Gutted.... Working Pupil Positions?

SillySausage

Visit site
I finish university in five weeks time, and it's always been my plan to go and spend a year as a working pupil. Although I know I will never be a 3* eventer or a gp rider I've got the drive and determination to know that I really, really want to learn as much as possible now whilst I'm in the position to. I have a solid background working with various types of horses and many references available to future employers.

I've had a working pupil position with an eventer sorted since February, but was informed a few days ago that they can no longer take me on. To say I'm gutted is an understatement, but I know how fragile the sport can be.

Anyway I waffling now... I've appled for about 8 similar jobs since Wednesday and have as of yet had no answer either way from any of them. I was just wondering if anybody knew of any working pupil positions going?

I'm happy to go to a dressage or eventing yard, but I really need to be able to take my horse and living in is pretty essential (one parent moved to america and the other following so my horse and I are pretty much homeless!)... Also as near to Warwickshire as possible. I know that's fairly picky but I would like to be (fairly!) near to the bf so I have got somebody near me (3ish hours circumference is pretty reasonable I think) and I am restricted by transport too. However, I'm open to options so may be persuaded otherwise by the right job.

Thanks everyone :)

NR99

Visit site
Hey,

Sorry to hear your news, what a pain.

I know Jay Halim was looking for someone, find him on Twitter or his website is http://jayhalim.co.uk/home.html

Don't know what job description is etc but worth getting in touch, he's Gloucester way which should be doable?

Good luck, hope you find something.:)

Willeeckers

Visit site
I spent 6 weeks at David Pincus's yard back in 2005, had accommodation, food for myself and livery for my horse ( including all bedding and hay) plus a lesson a day in return for working on the yard.

He's a bit rough round the edges and maybe not every bodies cup of tea but he sure as hell shook my riding into place in such a short place of time. You have to earn any praise when he teaches - if he tells you something is good then you know it is, he dosn't pander to people!! The accommodation is nothing special - bit like being back in uni halls. I didn't get any chance to go out competing but if you intend to spend longer than I did then you might get more chances. He also used to have a number of stallions so as well as the dressage there was stud work to get involved with.

He's based at Bartestree near Hereford so not close to Warwickshire but not massively far away and from memory I think we used to get a day and half off each week.

Have a look here if your interested http://www.sheepcote.co.uk/workingpupils.asp

Best of luck with your search :)

SillySausage

Visit site
Hey,

Sorry to hear your news, what a pain.

I know Jay Halim was looking for someone, find him on Twitter or his website is http://jayhalim.co.uk/home.html

Don't know what job description is etc but worth getting in touch, he's Gloucester way which should be doable?

Good luck, hope you find something.:)

Thank you, no that's not too far at all.

I will drop him an email of some sort!

SillySausage

Visit site
I spent 6 weeks at David Pincus's yard back in 2005, had accommodation, food for myself and livery for my horse ( including all bedding and hay) plus a lesson a day in return for working on the yard.

He's a bit rough round the edges and maybe not every bodies cup of tea but he sure as hell shook my riding into place in such a short place of time. You have to earn any praise when he teaches - if he tells you something is good then you know it is, he dosn't pander to people!! The accommodation is nothing special - bit like being back in uni halls. I didn't get any chance to go out competing but if you intend to spend longer than I did then you might get more chances. He also used to have a number of stallions so as well as the dressage there was stud work to get involved with.

He's based at Bartestree near Hereford so not close to Warwickshire but not massively far away and from memory I think we used to get a day and half off each week.

Have a look here if your interested http://www.sheepcote.co.uk/workingpupils.asp

Best of luck with your search :)

I can deal with 'rough round the edges' haha. Looks lovely... will get in contact with them too. Thank you very much!

brown tack

Visit site
Was going to say pincus aswell about 1hr 15mins from you. Plus as a bonus he's 10mins from the town centre by bus, 1/2mile walk from the main road but the buses still run on a Sunday and don't stop till the early hours so you can still see the night life in Hereford. I get on fine with him, his wife's a fab instructor and daughter is a very good rider. You will learn so much.

Cyclops

Visit site
Emilie Chandler was looking for someone a little while ago - may be worth getting in touch with her - she's between Grantham and Melton - so not far from Warks/Leics

Princess Jess

Visit site
That's such a shame your place fell through...
I hope you find somewhere to go, I'm planning to do a wp position after uni too so always on the look out for places to go (I'm just about to start my first year though so still a little while off!)

SillySausage

Visit site
Was going to say pincus aswell about 1hr 15mins from you. Plus as a bonus he's 10mins from the town centre by bus, 1/2mile walk from the main road but the buses still run on a Sunday and don't stop till the early hours so you can still see the night life in Hereford. I get on fine with him, his wife's a fab instructor and daughter is a very good rider. You will learn so much.

I'm having trouble logging in to my 'proper' email at the moment (gahhhh!!) but as soon as it lets me log in sounds like they're definatly worth an email!

Cyclops

Visit site
oops - sorry about that- just noticed that Emilie was looking for someone when I was at her yard selling a horse. - Good luck Hope you find somewhere wonderful

kerilli

Visit site
i asked on the EventRidersAssociation Fb page, and got a few responses, please have a look on there OP.
Leonard Goerens, Nick Campbell, Emma Hyslop and Fiona Davidson are all looking for WPs apparently. Some details on the thread.

millitiger

Visit site
Would definitely give the Pincus' a call if you are serious about improving your riding.

I was there for a year (moved out at 16 to go there and took my 4yro mare) and David and Serena are really, really good at getting you riding well.

You get a lesson EVERY DAY on a high level schoolmaster or your own horse if it is up to standard (I rode their horses in the lessons and my horse after work to get the most out of the training)- absolutely invaluable.

David is a bit sharp but if you work hard you will be given opportunities to ride other horses as well as your daily lesson.

I would probably give them a call instead of email but don't be put off by David's brisk manner if you get him on the phone- I was terrified when I called the first time but it is worth it for the super tuition :)

HazyXmas

Visit site
Sorry to hear that your wp place fell through. Lucy Jackson was looking for someone, not sure if she filled it or not but she might be worth a call. She's a really lovely rider & nice person to work with. PM me if you need her number.

Good luck.

SillySausage

Visit site
i asked on the EventRidersAssociation Fb page, and got a few responses, please have a look on there OP.
Leonard Goerens, Nick Campbell, Emma Hyslop and Fiona Davidson are all looking for WPs apparently. Some details on the thread.

Wow Kerilli... I bow down to you!

That is amazing, I will sit down tonight and take note of them all and start getting in contact.

Thank you SO much!

SillySausage

Visit site
Thank you everyone who has replied on here and sent me PM's - you've all gone above and beyond what I expected.

Will set about making phone calls tomorrow and update you all when I'm all sorted!

SillySausage

Visit site
Did you get sorted with a position? Just interested to see how it went after all the fab suggestions :)

Not yet!

Firstly I sent out emails, then made phone calls on Wednesday. Unfortunatly nobody answered! Was out of my room (where the numbers are written down!) Thursday and no answers again yesterday so will be ringing again on Monday :)

Willeeckers

Visit site
Ditto the comment about David pincus phone manner - don't be put off, its just him!! He is also has a wicked sense of humour but once you can tell when he's joking and when he means it he really is fab!!
His daughter was barely off the lead rein when I was there - just shows how long ago that was :eek:

georgiegirl

Visit site
There was a tweetput out on twitter the other day that harry meade is looking for a rider - it said own horse welcome too.

If I didnt have my job that I do I would be straight on the phone!

SillySausage

Visit site
KatB - fabulous... I would've been gutted if she was as she seemed so, so lovely over the phone!

SupaTrupa... will PM you regarding your suggestion. They have been indirectly very helpful!