Hackamore and Bit Combination

xDENISEx

Visit site
Can anyone suggest any ideas for me on how to create this? My horse is 15h Arab and I normally Jump him in a hackamore but steering is a issue so i normally just put a bit in him althou he is a very sensitive horse so looking to combine a bit and a hackmore. I have seen this done with a german hackamore and a bit but not to sure, any tips? Thank you.

Spotsrock

Visit site
I use a kineton and waterford on my wrecked horse to keep us safe while I re-school. Have also used a hackamore/bit combo using a double bridle adaptor headpiece and pelham roundings. Seen it used at high levels but didn't like it personally.

Tickles

Visit site
Hate to say it but... flat work lessons!

Arabs are, in general, bright, imaginiative and, like yours, sensitive, animals. They can have a lot of stamina (so you may need to hack/school to use some of it before you jump) but you should be able to acheive the steering with just the hackamore and your legs :)

xDENISEx

Visit site
The steering when i say "Issue" it isnt until we get in to jump off when we do tight turns, its a struggle and sometimes gets too strong but with a bit he isnt happy when you apply pressure. His Flatwork is perfect and so is his schooling its just a case of finding something which suits hims showjumping and also suits me. I heard and seen a german hackamore being used with a bit and i just wondered of anyone else has tried this and the results etc before a but and try x

TigerTail

Visit site
You could try a cavesson such as this http://academicartofriding.com/webshop/cavesson/

with a bridle on top and primarily use the reins off the cavesson but have a second pair for the bit - however in jumping this would depend very much on your confidence in your hands.

A friend of mine does dressage in that set up, it works beautifully as 95% of the time shes using the cavesson but for that little extra lift she has the curb rein on the pelham.

xDENISEx

Visit site
I am very confident on him in anything, jumping wise he jumps and completes at about 3ft3 upwards. The Kineton noseband to me looks alright but I am not to sure. Yeah have heard that the German hackamore with a bit could be strong but then so is the English one ridden in the wrong hands, I am very experienced riding in that type if bit. I think its a trail and error, the Mylar bit does a combination but to be fair it just looks to strong. I dont know really his a nightmare with bits in his mouth

zoon

Visit site
I used a german hackamore and a snaffle on mine - the hackamore is on a sliphead under the headpiece.

xDENISEx

Visit site
Do you???? How you find it??? see I was thinking that maybe this would be worth a try and using a pelham rounding to attached the two instead of having 2 sets of reins

sjp1

Visit site
They say that the Myler combination is not strong - because it disperses the pressure points around the head, and I think you can get it with several different mouthpieces.

Nightmare bitting - have my own issues going on as well!

xDENISEx

Visit site
The only thing i dont like the look of is the fact that the shakes are quite long (i know they are on a hackamore) but when a hackamore is used alone it uses poll pressure and off the nose, but the myler looks like it uses the same pressure but also on the mouth (long shakes), i know he will chuck his head up as soon as that comes into action, thats why i was thinking of the snaffle alone with hackamore so as to not create the effect of having a 3 ring gag in his mouth with added nose pressure, not sure if that makes sense but i know what i mean lol

Enfys

Visit site
The only bit an arab of mine liked/listened to/respected was a long shank Myler combination, I used it with double reins.

When he wasn't at parties he was quite happy in his clunky old English style hackamore.