Gutted grass sickness and my poor 3 yrs old

tikino

Visit site
it was confirmed today with the second lot of bloods etc that Ellie defanately has chronic grass sickness do you have any advice experience with treating and nursing horses with this

lizzi2

Visit site
Think prognosis is mixed - your vet should be able to advise exactly what's best for Ellie.
Holistic therapies can be helpful (herbal remedies, homeopathy,etc), - your vet will be able to advise what maybe worth trying, or get a homeopathic vet consultation even? Hope she gets better soon.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My friend has pulled her mare through cronic GS she was so thin she was bone and fur would not eat or drink, sat hours and hours in the stable studying her, she came to conclusion she could not swallow as it hurt, after loads and loads of feeds, she tried fast fibre. That was the turning point. she has almost fully recovered

Rueysmum

Visit site
P.S. I note from looking at the thread that there have been no official updates on it since 2011, but I remember a reference to it just the other day where it was stated that he is still doing well!

lornaA

Visit site
I have no advice but i just want to say that i am thinking of you and Ellie. I dont know if there have been more cases than usual this year but there have been a few down here that i have heard of but they werent the chronic version they were the other.

applecart14

Visit site
I have no advice either but feel very sorry for you.

I know if it were my horse that was diagnosed I would move heaven and earth to try to save him, and would spend every waking minute with him if I thought it would help.

Don't give up hope.

I wish you all the best x

special design

www.unitedcolouredstud.com
I currently am in the same situation, my mare coliced 2 weeks ago and was operated on, she had a biopsy that came back severe nerve damage and positive grass sickness they thought it was acute, I can fetch her home next week and she is eating, they turn her out for most of the day weather permitting as she has a young foal at foot, she is eating hard feed but not to bothered about her hay ledge, she is improving everyday although I am scared of fetching her home I am very hopeful, so dont feel your on your own, it's a terrible thing for our horses to get, I lost one a few years back with acute gs, I am trying to stay positive, everyday is a bonus, pm if you want to chat as I have spoke to lots of people who have supported me, just hope this gives you some positive feed back.

MochaDun

Visit site
T I have no knowledge or advice but am sure many on here who have been through that nightmare will be able to help. I hope it improves for both of your sake's. Seems to be so much of it around at the moment or similar things for some reason :(

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Hi tikino and patchandloopy am on iPhone so only a brief reply I'm afraid. My mare is currently over a month into chronic grass sickness. It is a real roller coaster and the prognosis is guarded although recovery is possible. There is a really good fb group named grass sickness awareness - its great support along the way. I would be more than happy to share my experiences thus far with you - just let me know and I'll pm you my number. Best wishes x

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Did you see the vet programme on Animal planet about the DIK Vet?? THey had a mare in with sever GS .

She pulled through as my friends mare did . I think the best way forwar is to keep the mare eating and drinking .:)