Hacking at night streetlights

SILVERTRINITY24

Visit site
Hi All,

I have recently taken a horse on loan, there aren't any facilities at the yard. However, the roads around the yard have streetlights... Does anyone hack out using street lights?? We would be fully highvised up with head torches. Any advice or dos and don'ts.... :)

Thank you!!!

stangs

Visit site
How busy is the road? I’d want to walk the route a few times before I take a horse out in the dark, and I’d want horse lit up like a christmas tree with various LED gadgets.

SILVERTRINITY24

Visit site
How busy is the road? I’d want to walk the route a few times before I take a horse out in the dark, and I’d want horse lit up like a christmas tree with various LED gadgets.

Not overly busy, it's a small village with a 30mph speed limit imposed. I regularly ride the route in the day, I did drive round a few nights ago and visibility is quite good. Thank you for replying!!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It depends very much on your individual location. I considered myself more visible (LEDs everywhere!) in the dark but the biggest issue is that drivers are really not expecting to come across a horse in the dark and therefore don't always behave how you would like them too.
I only ever did early mornings, when there was very little traffic (other than the same regular people going the same place I was to walk their dogs) to access off road hacking, and it would be light once I was back on the road to come home.

Roxylola

Visit site
Yes, lit up enough to get Christmas tree and/or Blackpool illumination comments. Either 7pm or later - after most people have gone home from work etc, or first thing in the morning - early.
I tend not to go if the weather is very wet or anything as well - I've seen plenty of evidence that people forget how to drive when they turn on their wipers so I thats a risk too far in the dark for me

SILVERTRINITY24

Visit site
It depends very much on your individual location. I considered myself more visible (LEDs everywhere!) in the dark but the biggest issue is that drivers are really not expecting to come across a horse in the dark and therefore don't always behave how you would like them too.
I only ever did early mornings, when there was very little traffic (other than the same regular people going the same place I was to walk their dogs) to access off road hacking, and it would be light once I was back on the road to come home.

That makes sense, the route involves residential areas, down cul-de-sac and not a cut through. I have ridden in total darkness before but Im always worried about unaware drivers!! My thought process was that by being understreet lights and lit up like a Christmas tree would give drivers enough time to notice my presence :)

SILVERTRINITY24

Visit site
Yes, lit up enough to get Christmas tree and/or Blackpool illumination comments. Either 7pm or later - after most people have gone home from work etc, or first thing in the morning - early.
I tend not to go if the weather is very wet or anything as well - I've seen plenty of evidence that people forget how to drive when they turn on their wipers so I thats a risk too far in the dark for me

Brill! How do you find drivers react to you? Do you do anything different when riding in the evenings? Thank you for commenting :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If I were the owner of the loaned horse, I would not be impressed by the thought of my horse being hacked out on the road after dark. In the far off days when I used to lead my horse from field gate to stable, on a quiet road with street lights I walked on the outside of the horse, with a torch and whenever possible, a car following behind us.

Roxylola

Visit site
Brill! How do you find drivers react to you? Do you do anything different when riding in the evenings? Thank you for commenting :)
Little difference with drivers to be honest. The horse is a little more reactive to noise at night if he's on his own. He's a good boy who's pretty brave for the most part but he does spook more in the dark

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I used to in my teen years, and have done so for a living on work horses for many years since.

I would say, it depends.

Some roads feel safe, often the residential streets where traffic is slower anyway due to parked cars dispersed along the street, where you can also get shelter. I would only do it in good weather (no rain, as above), on a steady horse, lit up like a Xmas tree, with flashing lights and plenty of high viz and reflective clothing. The horse would be lit up too, as well as bedecked in high viz and reflective.

I would also say, I don't do it now. Personal choice rather than any particular bad experiences.

I can't see a problem with insurance, as you would be complying with the law and the highway code, but it would be prudent to check.

The owner may not feel comfortable, which I would understand. I would not let someone go out in the dark on either of mine.

ihatework

Visit site
It’s not something I’d probably advocate, although do think that you are probably just if not more likely to be seen lit up like a Christmas tree than in daylight. It’s just I think drivers reactions might be a bit unpredictable.

I would most definitely make sure the horses owner provides consent for you to do this. Also you need plenty of flashing lights on both you and the horse in addition to high viz. a head torch alone won’t cut it.

jnb

Visit site
My horse lives in a rural village, sadly some of its residents are commuters and drive at speeds of up to 65-70mph on the single track roads, I have noticed as the dark mornings and nights increase so does their speed. It seems they think if there are no headlights, there is nothing in or on the road.
I would not risk my life, or my horse's - it's just not worth it. Our hacking is off road and fabulous but the first 10-15min is on this lane. I wouldn't be able to see on the off road stuff (and it's VERY steep with a drop one side) and downright dangerous on the road. It's a no from me, I would never be able to live with myself if my horse was injured or killed due to my "need" to go for a max 30 min ride.

BatHorse

Visit site
I have to walk mine up a short stretch of road with streetlights if I want to have a lesson or school him after work in the winter. I have full high vis, led lights on him and me, plus a friend follows me up in the car with hazards on. I'd never take him for a hack on the roads in the dark, drivers just don't expect to see you. If you do decide to hack in the dark you must have a white light on your front and a red light on your back.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I used to hack quite often at night. I actually found her to be less spooky. I was lit up like a Christmas tree, a mix of flashing and lights which stay on. Both on me and the Horse. It was fairly straight roads though with good visibility as it was a housing estate.

I would only do it with the owners permission though.

Leandy

Visit site
I would consider it if the roads are all 30 limit, well lit with good visibility and no blind bends and wide enough for there to be sufficient room for cars to pass safely and/or with verges/drives etc you can move into to get out of trouble if need be. Many of the responses above give examples of the roads near them which are not suitable rather than knowing your circumstances. If the roads were as above and I knew the horse to be sufficiently sensible (you say you have only just got the horse so you may not know it sufficiently) then I would give it a go and see what I thought. Do ensure you are compliant with the highway code as to use of hi viz and lights ie requirement for red lights to the rear, white facing forwards etc and also of course that you ride correctly positioned on the road and give clear signals etc etc.

Birker2020

Visit site
I was contemplating doing this last winter but never got to ride her after November.

We have a long straight road straight out of our yard gate so visibility is good for several hundred yards and there are verges either side. I look like a Xmas tree normally when i hack out anyway so felt confident I had enough LED lights.

ShadowHunter

Visit site
I'd also contemplate the idea that fireworks go off after dark most nights at this time of year. Certainly ask the horses owner too, they're within their rights to ask you not to as well.

Esmae

Visit site
I used to hack out on the road very early in the morning. 5am early, before anyone was up and about. Only ever saw one vehicle and I could see it coming for miles due to lights so had loads of time to get off the road before it got to us. I would do that again, but wouldn't dream of doing it in the evenings. Far too much going on. I did find that my horse was far less spooky in the dark than usual.

fetlock

Visit site
I used to do it, lit up like a Christmas tree and after 7pm most nights - along an unlit country lane, across a busy main road and then onto a quiet housing estate and round those streets. At the end of it was a useful grass area lit enough by lamp posts to do some schooling on too.

Back then I had no choice - no arena and the yard owner in winter stopped access to the fields for a few months. So it was leave a young TB in a stable all week till weekends, or go out as I did. Once I got onto the housing estate I quite enjoyed it. Getting there was another matter. As was getting back.

That was over 30 years ago. I wouldn't do it now. No way.