HA! Success with a stress free clipping session!

Gingernags

Visit site
I have been a bit inspired about some of the clipping posts so I used a different approach on Saturday. Asti is generally OK to clip but not happy having her head done, or her back legs - used to be OK but gets grumpier every year.

I had considered ACP but after reading the sedation post - I thought again!

Anyway, this was the ginger furry one before...

2ndstressage002.jpg

I did her head FIRST this time instead of last, and with the little clippers - and I didn't even have a headcollar on! As soon as she got fed up I changed to the big clippers and did some of the body clipping. Then when my stupid big clippers got too warm, went back to her head.

I clipped the entire ginger furry troll with no headcollar, other than the last bit on her back leg where she was fed up and sister had to hold a front leg up (not that it stopped her moving!!!) but I finished it...

No stressed horsey, no screaming bad tempered me... one clipped ponio!

2ndstressage007.jpg

Good result, thanks Patches for being an inspiration!!!

GTs

Visit site
Good Job

[ QUOTE ]
No stressed horsey, no screaming bad tempered me... one clipped ponio!

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of how much better that is, and how it will improve year on year without that drama.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I too have found that giving them some freedom to move helps, I also use a lickit as bribery for those that are nervous rather than outright scared. I personally prefer to clip outside rather than in a box.

Gingernags

Visit site
I know, we had to twitch her one year as she was being terrible with her head, but so far through she fought it and fell over in the stable - I'll never try that again!

But this was much easier, she could wander around her box as she pleased and I'd just clip the nearest bit that wasn't moving at the time! Hasn't made for the neatest clip in the world, but its practicality more than looks, she came in from riding looking like a cushings case before I did it!

Fingers crossed she doesn't grow it out too quick...

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I too have found that giving them some freedom to move helps, I also use a lickit as bribery for those that are nervous rather than outright scared. I personally prefer to clip outside rather than in a box.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh she's not scared, just a wee bit stroppy! Maybe one of the only things that she's a proper chestnut mare for. She used to be fine but seems to be getting more awkward every year...

Would have tried the outside idea but it was blowing a gale and the farmer would have been none to pleased having his yard and garden covered in ginger fluff - an awful lot of it!!!
grin.gif

Patches

Visit site
Aww bless my Patches for being an inspiration to other horses!

Just been telling my vet all about it on the phone and she wants to see the DVD as she regularly goes out to sedate for clipping!

Well done J and a big well done to Asti for coming to the realisation that there is a better, less traumatic way to react.

Just think....the poor ponio will always be bald now you've discovered an easier way to clip! As for the clip, looks ok from where I'm sitting!