Gut balancer recommendations please!

Ellietotz

Visit site
I may be looking for something that doesn't exist here but I'm hoping to find a gut balancer that has no alfalfa in, maintains healthy PH levels, helps growth of good bacteria, binds mycotoxins and gets rid of harmful bacteria etc to support fore and hind gut on a day to day basis and protects through any stressful situations or feed changes etc.

Any suggestions?

Ellietotz

Visit site
Have you had a look at BIO MOS and Mycosorb A+ to see if they would be suitable?

They both sound round about what I'm after. Would you need the mycosorb with the BIO MOS though? Only thing I can't find with it is hindgut support unless I'm missing it!

flying_high

Visit site

The narrative sounds great. But not so keen on the main ingredients. In order with biggest amounts first.

Dehulled soya bean meal, Wheatfeed, Distiller's wheat grains, Unmolassed sugar beet, Calcium carbonate, Liquorice root (4.0%), Full fat linseed, Alfalfa, Pumpkin seeds (2.0%), Fructose oligosaccharides (2.0%), Monocalcium phosphate, Mannan oligosaccharides (1.5%), Comfrey (1.2%), Sodium chloride, Cane molasses, Magnesium oxide, Mixture of: Blackcurrant, Kale, Spinach, Beetroot, Rosemary, Rosehip, Pomegranate (0.4%)

So the largest 3 ingredients are Dehulled soya bean meal, Wheatfeed, Distiller's wheat grains!!!! Urghhh

Leo Walker

Visit site
Im not keen on processed stuff either but it doesnt seem to bad. Wheatfeed isnt a hit with me but soya I dont mind. Mine has pinkmash and looks amazing on it. I guess its all relative as it contains such small amounts.

flying_high

Visit site
Im not keen on processed stuff either but it doesnt seem to bad. Wheatfeed isnt a hit with me but soya I dont mind. Mine has pinkmash and looks amazing on it. I guess its all relative as it contains such small amounts.

But IS it such small amounts, if it is the main 3 ingredients listed in a 20kg sack of balancer that are feeding 100g/100kg bodyweight per day. So feeding 500gm grams to the average horse?

I prefer to avoid Soya, wheatfeed, and wheat grains.

Ellietotz

Visit site
But IS it such small amounts, if it is the main 3 ingredients listed in a 20kg sack of balancer that are feeding 100g/100kg bodyweight per day. So feeding 500gm grams to the average horse?

The ingredients put me off a bit too, the description of it initially though was very persuading! So far, I have Science Supplements Gut Balancer, Readysupp Digestive Care, BIO MOS and SNP Nutri-Gut that are potential candidates. I just don't know which one!

Ellietotz

Visit site
Okay so me being my normal obsessive-self, this is what I've come up with:

Readysupp Digestive Care
Contains: MOS, FOS, Live Yeasts, Slippery Elm, Linseed
£100 90 day supply

Nutri-Gut
Contains: MOS, FOS, Yeasacc, Sepiolite Clay
£52.50 60 day supply

BIO-MOS Pro Earth
£14.99 100 day supply

Science Supplements Gut Balancer
Contains: Pre/Probiotics, MOS, betaglucans
£44.99 60 day supply

Which would you go for? :lol:

flying_high

Visit site
Okay so me being my normal obsessive-self, this is what I've come up with:

Readysupp Digestive Care
Contains: MOS, FOS, Live Yeasts, Slippery Elm, Linseed
£100 90 day supply

Nutri-Gut
Contains: MOS, FOS, Yeasacc, Sepiolite Clay
£52.50 60 day supply

BIO-MOS Pro Earth
£14.99 100 day supply

£44.99 60 day supply

Which would you go for? :lol:

I chose

£44.99 60 day supply
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...mmendations-please!/page2#qcjkWW6kc0TFbFrC.99

To support the hind gut of my ulcer horse through medication and coming off medication. Don't feed anymore.

Leo Walker

Visit site

So probably a 100gms of each, compared to 10kgs of grass/hay a day. Its a drop in the ocean. Wheat feed is pretty common as a filler unfortunately. The OP feeds fast fibre so I cant imagine a small amount of wheat feed would be a deal breaker.

jgmbng

Visit site
I have both of mine on Equimins Pro-bio. No alfalfa (as far as I am aware) but no toxin binder in it either. Maybe this could be added separately ? The ponies look really well on this and it's reasonably priced.

Ellietotz

Visit site
So probably a 100gms of each, compared to 10kgs of grass/hay a day. Its a drop in the ocean. Wheat feed is pretty common as a filler unfortunately. The OP feeds fast fibre so I cant imagine a small amount of wheat feed would be a deal breaker.

The fillers wouldn't put me off really but unfortunately, it has alfalfa anyway!

Ellietotz

Visit site
I have both of mine on Equimins Pro-bio. No alfalfa (as far as I am aware) but no toxin binder in it either. Maybe this could be added separately ? The ponies look really well on this and it's reasonably priced.

That looks good... the bio mos in it is a toxin binder though isn't it?

Ellietotz

Visit site
I am so stuck on what one to go for, it's driving me mad! Isn't mycosorb the same as bio mos apart from it just doesn't feed the good bacteria? Or am I better to go for something that has a mix of MOS and yeasacc in?