Gypsy fell over on the road

Irishcobs

Visit site
It only the second time he has been out in about 6 weeks as he's not the easiest of horses and with my back and leg I didn't think it was wise (he has been lunged and ridden in the field).
He was being very very good, walking home on a loose rein (something that only happens once in a blue moon) and he just fell on to his knees, his head and neck went right down on to the road. I some how stayed on and he got back to his feet and trotted off. I stopped him and jumped off to check his knees and apart from a few burnt hair on his left knee and some marks on his hooves, there no grazes, blood, nothing! I lead him home as I was only a few hundred metres away and mum trotted him up and he was sound, but I'm going to give him a few days off because he must of pulled some muscles.
I however have pulled my left thigh muscle staying on so now have two lame legs! I'm going to have a hot bath soon I think.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Thanks.
It was indeed. I burst out crying when I saw he wasn't hurt, I was so relieved and shocked, it happened so quickly.

teapot

Visit site
Glad you're both ok,

Makes sure tomorrow that if he's stabled over night, he's not too stiff. might show it more tomorrow

Irishcobs

Visit site
He lives out. But he will be checked for lumps and sore spots first thing tomorrow. And I will walk him tomorrow afternoon, to see how stiff he is.

Irishcobs

Visit site
1: he can't wear boots of any description
2: he drives so can't have rolled toes
3: loose reins didn't have anything to do with him fallen and he would of fallen even if I had tight reins and I was rewarding him for being good.
It was a freak thing, could of happened at any time, he did not trip, he just fell, nothing caused him to do it!

Binky44

Visit site
My Mare goes down on her knees in the road sometimes. I bought some knee pads for her and never ride out without them now. She is quite nervy and rather than shy or jumps, she sometimes falls down. At first I was really upset and worried about it, but it is part of the way she deals with things and I although she is much better, I am wary of the fact that it could injure her. But she just gets up as if nothing has happened and carries on. Vet doesn't think there is anything physically wrong with her.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Both fine thanks. Gypsy has no lumps, swellings or sore spots. He trotted across the field this evening for his dinner fine. But I'm still going to give him a couple of days off.
I'm fine I think the hot bath did me good.