gungy eyes

Visit site
one of my geldings has gungy eyes at the minute. I have been bathing them reguarly with cold water and cotton wool and have been told it has been caused by the flies.

He is now wearing a fly mask in the field to keep the flies away from it. Is there anything else I should do or will this clear up on its own?
confused.gif

TigerLilly

Visit site
my mare is the same at the mo i have brought some saline solition and have been using cotton wool but if it keeps on i am going to buy some golden eye ointment which is very good also hope this helps

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Mine horse's eyes have gone gunky this week too which I also put down to the flies.

Try bathing them with cold tea, and apparently cold milk is prett good too. I also use eye washes like Optrex if it gets worse, but if they start to get really icky you might find you need the vet to prescribe a conjunctivitis treatment.

pocket

Visit site
Cold tea is fantastic for conjunctivitis in horses and dogs. Always use it on my horses and my dog had an episode a few months back and it was clear after about two days
wink.gif

nedzy

Visit site
Hi,

My vet has given me some eye gel for my mare's runny eyes, but after having a go, don't think that I'm actually getting it in her eye. Its just kind of sticking to her eye lids. How should I be doing this?