H&H Article Re. Breaking horses...

showing jacket which one?!

• Total voters

severnmiles

Visit site
Just read the article regarding 'making young horses', one guy made a comment that most people either can't or won't break horses.

I've broken 20 odd and its my preferred way of doing things, you get to know them, what they like, they have no bad habits and I find the bond and trust is far stronger between the two of you.

So...do or would you break your own or someone elses horse?

Henmen

Visit site
Im in the process of breaking my 4 yr old mare, im a complete novice, never done it in my life, and our top dressage rider and trainer said im doing a great job today!!

I cant afford to buy a ready made good horse, so im having to do it myself, and given the choice of a 3/4 yr old or a 12 yr old, id take the youngsters again tomorrow
smile.gif

ihatework

Visit site
I've never done one totally by myself before, but have done a couple whereby I have had a more experienced person to help me and have ridden a number of just backed youngsters.

So my current horse will be my first one I do myself next year (although I will enlist a helping hand from a couple of friends as you do really need 2 people), this is all providing that when the time comes I have the time to devote to it. If I hit difficulties I will invest in professional help as early mistakes can be costly in the long run.

ihatework

Visit site
It is indeed, he will be 3 next May and over the last month has really started to fill out! Really looking forward to it now, especially as my main horses is a cripple and I have nothing to compete atm.

Have you had any interest in Rhi?

riotgirl

Visit site
I've been breaking in my 10 year old Welshie who I got last year. Never, ever, done it before but I have my extremely experienced neighbour helping me and I figured I've got to start somewhere! It is extremely challanging (mainly as she has spent 9 years doing what she wants to do), but it is a fantastic feeling when you get even the smallest of breakthroughs!

miamibear

Visit site
I have helped a girl break 2 of hers in, it was a wonderful experience and both horses are really quiet and have total faith in her now, therefore i think its a super idea.

I, however wouldnt do it without help as im not experienced enough and i believe its something you can do wrong very easily!

xx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Considering buying a two year old that will be ready to back next year. Never done it before, but will be helped by the chap that starts all the youngsters at our place.

Very excited!!

Weezy

Visit site
I have broken quite a few horses, re-broken a fair few - enjoyed it, but I was being paid to do it LOL

Personally, now, at 32, I doubt I will be breaking anymore, in fact I doubt I will bother buying a very young horse again - been there done that happy to let someone else do the ground work and backing for me and then I will ride away - however, there is nothing better than doing it yourself and knowing that the horse is everything YOU made it
grin.gif

SillyMare

Visit site
Definitely! Have done 3 now (we have a bit of a team approach going).

Have also had several newly broken horses to bring on (and I think that is the difficult bit really).

It is almost impossible to do by yourself though - simple logistics (and safety) requires one competant person on the floor and one to go on top. Ideally 3 people really - one to hold the horse, one to help the rider and one to actually get up.

Given a choice I always feel safer on top although I think the person that knows the horse best and has the best relationship with it should be at the head.

tigers_eye

Visit site
I don't enjoy it much, and don't think I have a very good mindset for it. I sent William away for 8 weeks to be broken in, ie. lunging, long reining, being sat on. Very glad I did and would do it with any others if I'm in that situation again. For homebreds I'd rather not inflict my mistakes on them, I'll let someone who's done it hundred of times do the job for me.

Tempi

Visit site
ive broken three where i worked a riding school and they were my 'projects' to break and bring on. They were then however sold on, so not broken for myself.

When i set out to look for another horse before i brought Archie i wanted an unbroken one but was advised against it because of my back problems (reoccuring slipped disc). However my new horse (whos 5 and already broken) is far from easy!!
crazy.gif
grin.gif

KateStartin

Visit site
broken in quite a few ,but none for me! all for other people. Really want to break in my own and keep it but knowing my luck it would be the really difficult one!!!

Other week there were 2 horses at Frys dressage that i had broken and one won other got placed, so proud of them!!!

claire1976

Visit site
Backed lots of different horse but I hate the term 'breaking' it comes from olden training methods of breaking a horses spirit which hopefully most people don't do to train horses now. I think backing a horse is a much more appropriate term.
Difficult thing with training other peoples horses is that people ride so differently and the outcome for the trainer might not be the one that the rider can ultimately continue (if that makes sense!?)

Halfpass

Visit site
I wouldn't say i've backed a horse but have ridden a few just backed youngsters. Have just bought a 2 1/2 year old that will be ready to back late next year. Originaly my plan had been to do all the ground work then send her away to be backed as I am hoping she is going to be something quite special and didn't want to run the risk of ruining her. However since buying her and having my instructor give me advice I have decided to back her myself. My instructor truly feels that we will have a fab bond and the backing of her will help to improve this. She also feels that I am experienced enought to do this
crazy.gif
. So with her support thats my plan. Quite exciting really.

threeponies

Visit site
I would,as I would only be able to afford a foal/yearling. I bought my Highland at weaning and have done everything with her myself, and would love another Highland to do it all again.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
I have helped to break a few at the NH racing yard i used to work at and rode lots of newly backed babies there.

I will be doing all of the groundwork with my yearlings when the time comes and they will then go and stay at my trainers for starting and basic schooling. I will play a major part of their backing but with lots of help and experience to start them off correctly. I had to buy my yearlings as foals as i simply couldn't afford a 3 year old at the stud where i bought my trakehner from.

By doing it this way i feel that i will know all of their foibles, they will know all of mine and i have complete control of there management for the first 3 years of their lives.
grin.gif

jemima

Visit site
I've done several in the past but I'm too old and fat to do our AA mare and my daughter is too inexperienced - and she's a rather special person. So last year we did the ground work up to daughter sitting on her and this year I have an advanced event rider who has done lots of breaking to go through it all again. I'm quite excited because he's so pleased with her. He's been so gentle but firm and we are really watching him "make" the horse. She's coming on so fast!

I'm so impressed that I'm tempted to buy a bigger heavier youngster to carry me. Same deal - I'll start it off and then get him to do the bit that's rather too "exciting" for an old lady!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I generally always have 2/3 breakers on the go. Theres nothing I enjoy doing more, except maybe schooling youngsters over fences.
I found that article quite amusing, 'theres no money in it'. I charge only £90 per week for breakers (less if pony) and I make shed loads - I find it is easy money.
Loads of people say to me 'oh isnt it hard work', I just sit there smiling to myself - ummmm no!
I also get asked to 'come round and get on my youngster' a lot - no chance. Backing is 90% handler and 10% rider, and the handling side is where most people fail.

truffles

Visit site
DEFFO not experienced enough yet - but one day, I would (depending how things turned out) would absolutely love to buy a youngster and have the knowledge to bring him/her on. I would not only break my own horses, but then I think if you were going to break other peoples horses you can't really have a full time job i.e Big SJer or something - I for one just wouldn't be able to find the time, hence it would be unfair on the youngster.

If I had the facilities, time and knowledge then YES, I would definately break horses and not just my own.
cool.gif

I read that feature - really interested me - thought it was pretty true and straight as well.

Theresa_F

Visit site
In the process of backing Chancer - who has been the most amazing little horse to do. I have loved every minute of it - he is my first, and can understand why some people sell them once broken to start again.

I have had lots of help from an experienced instructor and learnt a huge amount from both him and the little stinker.