Hackamore suggestions for horse whose just lost half his tongue!

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
My friends horse in America recently had a horrendous accident (no idea how he did it) but it resulted in a huge cut through his tongue and the front half of the tongue subsequently falling off :eek:! Otherwise the horse is fine in himself apparently (still getting used to drinking with half a tongue though), the vet says that the wound is healing well. She uses him as an allrounder and for jumping, not sure how strong he is though. She has tried a western hackamore in the past which he hated, so any suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

unbalanced

Visit site
Yes, a bosal is a western hackamore. She could try riding in a rope halter (natural hackamore), dr cooks, side pull, micklem multi-bridle, English or German hackamore, headcollar with reins attached, cross-under bridle - there are lots of different types of hackamores which work in different ways and affect different parts of the horse's head in different ways so your friend is bound to find something suitable. She could even go bridleless if she is riding in an enclosed arena! Google some of the types I have suggested for pictures and more info and websites to buy them off.

Orchardbeck

Visit site
I've been using a 'Little S' hackamore on my mare and it is absolutely fab, I thought it would be numb but I have so much more sensitivity with it - I don't even realise I'm riding bitless sometimes. I absolutely love it. My mare is difficult to stop when her blood is up and this one gives me fingertip brakes, and steering is no different, in fact is superior (for us) to riding with a bit.

I hope your friend's horse is ok, the accident sounds horrific.

Addicted to Hunting

Visit site
I seem to remember that there was a showjumper (horse) who basically ripped off their tongue and a walker incident, could be worth googling and seeing if any information comes up, could maybe get some tips?

Waltzing Matilda

Visit site
She could try a Dr Cooke bitless bridle, they even do a 30 day moneyback guarentee!!

Gives more control than a hackamore or bosal as if crosses under the chin, but looks like a bridle with a droped noseband and no bit.

http://www.bitlessbridle.com/

Has worked wonders with my horse, wouldnt use anything else on anything ever again!!!
x