Hacking alone, let’s have some success stories please

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
I feel your pain OP. My now retired mare came to me here in Ireland as a 10 year old and had done nothing but hunt from the day she was broken to ride.

She was very nervous out alone, and no wonder as she had only been out along with 25 plus horses at a time in her previous homes, almost certainly never alone. My main problem was just getting her to move forward any further than out the yard gates. As suggested by Milo above that tactic would work on almost all horses that are just being a bit of a tit. But my mare for sure was genuinely highly anxious and reactive without the reassuring presence of other horses.

At her most dangerous point she would think nothing of slamming the brakes on and reversing backwards at speed even if a huge tractor was sat right behind her with its engine running, or straight down into a ditch, definitely not for the faint hearted.

With her it eventually dawned on me all my fierce get on and get going to her was only increasing her anxiety and panic levels. I started to try making her sit it out - anything she didn't like (most things actually!) I would just sit with a loose contact - the moment she went to spin for home I would increase her spinning around and around and then allow her to stand and think about it again....and again. So she was basically allowed to stand and look at whatever monster had taken her eye for as long as she wanted (hours on the first couple of attempts!) really encouraged and praised for the slightest movement forwards, but never ever allowed to go in reverse or spin around and away from the object.

I am happy to say that with a grim determination from me and an increasing trust from her, she eventually became my perfect solo hacking horse. On the odd occasion she would plant and the moment she realised I was doing the same old thing just sitting and letting her get over herself she would give a big sigh and move on - albeit sometimes at an impressive dancing banana shape passing the monsters lol!

Only you know if you want persevere with your horse to reach that sweet point, but for me she was eventually one of the most reliable hacking horses I have ever owned. She is retired now after suffering from Lymes disease 3 years ago., but other than that a much loved pasture ornament. Good luck with solving the issue.

Thank you. You’re right, he’s genuinely anxious and I’ve found legs hands and verbal encouragement makes things much, much worse. My winter has been spent on ground work, he actually looks for scary things to touch, looking to get ‘paid’ ? planting, spinning - not the issue, but noises he can’t place, clearly frighten him and he loses his mind.. very frustrating, but I’m determined to help him get over it. ??

Landcruiser

Visit site
My Uraguyan horse Tortuga is very low confidence. Added to this is the fact that 1. He is likely to have been foaled in a wild running herd and unhandled until he was 3, when he will have been broken by the traditional gaucho method of tying up, "sacking out" then riding to a standstill (although I believe he probably escaped the worst of it due to his submissiveness). 2. Apart from his traumatic breaking, he was later shipped half way across the world, during which time he was clearly roughly handled, and I suspect had his tail twisted or his back end otherwise traumatized. He came to a country where he was to see a whole lot of things he'd never imagined existed. like drain covers, road markings, large shiny leaves, patches of blue flowers, large stones and logs that look like the crouching beasts of prey he was taught by the herd to avoid at all costs. Who knew caymans and crocs and anacondas live in English ditches? Even after 15 years in the UK, Tuga isn't convinced they don't!
So when I first got him, hacking was very interesting. He used to spook frequently, and big, as in "I'm out'a here!" This was genuine fear, and it took a long, long time and much patience and desensitizing. Letting him look, letting him stand, encouraging him closer, often hopping off and leading him past - he is much more confident with someone to lead him. I hacked him alone right from the start, and just kept at it, never pushing him beyond his limit and never, ever hitting him, kicking him hard, or otherwise hurting him. I did tons of groundwork, adding scary things incrementally, and being very inventive with things to wave around him or get him to walk over. 12 years on, he's great, we have done TREC for years, but the bugger still spooks at even the smallest jump unless I've led him over it first or it's so tiny it can be stepped over. Ditto objects lying on the ground in a new place, even though he's walked over something similar at home a thousand timesWe lose a lot of points because of this, but I don't worry about it. He's come so far, I'm proud of him. He rarely spooks out hacking these days, and is rock solid in traffic, even crazy things like bin lorries and fire engines with sirens.

Visit site
Long reining - and lots of it. Sometimes up to six miles! Then we used to ditch the long reins in a hedge and I would get on and ride the rest of the way. I got him established with a good one hour useful route to start with and then eventually rode it from home. My aim was to be able to do this route in both directions so we get out on days when we had nobody to ride with - which is most of the time so
it really was essential. Well, he exceeded all expectations and will now go wherever I like on his own and we go out on adventures about 3-4 times per week so it can be done. This horse was nappy but due to laxknof confidence. He would rear and plant his feet and kick out - he is now a star! You will get there, jusy start at the beginning - we started with in hand walks before the long reining. The key to build confidence in hand is to make sure he is walking at your shoulder in hand and not hiding behind you. Good luck!

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
Just do it. For hours. They soon get over themselves once you have been out a few hours and the more often you can do it, the better.

Hacking for several hours. Everyday. You will have a different horse in not too long.
He’s much better. We still have moments, but I think we always will. Thank you for the kick up the bum ?

Visit site
I never ride in company as I don't really like anyone on my yard enough to ride with them. Repeatition is the key, sing when he gets tense as it helps you relax and just keep going.

paddi22

Visit site
we get in tons of sharp spookynutcases in to hack, and they ALL turn into good hackers with time. I love turning bad hackers into good!

I have a system I use

- check what you feed. cut out any sugars, alfalfa or anything that might be influencing behaviour. if any are spooky I cut out all feed and just do forage for a while to check if feed is an issue. it's worth trying brewers yeast/magnisieum as well just as a test. it makes a bit different to the odd one.

- make sure horses eyesight is ok. a friends horse had a blindness that make it spook at stuff from behind.

- learn to long line. it's a great way to get horses used to obstacles without the worry of falling off. longline past as much scary stuff as you can.

- try different tack additions - sound mufflers are great for some. others go better in those fluffy side sheepskin things on the side of bridle that mean they can't see behind as much.

- in the arena learn lateral work and flexing/bend, extended walk. long and low. when hacking some just need to be kept occupied, have a tool box of stuff you can use anytime you feel horse starting to look around. as soon as a spooky hacker raises it head or puts ears forward I start doing lateral work, shoulder in, extended walk etc. if they are focused on you, they won't spook.

- have an instructor look at you to see what your body and breathing are actually doing when you hack. I help friends out with spooky hackers and 80% of the time it's their breathing and tight contact that is making the horse worse. on some of them you can get on and drop reins to the buckle and breath and the horse is fine. make sure the horse isn't feeling your tension. whatever you think the horse will do, it will do. Sao make sure you aren't planting doubt into the horses brain about spooky things.

- sing or talk to make sure you are breathing.if you feel them getting skittish focus on a point in the distance and just keep aiming at it. forget everything else, just get to that point.

- I think of spooky things as a game with horses now. do groundwork in the arena where they are rewarded for examining or touching things they first found spooky. have a clear vocal pattern you use when encouraging them as they get closer, have a phrase for that. and then a phrase and action for reward when they touch it. then find a very short hacking route and do that in-hand with them, letting them look at scary things, and be rewarded. then longline that route. then ride that root with someone on foot, then ride it solo.

- get excess energy out by loose schooling or lunging before you get on. and then hack FOR HOURS. a tired horse is a calm horse. just get the milage in, preferably up hills if you can!

I've never had one come in here that didn't turn into a good hacker. but it's persistence, always have a good neck strap/ back protector on and just get the hours in hacking. but 100% get an instructor to check if it's your body language. I help people with bad hackers and it's their own body language most of the time that is the issue.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s extremely common for hunters not to enjoy hacking alone .
The way round it is to do it lots I pick about six rides we do often and practise them endlessly .
They have all come to in the end .

paddy555

Visit site
we get in tons of sharp spookynutcases in to hack, and they ALL turn into good hackers with time. I love turning bad hackers into good!

I have a system I use

- check what you feed. cut out any sugars, alfalfa or anything that might be influencing behaviour. if any are spooky I cut out all feed and just do forage for a while to check if feed is an issue. it's worth trying brewers yeast/magnisieum as well just as a test. it makes a bit different to the odd one.

- make sure horses eyesight is ok. a friends horse had a blindness that make it spook at stuff from behind.

- learn to long line. it's a great way to get horses used to obstacles without the worry of falling off. longline past as much scary stuff as you can.

- try different tack additions - sound mufflers are great for some. others go better in those fluffy side sheepskin things on the side of bridle that mean they can't see behind as much.

- in the arena learn lateral work and flexing/bend, extended walk. long and low. when hacking some just need to be kept occupied, have a tool box of stuff you can use anytime you feel horse starting to look around. as soon as a spooky hacker raises it head or puts ears forward I start doing lateral work, shoulder in, extended walk etc. if they are focused on you, they won't spook.

- have an instructor look at you to see what your body and breathing are actually doing when you hack. I help friends out with spooky hackers and 80% of the time it's their breathing and tight contact that is making the horse worse. on some of them you can get on and drop reins to the buckle and breath and the horse is fine. make sure the horse isn't feeling your tension. whatever you think the horse will do, it will do. Sao make sure you aren't planting doubt into the horses brain about spooky things.

- sing or talk to make sure you are breathing.if you feel them getting skittish focus on a point in the distance and just keep aiming at it. forget everything else, just get to that point.

- I think of spooky things as a game with horses now. do groundwork in the arena where they are rewarded for examining or touching things they first found spooky. have a clear vocal pattern you use when encouraging them as they get closer, have a phrase for that. and then a phrase and action for reward when they touch it. then find a very short hacking route and do that in-hand with them, letting them look at scary things, and be rewarded. then longline that route. then ride that root with someone on foot, then ride it solo.

- get excess energy out by loose schooling or lunging before you get on. and then hack FOR HOURS. a tired horse is a calm horse. just get the milage in, preferably up hills if you can!

I've never had one come in here that didn't turn into a good hacker. but it's persistence, always have a good neck strap/ back protector on and just get the hours in hacking. but 100% get an instructor to check if it's your body language. I help people with bad hackers and it's their own body language most of the time that is the issue.

what an a excellent post :):):):)

Birker2020

Visit site
Just do it. For hours. They soon get over themselves once you have been out a few hours and the more often you can do it, the better.

Hacking for several hours. Everyday. You will have a different horse in not too long.
Agree. My previous horse was a nightmare to hack after a few years, never worked out why. But planting and spinning were the norm, I always hacked out on my own as i preferred to.

In the end I perservered and she was fine for years on her own, but every now and then she'd spook at something and spin, but she never spun when a car was coming past, she was much too smart for that! ;)

Petmurf

Visit site
If I ever feel my boy getting nervous or tense, I wrap my legs around him, give him a scratch or a Pat and a hug with my voice and then he’s fine. If I feel myself getting nervous I look up to the sky and let out a long breath and within seconds he’s also doing the same and I can physically feel him relax but repertition is the best way to get their confidence up

YorkshireLady

Visit site
I think its common with the horses from Ireland as they do not tend to go out alone there much especially if they have backed hunted then come over here. Personally for my lad I did it with sticking same route and then making it larger etc and knowing each time we did a new route would be a bit of a pickle to start then ok.

However if honest he was always so much better in company that I just accepted that i wasn't going to do very long hacks alone.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
My boy is like this too - I am not very confident when hacking alone and it tends to wind him up because he can feel my anxiety and he's very spooky/reactive anyway (even with confident riders). The things I have found helpful are:

• Acoustic ears for him
  • ProKalm (for him, lol)
  • Having someone walk out with us initially on foot. We have done the same routes to absolute death with someone on a bike or on foot with us, so the route itself holds no surprises (even the terrifying cows) and once the route has become mundane, attempt on our own
  • My instructor takes him out for me once a week on a new route so he gets a bit of variety. She's made of absolute superglue so he'd have a hard time putting her in a ditch - gets him out and about and thinking new doesn't necessarily mean scary
  • Talking incessantly to pony as we are out and about. Makes me keep breathing!
  • Lots of exercises as we are hacking. Halt, rein back, leg yield across the lanes etc to keep him thinking instead of looking for trouble

The more we have done the easier it's been. He is out of work at the moment and for the first time I'm actually looking forward to getting started with him again - this is going to be the summer of hacking, I can feel it in my bones!! :D

Fransurrey

Visit site
I used the walking out and getting on technique with my arab cross. He was never perfect, but I did get him hacking alone without rearing (his favourite response to stressful situations). Recently I played my audiobook on speaker when my gelding went through a spooky phase. It was more for me as I was anxious, but he was definitely a fan, so I'd consider that, too.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
OP I could have written your comment, always used to hack on my own on my mare, preferred it that way. Loved just me and her up on the mountain with the sound of birds and not having to chat to other people. When I lost her and bought the cob things changed, he too is afraid of nothing that is sneaking up behind him. He became so unpredictable and I lost my nerve taking him out so not ridden for 5 years. To be fair he is not much better in company, if he is in front he doesn't like the horses behind him and if he is behind he is afraid of the nothing coming to eat him!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I stuck to one regular route with my two past tricky to hack solo horses. I did this routes lots in company and then solo in good weather. I stuck to just this route until horse built up confidence.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
It really does depend on the temprament and make-up of the horse. Some can cope and others just do not have the bottle. My horses have been ridden by themselves through Central london and will not react to anything but I put that down to temprament as much as being exposed to all these things at a youg age. The issue being that these days young horses are not exposed to heavy traffic etc at a young age so they do not get used to it.

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
I just kept going out alone with my youngster and these are things that helped me:

1. Use a neck strap- he was quite sharp so holding on to it helped me to feel more secure & not lose my balance if he spun round.
2. Trot on- in my head I used to say “if in doubt, trot it out.” I found that getting going on a good positive trot helped both of us to think forward and he didn’t have as much time to look for things to spook at.
3. Transitions- I’d do lots of transitions to get/ keep him listening to me & a bit of leg yielding where there’s room.

He’s very good to hack now though he has his moments like any horse ?
I’m a novice rider though so please bear in mind when considering this advice.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
It really does depend on the temprament and make-up of the horse. Some can cope and others just do not have the bottle. My horses have been ridden by themselves through Central london and will not react to anything but I put that down to temprament as much as being exposed to all these things at a youg age. The issue being that these days young horses are not exposed to heavy traffic etc at a young age so they do not get used to it.

I think if you in a carefully and measured way introduce an older horse to something, with sympathy and support from lead horses they can adjust to it. But have to get confidence in company before going solo.

Sunjunkieme

Visit site

I have a system I use

What a kind, generous and helpful response. Thank you.
you are 100% right, Ned has improved so much. My biggest breakthrough was the realisation that having spent many thousands of hours happily mooching around in the saddle, focusing on those relatively few minutes when things went wrong was bonkers. I relaxed, and he took so much confidence from that. He still has moments when he cannot make sense of something and I become irrelevant. I now calmly dismount and walk him forward. He’s usually reassured by this and it’s now so rare that I think we’ve almost cracked it ??

catembi

Visit site
Aaarrrgghhh, this is where I am now! It's so frustrating! I used to hack Catembi out for hours alone, several times a week & used to look forward to it. Lots of cantering, usually ended up having a gallop as I had the need for speed... He was a spooky spinner & could be very, very sharp...but I used to enjoy it. Then we moved to a house on a 60 mph road where there was only one hack which was nearly all roadwork & I had an arena so kind of got out of the habit of it. Then moved here which is half a mile on a far quieter 30mph road left or right to get to a bridleway. Then I went through my phase of having one PSSM horse after another - they can explode suddenly out of nowhere, & I had one truly awful hack where the horse just went totally nuts to the point that I couldn't even get off, then when I managed to, had a really hellish job trying to walk him home. There is no way to describe how terrible that was.

Then my new chap, who is v v laid back...I have hacked him out once alone, & it was 99.9% fine except one gigantic spook (the one & only time he has ever spooked) that I was v lucky to stay on. I boxed to my friend's & he hacked out in company on the buckle. If I hack from here, the others neigh which does wind him up a bit. I need to hack him out again, don't I, but it's such an ordeal! He is a laid back horse, there is no such thing as the spooky end of the arena, etc, but I do not feel confident hacking!

I don't know whether to do the short, round the block hack and build up from there or whether to go out for miles out of earshot of neighing...

Skib

sites.google.com
Horses have to be taught and learn to hack alone. But you asked for success stories. I hacked both my shares solo. In 7 years hacking them, I never fell off the old share and fell from the curent one recently only due to freak circumstances of stupid RS riders cantering towards us and setting her off.
My old share twice span and made for home. I was told it was a habit of hers and put staff off riding her. But she did it twice only with me and I didnt fall - fluke but true.
My safety record of hacking alone is far better than my fall record of hacking in company. That is because yard and RS staff and escorts are often given the more difficut or new horses to hack and the staff horse spooking has set mine off.

It isnt just the horse that matters. Some riders like myself like going out alone and if you ride the same landscape on the same horse week after week, you build up a shared history, an intimacy which is hard to explain.
He is a laid back horse, there is no such thing as the spooky end of the arena, etc, but I do not feel confident hacking!

If by hacking you mean just sitting on the horse then you are vulnerable. But hacking for me involves asking the horse to do lots of stuff. transitions, speed, steering - My old RI told people I schooled my share as I hacked. I expect horses I hack to stop at path junctions, to back up at a thought (cars have reverse gears), to transition at an exact spot. To practise some turns. And to canter if I say the word "Canter". Sometimes I ask for things I call "riding teacher" trot or halt, meaing a pre ordained distance. It is easy to get sloppy about downward transitons out hacking solo. I aim never to have an unsolicited downward transition (not achieved yet on current share) but I am now old and a bit lazy.

Over trusting the mare and not riding her every step was the cause my my downfall.

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
Aaarrrgghhh, this is where I am now! It's so frustrating! I used to hack Catembi out for hours alone, several times a week & used to look forward to it. Lots of cantering, usually ended up having a gallop as I had the need for speed... He was a spooky spinner & could be very, very sharp...but I used to enjoy it. Then we moved to a house on a 60 mph road where there was only one hack which was nearly all roadwork & I had an arena so kind of got out of the habit of it. Then moved here which is half a mile on a far quieter 30mph road left or right to get to a bridleway. Then I went through my phase of having one PSSM horse after another - they can explode suddenly out of nowhere, & I had one truly awful hack where the horse just went totally nuts to the point that I couldn't even get off, then when I managed to, had a really hellish job trying to walk him home. There is no way to describe how terrible that was.

Then my new chap, who is v v laid back...I have hacked him out once alone, & it was 99.9% fine except one gigantic spook (the one & only time he has ever spooked) that I was v lucky to stay on. I boxed to my friend's & he hacked out in company on the buckle. If I hack from here, the others neigh which does wind him up a bit. I need to hack him out again, don't I, but it's such an ordeal! He is a laid back horse, there is no such thing as the spooky end of the arena, etc, but I do not feel confident hacking!

I don't know whether to do the short, round the block hack and build up from there or whether to go out for miles out of earshot of neighing...

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
ok, so I read some Kelly Marks. She makes a lot of sense, especially when it comes to rider confidence and retraining your mindset. Yes, you need to do it, you need to do it regularly, you need to breath, you need to congratulate yourself and your horse for every good hack and you need to change your mindset. Every scary monster is an opportunity to learn. My biggest learning over the last year has been:

1. those moments when it all went to hell in a hand cart, they were moments. I’m not dead or badly injured, on the whole I cope pretty well when it all goes wrong, & I spent many million more moments happily hacking and enjoying my horse.

2. with horses you have 2 options, you either give them a minute to think, or you don’t. If you don‘t, you are probably going to wish that you had.

get your big girl pants on, go do 20 mins in the school, and if he’s still relaxed go around the block.. you got this. If you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re probably right.

Mosh

Visit site
My mare used to hack for miles and miles and she was the most bombproof horse. Until one day she wasn't. I think I know the trigger but can't prove it or know for definite.

I had everything investigated to check there was no physical issues and she was clear. I had a couple of conversations with a pro and the general consensus was that she had a fright, had napped and had worked out very quickly if she reared enough she wouldn't have to go. She even napped in company at one stage.

It has taken me a couple of years of consistent but fair handling to get her hacking out alone again.

It involved doing hacks with a loop and never turning back on ourselves. She would reverse isn't ditches so she once got poked on the bum by a branch (no injuries) but that sent her forwards which cured that!

If I had to get off, walk her inhand 3 steps and get back on I did.
She is allowed to look at "scary things" but she MUST move forwards. That is non negotiable, she can piffle past it but she must be forward.

If she puts a spin in, I cannot turn her the opposite way as she will go up, so I continue the spin 360 degrees to the direction I want and she gets a growl and she goes forward regardless.

She now hacks out alone again, she will always do a spin but it is the most half hearted thing I have ever seen and carries on happily, marching away. We did 8 miles the other day with no issues and she loved it.

My mare was about 25 when she started napping and she is now 28...

It was a labour of love but with consistency, fair but firm and very clear laid out expectations and a couple of perfectly timed consequences (such as reversing into a ditch and being poked) she is now a joy to hack out again.

Non of the things above are what you should do in a text book but it works. I had to fake it until I made it but we did.

catembi

Visit site
Yay, we survived our hack! Out for 1 hr 15 minutes, in a fair amount of wind, steady trudge all the way with a bit of trot. Only neighed x 3 when it was more like x 33 the first time. We went past where he spooked last time and...nothing. Plus met the same horse twice - not interested. So, yeah...we now have something to build on!

Attachments

• 083DDAC8-B500-4BBC-A173-901283F9B736.jpeg
    083DDAC8-B500-4BBC-A173-901283F9B736.jpeg
    572.2 KB · Views: 5
  • F7D37566-C42C-4BA6-A0F5-13DAFC8D9493.jpeg
    F7D37566-C42C-4BA6-A0F5-13DAFC8D9493.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 5