QR its not bloodless in Portugal and the bull is usually killed afterwards. It was (maybe still is) illegal to kill the bull in the arena although one bullfighter did that fairly recently.

I am in no doubt about the 'cruelty' of bullfighting-I have actually been to one. However, I find it difficult to go to a very rural and poor area where it is so important to the community and tell them not to do it. The sport is responsible for some of the finest horses and horsemanship to be found anywhere so find it difficult to condemn outright.
also, their religion dictates that animals dont have souls..