Guess who’s home...

catembi

Visit site
He has been on retirement livery for 15 months while I was battling with house purchase, planning permission at new place etc. I have jumped the gun by getting him back before my facilities are ready and felt v guilty about getting him home and was wondering whether I ought to leave him til spring. OMG I am glad I got him now. Feet are on the very point of no return 😥Also looks v wormy. He is subdued, but it’s hard to tell because he’s always been withdrawn.

catembi

Visit site
Urgent farrier visit booked and I will be doing a cleantrax soak on Saturday.

Attachments

• 8BD094DF-D8AF-4962-8662-D444B2E2340C.jpeg
    8BD094DF-D8AF-4962-8662-D444B2E2340C.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 8D04D49B-EBDF-4469-95E3-69637190ADFD.jpeg
    8D04D49B-EBDF-4469-95E3-69637190ADFD.jpeg
    568.9 KB · Views: 49
  • E1225D88-EBA3-48C5-A6F8-EFC6FA030600.jpeg
    E1225D88-EBA3-48C5-A6F8-EFC6FA030600.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 48
  • B5F0EBC6-F6D6-4454-8578-F17F4F950B13.jpeg
    B5F0EBC6-F6D6-4454-8578-F17F4F950B13.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 47

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Wow, what did the livery owner say about that?

Were you charged for regular trimming? If so, I would want an instant refund!

Which area of the country was the livery in? (Just so you don't get inundated with PMs from nationwide over who to avoid!!!).

On the bright side I do think they are entirely recoverable. Lucky Trevor, coming home!

catembi

Visit site
I sent my transporter chap to collect as Trev won’t load into a side loader so I never saw his feet til he was home. I was told that their horses are all trimmed regularly 😥He also has the wormy pot bellied look so I have wormed him. And sent a poo sample beforehand for my own interest. He is very withdrawn but he has never

catembi

Visit site
I was thinking of leaving him there til spring as I thought he was in paradise with loads of friends and I thought it would be cruel to bring him back to my half baked facilities! OMG I am glad I didn’t wait! But I have had sleepless nights wondering if it was wrong to get him!

Reactions: DD

catembi

Visit site
I sent my transporter chap to collect as Trev won’t load into a side loader so I never saw his feet til he was home. I was told that their horses are all trimmed regularly 😥He also has the wormy pot bellied look so I have wormed him. And sent a poo sample beforehand for my own interest. He is very withdrawn but he has never

be positive

Visit site
Those feet are dreadful, my retired horse has missed a trim and I felt guilty because they are a bit long and tatty round the edges but nothing like that, I suppose once every year is 'regularly' to some people, we hear so much about retirement livery, mainly good, but I guess there will be just as many bad ones looking for 'easy money' with owners trusting their horses are being properly cared for.
You must be so relieved you got him before winter set in, he will be happy to be back even if he doesn't show it.

Trouper

Visit site
I wouldn't for a second be wondering if I did the right thing - you certainly did. Horses don't worry about swanky facilities - just where their food and security is coming from and he will know that he is safe with you. He is probably a bit quiet with relief that he can relax now!!!

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
oh goodness his feet o_O
So glad you have him back in your care now.. absolutely not what you expect - to receive your horse back in that poor condition whist under someone else's care :(

I'm sure he is absolutely thrilled to be home xx

catembi

Visit site
And they stole his head collar! He left with head collar and lead rope and came back without! I amazon primed him another set which are coming today. It was a nice cottage craft one as well, and one of those thick elastic ropes as he

be positive

Visit site
Even if they had 'lost' his headcollar what type of yard doesn't have a few spares to send off with a horse, if they are a yard that advertises retirement livery I think a clue to their whereabouts would be fair even if you do not want to name the place it may save someone else going through similar or possibly worse.

AnShanDan

Visit site
OMG those feet are horrendous, it takes a v long time to get that bad :(

I'd be naming and shaming, that is totally unacceptable horse "care".

Reactions: TPO

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
Thats just disgraceful. His poor feet.

I was gonna ask about his fetlocks/hocks after seeing those pics of his tootsies. Poor poor Trev.

Bet he is glad to be back with you and enjoying his lashings of TLC.

I'd be writing that yard a very strongly worded letter after that.

Michen

Visit site
Sorry have to ask, you sent him to retirement livery and never checked on him??

I would be furious if my horse came back in that sort of state an I’d be checking a minimum of once every couple of months if my horse went anyway, potentially lessening if I knew the place and owners really well. What a relief you got him back when you did!

ihatework

Visit site
Sorry have to ask, you sent him to retirement livery and never checked on him??

I would be furious if my horse came back in that sort of state an I’d be checking a minimum of once every couple of months if my horse went anyway, potentially lessening if I knew the place and owners really well. What a relief you got him back when you did!

Very valid point.
I know if you are paying good money then you should 100% be able to rely on a livery to do a decent job, but we have all been in this game long enough to know that doesn’t always happen.

Thank god you got him home when you did, but it’s a good reminder for everyone to do periodic checks in their horses