Guidance needed: Dog rescue volunteer walker

TrasaM

Visit site
Just wondering whether anyone has some pearls of wisdom they can share to help me out. I've volunteered at a local dog rescue here in Cyprus. I got fed up seeing the neglect and ignorance and decided I'd be better off helping out at a rescue and doing something useful. I grew up with farm dogs - never had leads lol, and I walk my friend's dog sometimes but I don't have my own dog.

I started Tuesday and I'm loving it plus it's making me exercise too.
Most of the dogs are not good on a lead plus they're so excited to get out that controlling them can be difficult.
I had one very strong dog this morning who has to be walked alone as both arms are needed! Honestly walking half a ton of horse is easier..plus horses learn faster! Ie pull and we go nowhere but around in circles..would this work on dogs?

Another, a german pointer, is very insecure and fearful and I resorted to dragging him at first as he didn't want to leave the security of the kennels. I'd only got him to walk around the yard yesterday do this was big progress for him.

Possibly some photos might be forthcoming as there are some really lovely dogs here needing new homes away from Cyprus :)

JillA

Visit site
Are they happy for you to give them treats? If so, keep a pocket(or bum bag) with treats in and give one when dog is close to you. They will be busy looking for treats and that is inconsistent with pulling :)

TrasaM

Visit site
imagejpg1_zpsdae7e986.jpg
[/URL]
I'm very taken with this little boy..miniture pinscher I think. Clever lively funny and happy..