Gut feel and livery yards

chaps89

Visit site
The very nice but neglected little yard to rent has fallen through (knackered fencing, with the a3 one side and a golf course the other, which YO couldn't justify repairing/replacing) so I've started looking at other options.
How much do you base your decision on when to go on pure gut feel?
I saw a few yards today.
2 of which were very different but both good options.
1 is grass livery (less work, less crucial if I don't get down on time, YO happy to let me manage her weight still by coralling in summer as necessary, big fields well maintained. But working farm (so many noisy cows right in the middle of the yard) and does get wet in winter. However it felt like there was quite the atmosphere as I walked around and farm hand who showed me about said it could be quite cliquey)
1 assisted DIY (turnout is daily in winter but how much can you trust that, less flexibility in routine and more work if she's in. But lovely people and nice atmosphere)
Both in a similar location, similar facilities, 1 about £50 a month more than the other.
On paper the grass livery option is best for us. But when I think about which yard I want to go and spend time with my horse at, it's the assisted livery yard.
I do have a few more places to drive around tomorrow so it may all change again anyway.
Guess I'm just curious what helps you decide on a yard and if you've ever got it wrong (and if so if you felt like you were making the wrong choice at the time or not)
Its been a long time since I last looked properly and it seems yards are closing down rapidly and DIY is becoming a rare thing indeed so there's definitely less choice or margin for error!

chaps89

Visit site
Honestly, I think she will be happy at either - I ruled out any I didn't think she would settle at or wouldn't suit our needs (biggest priority being the turnout setup) :)
I have a slight question mark over how she'd react to the cows at the first yard, I guess they get used to them (certainly none of the horses already there seemed even remotely fussed) but they're about the only thing she gets a bit unsettled by.

chaps89

Visit site
Thanks, sorry you've learnt the hard way though!
Today's offering is a yard I was at previously with my old horse.
Its big, massive, pull is my instructor can still come to me there and I won't have to start totally from scratch for physio, saddlers etc I don't think either.
Turnout is much the same as the other assisted DIY yard, still has a good school and hacking but not the walker/all weather canter track/ grass tracks as the other 2. Again, cost similar.
This one is more in the direction of work too, I'd be doing about 20 miles a week less than the other 2 yards (which would still save me over 100 miles a week on travelling to my current yard!) Downside is if the m25 is squiffy I'll be late getting to her which isn't great, the other 2 being that bit closer to home are at least less problematic in that respect.

My brain actually hurts now with trying to decide!

chaps89

Visit site
Thats a good way of putting it.
Either of the 2 assisted yards. As yards, the one closest home makes me saddest but my instructor has really turned things around for me and madam and I really desperately don't want to lose that. So if there's a way of keeping my lessons then that wins hands down.
Funnily enough, not the grass livery place even though on paper it really is the best option.
I think that gives me my answer, thankyou!