H&H faceache posts

RHM

Visit site
I don't think that there is anything fundamentally unsafe about detachable towbars as long as they are checked and greased regularly and fitted correctly. i have towed a caravan for hundreds of miles with one and had no problems. The manufacturer has to submit them for rigorous testing to get them through EC Type Approval. But, they must be maintained and fitted correctly! As for interfering with reversing sensors, if fitted by a qualified supplier or as a factory fit, the wiring takes into account the towbar being picked up by the sensors.
That puts my mind to rest a bit!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
The first thing I did when I got mine was to replace the detachable tow bar with a proper, permanent one. TBH I'm amazed people still tow with detachables given how many incidents have been publicised over the years, and I still see people defending them as fine :rolleyes:

I've no idea about the article in question, or whatever set up was used there, as I've not seen it. I find H&H's posts on facebook quite grating most of the time.

I've never read about this problem before, but I am not immediately interested in the subject (don't have anything like a trailer) so I've not researched it.

But I think, like most people, that if a device or accessory has got type approval, conforms to the construction and use regulations and has been properly maintained then it's safe for its intended use.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Except then you end up with Land Rover doing a recall of detachable tow bars which makes you feel less convinced about said approval.

The Land Rover-branded tow bar may suffer from dangerous wear at the point where it joins the rear crossmember. Land Rover will rectify the problem and upgrade the tow bar free of charge, and has issued a recall affecting Discovery’s from the 2005 to 2013 model years, and Range Rover Sports between the 2005 and 2015 models years.

‘If a detachable towbar is used for towing with excessive nose loads, or for commercial towing, or if the towbar is not removed when not in use, it can lead to premature and excessive wear of the detachable towbar within the rear crossmember mounting.’

What Land Rover will do

Land Rover will use a special tool to assess the tow bar’s level of wear. If wear is excessive, a heavy duty multi-height tow bar will be installed, and in more extreme cases, the rear crossmember may be replaced. You will also receive a handbook supplement in your vehicle’s literature pack.

All this work will be carried out free of charge.

JFTDWS

Visit site
But I think, like most people, that if a device or accessory has got type approval, conforms to the construction and use regulations and has been properly maintained then it's safe for its intended use.

I think that people ought to research things like this before putting their horses' lives at risk by using one. It's different for someone like you who doesn't have their own horse or trailer, but if you do use one it's very unwise to assume that any kit will be up to the job unless specifically designed for it. Towing horses is complicated - ensuring the vehicle is up to the weight - because it's at the more extreme end of towing uses. It's not comparable to towing small storage trailers or caravans which is the more common use for many vehicles.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I think that people ought to research things like this before putting their horses' lives at risk by using one. It's different for someone like you who doesn't have their own horse or trailer, but if you do use one it's very unwise to assume that any kit will be up to the job unless specifically designed for it. Towing horses is complicated - ensuring the vehicle is up to the weight - because it's at the more extreme end of towing uses. It's not comparable to towing small storage trailers or caravans which is the more common use for many vehicles.

You're right; if I was to start towing my own horses, or a boat on a trailer, I would do more research and take classes in towing.

But to be able to afford all that, I will have had a decent win on the lottery, so I'd go and fill up all the C and D categories (and get back my category H) on my licence, too, and have a SUMB, a Unimog or an Iveco Massif fitted with a six cylinder, six litre Perkins engine.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It’s not clear what make of detachable tow bar was involved in the incident, but here’s a link to one manufacturer’s video of how theirs fits to an X5.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It seems like a huge faff to do each time, grovelling on the floor at the back of the vehicle, and the potential for user error or incorrect storage in-between times is much greater than for a fixed tow bar.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Definitely, in winter we often used our trailer twice a week, would be great fun putting a tow bar on in the dark. I do wonder how clear LR made it to purchasers that you were supposed to take it off all the time.

PurBee

Visit site
Really the cross member of the vehicle needs to be assessed before towing anything. All the weight is attached to that and most vehicles dont have galvanised chassis and older ones are at risk of rust at the weld joins. Sometimes its even hard to see the cross member fully in modern vehicles!

I bough a defender with a full new MOT for towing. Lots of work done on it etc. mechanic look over on the ground. Bought it. Took it to land rover garage for thorough inspection on car lift...they condemned the entire chassis. Said no way this passed an MOT. Tried to get money back, sue MOT garage etc, solicitor consult etc, advised it would cost the same in court to get money back that we spent on it.
Often times people pitch paint chassis to hide multitude of sins on 4x4’s.
5k later new galvanised chassis, gearbox. Gearbox failed within 13 months, land rover wouldnt replace..12 month guarantee ?
We now tow tonnes all the time with it but we would have had a horrendous accident if we didnt get that vehicle on a carlift and have a thorough inspection. The tow hitch wouldnt have failed, the cross-member would have ripped off.

MrsNorris

Visit site
I have a retractable towbar on my MB glc, factory fitted and up to the weight I tow according to them, but even so, I do worry a bit that it’s not as solid as a normal one. Anyone else have any experience of them or heard anything negative?