Guinness!

sitting_pretty

Visit site
So I've heard quite a few people talking about giving their horses Guinness as a treat, do they really like it as much as I'm told? How much would you give them (assume it goes in their feed)? And are there any benefits?

Cheers!

Foxy O

Visit site
My ridden mare loves it the companion pony hates it. She likes it in feed or from the can. Evidently the queens horses have a bottle a day ( don't really believe that but that's what my mum says)

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Mine get a bottle of Guinness each for their Christmas day treat. Never known one that didn't love it. Yes, I generally just pour it in their feed (which is fast fibre these days, so makes a good beer mash). They will drink it neat too, but that's messier. Not aware of any benefits, its just a part of my Christmas tradition to watch them enjoy it.

Pie's mum

Visit site
Many many years ago I rode Pie to the pub. A nice man came over to speak to us, was chatting to my friend and didn't notice that Pie stuck his tongue into his glass.... Twice! I couldn't own up as I didn't have enough money to buy him another pint!

Irish gal

Visit site
I've no doubt that a bottle would be good for them. For instance it was used here in Ireland as a way to build up sick people, and I'm not joking, for many years. My mother was very sick as a youngster and there was no cure. So her hospital treatment comprised of a bottle of Guinness a day. It was believed to build up people's strength, hence the old advertising - Guinness is Good For You! It certainly won't do him any harm.

Micropony

Visit site
I've no doubt that a bottle would be good for them. For instance it was used here in Ireland as a way to build up sick people, and I'm not joking, for many years. My mother was very sick as a youngster and there was no cure. So her hospital treatment comprised of a bottle of Guinness a day. It was believed to build up people's strength, hence the old advertising - Guinness is Good For You! It certainly won't do him any harm.

I am not Irish, but the women on my mum's side of the family were the same (and all lived well into their 90s). My great grandmother had a thing for jugs of something called milk stout, that I really don't want to think about in more detail!

The Micropony, it would seem, is partial to a slurp of lager. I can't stand the stuff so take no responsibility for that whatsoever, although I can't imagine a mouthful will harm him!

dominobrown

Visit site
My English bred TB X didn't like but my ISH loves it, must remind him of home ;) Also he looks a bit like an upside down pint of Guinness, black with white socks!

rachk89

Visit site
I want to give my horse some this year for Christmas but then do wonder if it is a good idea to give a horse that almost has adhd alcohol!

Colivet

Visit site
I've also known it to be given weekly in feed in a large riding establishment, though more as a tonic than a treat. There has to be some benefit in it, perhaps iron content, as the Blood Donor centres in Ireland offer it to donors after blood is taken.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Its definitely an Irish thing to give racehorses a drop of Guiness as a regular part of their feed. Full of iron and vitamin B. My mum drank it when she was breastfeeding me despite the fact she doesn't like beer of any description.