h&h pg 97 1st horse

fizz-tally

Visit site
anyone
confused.gif
grin.gif

Sal_E

Visit site
Do you mean in the current issue, i.e. the 4 y.o. event prospect? Description sounds nice, he's clearly very talented, although he seems to have done quite a bit for a 4y.o which doesn't particularly appeal to me (it wouldn't put me off calling about him though - I'd want to make my mind up once I've spoken to them). They say he's a 'definite' 4 star potential - does that mean he's also done some XC do you think? I'd start to worry about concussion etc on a fairly big horse at such a tender age. Maybe he's just from eventing bloodlines & the owners are eventers themselves so feel confident to make that call...

Re the picture, he looks sweet but obviously not ready for the double bridle they have put him in (I THINK that's what it is anyway, apologies if that's wrong). He looks a bit over-bent - that said, even if he wasn't over-bent, that would be a pretty advanced outline to be in, certainly not how a 4 y.o. should be working. Also the legs don't match the outline (of the neck) if you know what I mean. i.e. he is not stepping underneath himself or swinging through enough for the outline. Of course, we all know that a snapshot in time can tell any story but I just feel he should be in a snaffle & allowed to work 'through' more, especially at this age. If he's done dressage though, he's presumable capable of working properly in a snaffle.

Lovely horse though!

Any help?

Sal_E

Visit site
I suppose it depends on what 'done xc means'. If they hired out a course & went for a quiet hack over soft ground with his buddy & popped over a couple of fences just to see how he reacted, then I guess that's fine. The other extreme would be to competively 'attack' a course, jump him big, jump him regularly or jump him over hard ground thundering across the country... Now I'm sure it won't be the latter, but in truth, I'd rather not take a baby xc...

severnmiles

Visit site
Gees thats young! I wouldn't expect my 3y.o's to have left the ground let alone XC schooled.

He's not my cup of tea, but then that could just be the way he's been shown, its not a great pic for an 8k horse.

severnmiles

Visit site
"If they hired out a course & went for a quiet hack over soft ground with his buddy & popped over a couple of fences just to see how he reacted, then I guess that's fine."

I think thats still pretty sad for a 3y.o to be doing that
frown.gif

Sal_E

Visit site
Yeah, I wouldn't do it, but in Ireland he'd probably have been hunted!!! It IS too young, but it does happen.