Hack 1000 Miles

atropa

Visit site
Is anyone else doing the YH Hack 1000 Miles challenge? If so, how are you getting on so far?

I signed up last Friday as a hopeful way to push myself to get my nerve back, get myself and my horse a bit fitter and muscle her up. We've recently moved to a new yard with hacking that seems like a dream come true so far.

I'm doing it with my younger mare at the minute, but hoping my older mare may come sound enough before the year is up to join in too. Younger mare has been out of proper work for several months so we're starting out very slow and short, managing 3 miles over the 2 weekend days tracked on my Fitbit.

I'd love to hear how everyone else is getting on, and if anyone is charting their journey on Instagram let me know so I can follow!

pansymouse

Visit site
I'm doing it - I signed up in May and have just passed the 200 mile mark. I use OS MapFinder to track distance. I ride six days a week and cover between 4.5 miles (a quick round the block) and 9 miles (a weekend explore), average 6 miles. My mare is 24 but very fit and healthy - she's loving it but is cross I won't let her belt about at her usual pace because the ground is so hard. There are massive troop exercises on Salisbury Plain at the moment which has also slowed our mileage rate down.

atropa

Visit site
I'm doing it - I signed up in May and have just passed the 200 mile mark. I use OS MapFinder to track distance. I ride six days a week and cover between 4.5 miles (a quick round the block) and 9 miles (a weekend explore), average 6 miles. My mare is 24 but very fit and healthy - she's loving it but is cross I won't let her belt about at her usual pace because the ground is so hard. There are massive troop exercises on Salisbury Plain at the moment which has also slowed our mileage rate down.

Wow, that's an impressive mileage for a quick round the block hack! Well done! To be honest I think I'd be happy with gaining 500 miles in a year, but joining the challenge will hopefully give me the push to get out at all.

Amye

Visit site
I signed up for it but have forgotten to do anything with it! Thanks for the reminder. I know the mileage of most of the routes I do (I get curious) so should just know them depending on where we go! I think I average 5 miles a ride :)

I'll start charting on instagram now i've remembered! Most of the stuff on there is horse stuff anyway. https://www.instagram.com/amyandjuno/

atropa

Visit site
I signed up for it but have forgotten to do anything with it! Thanks for the reminder. I know the mileage of most of the routes I do (I get curious) so should just know them depending on where we go! I think I average 5 miles a ride :)

I'll start charting on instagram now i've remembered! Most of the stuff on there is horse stuff anyway. https://www.instagram.com/amyandjuno/

You're welcome! Will follow you now...my cat's name is Juno :) I'm having fun slowly building up our hacks, exploring the different areas around and seeing the mileage of each of them.

pansymouse

Visit site
Although a keen hacker I've found doing it has motivated me to ride more. Currently my friend is out of action post op so I'm doing mine alone which can be quite dull especially at slower paces.

Amye

Visit site
How is everyone tracking their miles? Are they using an app? I've downloaded the Saferider Lite (as it was free) so that I can save my rides - I know the approx mileage of most of the rides I do but i'm hoping this will stop me forgetting to keep a record of them - I've not used it yet though.

atropa

Visit site
How is everyone tracking their miles? Are they using an app? I've downloaded the Saferider Lite (as it was free) so that I can save my rides - I know the approx mileage of most of the rides I do but i'm hoping this will stop me forgetting to keep a record of them - I've not used it yet though.

I'm tracking it through my Fitbit app, really like seeing all the different routes and mileages I've done (although lets face it, not many so far).

Amye

Visit site
Just been checking out the website as was looking for apps to use... There's also something called Myhackathon going on to raise money for The Brooke. Hack 100mles in 100 days and raise £100. You can start it whenever you like but that's when the 100 days starts I think! I'm thinking of signing up for that too :) There's info on the www.hack1000miles.co.uk website

atropa

Visit site
Just been checking out the website as was looking for apps to use... There's also something called Myhackathon going on to raise money for The Brooke. Hack 100mles in 100 days and raise £100. You can start it whenever you like but that's when the 100 days starts I think! I'm thinking of signing up for that too :) There's info on the www.hack1000miles.co.uk website

That's a really good idea too, will need to look into doing it as part of this. I'm sure I could get work people to sponsor me..