GUTTED... :(

Chestnutmare

Visit site
My hubby has been told today that he is in the bracket for redundancies (in the army) therefore til we know whats happening, we have to be tighter with our money, so VERY reluctantly I have had to give Toby's Owner his notice..... something that has knotted my stomach...

Will really really miss this special lad so much he has done sooo much for me and I can't thank Toby enough. (getting all chocked writing this down)....
Last horse I said goodbye to was my old boy.... at the vets this feels a bit like that, feel like I am abandoning him and I truly hate feeling like it.

Just wish we knew what was going to happen with the redundancy so we could at least plan for things.

I said I would help to find him a fantastic home just don't know how to go about doing it?...
I don't want and nor would his owner just any old person having him it would need to be a special home where he could be hacked out having tonnes of fun with someone.

My YO is also asking around people she knows that would offer him a loving home.

Its been an awful day really in all, I had to take afternoon off work to get my head around things, have a huge headache cried buckets today too...

Hate the feeling of being in limbo

Chestnutmare

Visit site
that is bloody rubbish :( you've only just got him and started having fun together :(

Honestly I feel terrible love he boy soooo much soon as I saw his adorable face look at me as he whickered to say hi I burst into tears.... took him for a walk whilst hubby mucked out tonight, I was busy chatting away to him and crying into him..

Government has so much to answer to it really does :(

Tilda

Visit site
Oh no I am so sorry for you, just when life seems to be getting better something like this happens. Big hugs to you and your hubby (being under threat of redundancy is a horrible feeling) xx

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Thanks guys, we both just feel so shocked and bit numb really... it was a total bolt out of the blue this morning.

Trying to keep everything crossed he doesn't get compulsary, he has appealed it paperwork has been sent off again, due to central people trying to use his time served in the navy as time served in the army.... when it doesn't!! :( so annoying.

Didn't want to keep Toby in the off chance we will be OK incase we are not, and not being able to give him what he is used to... it is only fair on him poor lad :(

carthorse15

Visit site
So sorry to hear this! Have followed your posts and always looked forward to reading how you and Toby were getting on. I truly hope things works out for you and Toby. Grass livery? Cosy rugs? x

JosieB

Visit site
So sorry to hear you will have to give Toby up :( I hope he is back to normal now after his virus/cushings scare. Did you ever get to the bottom of what was wrong with him?
If grass livery would help he could stay out with mine free of charge until you found out for sure what was happening.
Whatever you do I am sure you will find him a lovely home.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
So sorry to hear this! Have followed your posts and always looked forward to reading how you and Toby were getting on. I truly hope things works out for you and Toby. Grass livery? Cosy rugs? x

He can't be on grass livery, restriction that his owner wants him in of an evening.
he has lots of cosy rugs that I bought for him....

this is tearing me apart, I am asking my horsey friends if they know anyone that would offer him a loving home.... hope I manage to find it for him.

Boxers

Visit site
yes, they're still recruiting. My friends son has an interview shortly for the army.

I guess they can save lots of money on salaries by making the older more experienced men and women redundant and paying a lower salary to young lads and lasses!

to OP, so sorry you have to let Toby go. I really hope you find a Great new home for him. Can you not hang on to him til You know for certain about the redundancy?

Fantasy_World

Visit site
How about a sharer? At least until you know the situation for certain.

I agree please, please don't rush into decisions OP until you know for certain. You may just end up regretting it in the end if things don't turn out as bad as you expect, I say that with some knowledge of this :(

crellow4

Visit site
Assuming your husband does not apply for redundancy he will have at least 18 months before this will impact. The results of this tranche are not announced until June and then non-applicants (ie those made redundnat rather than applying for it) will serve for a further 12 months. I know it's worrying - my husband is in the Navy, but I don't think this is a decision you need to make just yet. Why not wait until the results are out in June?

Chestnutmare

Visit site
I know the results are out in June, but I don't really want to keep hold knowing that I may have to give him up... it would destroy me more.

Looks like I have found him a fantastic new home with a friend of mine I have known for years so thats really great news with respect to that.

Want to start saving now really just incase..... hubby is contesting being in the bracket.. have to wait a week or so for that to come back.
I'd love to keep him but its costing a fortune to keep him now... I pay it cos he is so worth every penny.

samsbilly

Visit site
Hi Hun hubby's army too have you looked at the redundancy calculator online. Obviously dont know your circumstances but hubby and I are really hoping he gets it when the next lot of brackets are announced x

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I know the results are out in June, but I don't really want to keep hold knowing that I may have to give him up... it would destroy me more.

Looks like I have found him a fantastic new home with a friend of mine I have known for years so thats really great news with respect to that.

Want to start saving now really just incase..... hubby is contesting being in the bracket.. have to wait a week or so for that to come back.
I'd love to keep him but its costing a fortune to keep him now... I pay it cos he is so worth every penny.

I can understand that in a way because the more time you spend with him the more you will get attached and the harder it will be if you did have to truly say goodbye :(
I am glad to hear that you have possibly found him a home though and with a friend to boot. If this friend is local I wonder if they may let you visit and ride in the future? It maybe nice to keep in touch and if your situation doesn't end up as you are fearing then who knows :)

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Hi MW. Your post brought tears to my eyes. I do agree with some of the posts above though. You only found out today and things like this are overwhelming, but sleep on it.... Maybe things will be clearer tomorrow when you have perhaps got over the shock of this news. Don't make any rash decision that you might regret come June xxx

Chestnutmare

Visit site
I can understand that in a way because the more time you spend with him the more you will get attached and the harder it will be if you did have to truly say goodbye :(
I am glad to hear that you have possibly found him a home though and with a friend to boot. If this friend is local I wonder if they may let you visit and ride in the future? It maybe nice to keep in touch and if your situation doesn't end up as you are fearing then who knows :)

Oh for sure I have known this friend since we were 16 now in our 30's, she has 3 top vets at her yard from Liphook Equine Hospital so should anything happen I know he will be sorted out, I trust this friend immensly too and knowing he would be sooo well looked after rests my mind hugely.
Sadly they are down south in Midhurst, but when I go back home to Portsmouth I could pop in and say Hi.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Aw Merlywerly I am happy for you that your mind is at rest now, but at the same time sad as so far away :( big hugs ((( ))) I hope in time everything works out for you and your husband, all the very best for the future x

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Friend now cant take him :( which I am bit sad about but have another person asking about him...
He really is a wonderful boy and its breaking my heart, but I do believe I am doing the right thing for Toby not me...
I am hoping to find him a wonderful new home to be loved and cared for like I have done and more, to be happily hacked about the lanes enjoying what he does best.

I shall be going to have some lessons whilst I am horseless once again, to keep my confidence up and keep me sane!

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Oh MerlyWerly, I remember the pains of looking for a horse on LWVTB, how long it seemed to take, and how much happiness you've found with Toby. I'm so sorry to hear that situations beyond your control means you can't have him anymore 80(

I won't bother stating the obvious about cutting the budget in other ways, keeping him until you know more etc. You have made a difficult decision already, and I'm sure if you'd any other way to get round it that you would have found it by now. Keep doing the lotto just in case ;0)

I sincerely hope that your OH successfully wins his appeal against being placed in the redundancy bracket, and that the financial future is solidified quickly. Is there any chance of this happening soon enough that Toby can be kept?

As hard as it must be, at least take comfort from having known Toby so well, you are more than qualified to find him the kind of owners and future you know he needs. We all know you'll make a great job of that if/when it happens 80) Big hugs to you!