Gypsy Cob losing feather !!

moandben

Visit site
Hello,

Just wondered if any one else's Heavy cobs are moulting out there feather..

My boy normaly has alot, starting at the knee on the fronts going full length to the floor, there is no signs of anything nasty. Just wondered if it could be the extra hot weather we are having.

Any idea ??

Jen

Fransurrey

Visit site
Check other ponies aren't eating them!! God knows why, but when I loaned a cob a few years ago, Henry took to chewing his feathers off. The owner accused me of letting him get mites. The little sod caused me grief, he did! Neighbours of the field had seen him chewing them, though. You could treat for mites as a precaution, like I did.

samlovesprilly

Visit site
I don't have a heavy cob but a welsh sec d with decent amount of feathers on her legs, but i've also noticed that shes been loosing more feather every time I see her!
Very odd as she didnt have masses to begin with but now only has a few wispy bits on her front legs and a bit more at the back.
Like you, I've noticed no mites or anything that could be causing it but havn't thought it might have been a reaction to the hot weather.
Would love to hear if anyone else had ideas on this too!

lara b

Visit site
big hairy has lost lots of feather since winter but this is our first summer together so not sure if that is more than normal for him... will have to start calling him the big not quite so hairy! ;)

starsnrunes

Visit site
Mine boy's have got really thin and short recently :(. He usually has decent front feathers that were quite long at the beginning of summer, but last few weeks they've just dissappeared.

He's on individual turnout so noone is eating them, He's not been rubbing so doubt it's mites;he's had them before and it was obvious, and where they've got it's impossible for him to stand on them - Part of me was wondering though if he's been walking through thistles and pulled them that way.

Going to try give them a good wash when I get time and PO&S them. (Which admittedly we've got lax in doing the last couple of months so wonder if thats played a part.)