Hacking at dusk - bit of a rant

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
I have to drive a few backroads to get my kid from college. I saw 3 riders out tonight coming towards my way, I naturally stopped and let them pass, but they were all on dark horses and only the one at the back was wearing anything reflective (a tabard)

I'm not trying to make myself out to be perfect, but I always insist on anyone riding our horses on the roads each wear something reflective and high viz (myself included).

From a rider point of view, I know they are not very trendy, but from a drivers point of view, they really do buy you braking time.

I'm not trying to apportion blame in any way, but 'sorry mate, I didn't see you' cuts little ice when horse and riders get injured.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I totally agree, it makes me mad when I see people out on horses with no hi-viz. I don't think that a lot of people realise that their insurance is nul and void if god forbid something happens whilst on the road and they have no hi-viz on. Dark horses and riders literally disappear into the shadows some days. I always wear my tabard and have a hi-viz hat cover too so I can be seen above the hedges by oncoming cars. It gives you an extra 3 seconds and that can literally be the difference between life and death
frown.gif
I wish they would make it law that you have to wear it when riding out

Louby

Visit site
I totally agree with you. It shocked me actually how difficult it is to see a horse at dusk or in bright sunlight. I remember passing a horse on a really sunny day on a busy tree lined rode and I only saw them when I was upon them. It was really scary.
It was the middle of the day but it made me realise that you should wear hi viz gear whatever the time of day on the roads.

TGM

Visit site
Doesn't matter whether it is dusk or high summer - hi viz still gives you an extra 3 seconds to be seen.

I can't believe people who put their horses' lives at risk by hacking on the roads without hi viz gear! Often these are the people who take enormous care over their horse's feeding and rugs and beds - but are quite happy to let their horse be at risk of being hit by a car
mad.gif

IMO riding on the roads (whether at dusk or at noon) without hi viz gear is just as bad as not feeding your horse enough, or neglecting your horse's feet, or not calling the vet when something is wrong.

If you care about your horse then wear hi viz on the roads!

Phew! Steps off soapbox and goes back to the wine bottle
laugh.gif

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
I think they are hacking from a place just up the road called stonebow farm/Ashleworth - nr Hartpury (we did a show there a few years ago)

I rarely go that way because the road is very twisty and has loads of blind corners.

The thing is I only saw the rider at the back, the horse at the front was about 3 horse lengths in front of her.

I must confess I did complement the rider at the back on her tabbard, but also said that it was a shame that she was the only one to bother using one.

When I think about how much our horses cost us in keep, vet bills etc and the last couple of tabbards I picked up came from poundland (yes they were £1 each), I'm dismayed that they can be so cavalier about their own and their horses safety
frown.gif

helenandshadow

Visit site
Totally agree. I always wear a hi viz tabard at the very least, whatever time of day, and i won't hack at dusk. Riding on the roads without hi viz gear you risk your horse's life as well as your own, and if you have an accident your insurance company won't pay out, downright irresponsible IMO.
crazy.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
Always wear hi viz and have just bought a great hi viz fleece with reflective strips. It is made by Dickies and can be seen a mile off and is also really warm with a pocket for my mobile as well. Cost £25.00 which I think is pretty good.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I totally agree with you, two of the teenages from my yard decided to hack out at 5pm the other night, with just vests on, one of them being one of the rambo white ones with flasing lights, which IMO doesn't show up very bright, well not on this rider anyway. Their parents had bought them all matching reflective stuff for them as we have got a private lane that take's a good 15mins to ride down so sometimes they ride down there and get back just as it's getting dusk. Anyway i left the yard at 620pm onto the busy road and they were no where to be seen, apparently they got back at 7pm! I cannot beleive their parents let them do this plus one of them had only had their horse for 3 days, she bought him from our yard and was told he was spooky on the road, thats in daylight. Accident waiting to happen!

jumbyjack

Visit site
Saw one out at 5.50 the other night! She was wearing a washed out no longer hi viz tabbard and riding a bay horse with no hi viz gear at all, almost impossible to see and from where she was had quite a way to go to reach any of the local livery yards! Words failed me, apart from rude ones about her sanity!

equibabe20

Visit site
ARGH this is one thing that really annoys me too, like everyone else has said we take all this care over their feeding etc.. but people still think it's ok to put their horses at risk
frown.gif
I think it should become law to wear hi-vis gear, I personally would never leave the yard yard without at least my tabard. At my old yard there was a 55 yr old woman with a dark bay who refused to wear anything, stupid people.

filly190

Visit site
Those riders would be on a sticky wicket if there was an insurance claim. Seems like commen sense was left at home. I would need a dam good reason to ride in bad light and then I would wear high viz and have a car in front or behind slowing the traffic or people on foot.

Chex

Visit site
Its somethiing that really annoys me too! There's absolutley no excuse for riding out with no hi-viz! People that are "too cool" for hi-viz are just pathetic. Chex doesn't leave the yard with anything less than this: (and he's only on the road for 2 mins!)
DSC001712.jpg

S_L_J

Visit site
I was out practising my driving the other day with my Dad and we were driving along a country road - pretty close to where my yard is and Dad had picked me up, so was going a bit slower than normal (bearing in mind I'm still a leraner so don't exactly speed at the best of time!) and being extra observant as was execting to see horses.

Coming around a corner and meet two horse riders - one on their phone clearly having a gossip, both with stupidly long reins and riding in the middle of the road wearing no reflective gear and it was a horrible dark and dreary afternoon, so couldn't actually see them until I was practically on top of them (and I was going v. slowly)

Stopped suddenly for them and then overtake a couple of minutes earlier when appropiate... for them to give me the dirtiest look I've ever recieved. They pissed me off - and I had tack and rugs in the back of my car, the whacking great big slow down for horses sticker so clearly a 'horsey' person. No wonder other motorists don't bother slowing down with people like this!

star

Visit site
i always use a tabard and hat band, and usually a bright yellow exercise sheet too, although he gets too warm if it's too mild, but today saw two riders riding through the town centre (it's only a small town!) and they had the full lot on, bridle and rein kit and leg bands as well as tabards, hat bands and sheets - ok, they looked like xmas trees, but they were so visible - i think i might just have to get a bridle set - cool, it may not be, but i'd rather be seen and alive.

Patches

Visit site
I always, without fail, wear a minimum of a hat band and a tabbard. Sometimes I also have leg wraps on Patches and she does also have a high viz, reflective browband on her bridle.

I don't think it matters if it's a dull or bright day, summer or winter. You are always more visisble when in your high viz gear.

Infact, sunny winter mornings when the sun is low in the sky and the roads are damp are the worse ones for drivers. Sun glaring off the road and under the sun shade on the vehicle is bad enough without having to spot dark horses ridden by people in dark clothes.

There is a woman who's moved in down the lane to me who hacks her VERY smart looking horses out daily. They are dark bay and a rich chestnut and she is always in expensive looking riding attire...never any high viz. It's just not worth the risk and I do think that unless riders make themselves visible they are going to find insurance void in the future if their horse is injured whilst on the road. There have been numerous whisperings about it becoming a clause in the policies.

pagancluf

Visit site
I know what you mean - on our yard of 7 riders only my friend and I put on hi-viz stuff - I am sure we get sniggered at but who cares when the driver could sue you if you can't be seen..

old_girl

Visit site

What's really getting my back up at the moment is cyclists.

I have nearly run over 2 this week, both on unlit back roads, with no hi-viz, no lights, and no helmets. Do they want to die????????

And of course, if a driver hits a cyclist its always the drivers fault, even if cyclist is doing their best to be invisible!