Hacking bitless?

Elliewob

Visit site
There is a mare that I ride that is pretty very behaved apart from during schooling she may try it on a little bit by kicking out but it stops after she realises that she still needs to do the exercise, basically just a bit of pony resistance. Out hacking again her behaviour is good but she can be a bit strong and is in a double jointed eggbutt snaffle. I was wondering if trying her bitless would help as she wouldnt have anything to fight against as I don't want to try anything stronger. I would be greatful for some advice as don't have any experience with it and I've heard about horses that have a lot of resistance but once their bit is taken away they are like different horses and I was just wondering if it was true.

Firefly9410

Visit site
I cannot answer your exact question but what I can say is it is possible for a horse to fight a bitless bridle. My advice is to experiment with bits and bitless until you find something that works. There is no need to be afraid of so called stronger bits. If your hands are gentle the bit cannot hurt. Lots of horses go much better in a stronger bit of one type or another. They prefer its action or they go better because the rider is able to use more gentle rein aids. It is not a failure to try a different or stronger bit.

NZJenny

Visit site
A keen horse will be just as keen no matter what you ride them in, so IME bitted or not makes no difference, however keeping them going at a good trot until they get over it can. The only other thing I would say, is make sure you are releasing the moment the horse comes back. You might only get half a stride, but often riders pulling becomes a habit - if that makes sense.

I always endurance rode bitless and still hack the same, but what sort of bitless depends on the horse. I prefer a hackamore, but the gelding in my avatar leaned something terrible, so a Dr Cook was the best solution for him. However, no matter what I rode him in, he always spent the first 40 km trying to be in front. Once we had that out of the way, I could have ridden him with a piece of string around his neck!

Dumbo

Visit site
Yes I hack bitless most of the time.
I have an ex racer and will quite happily canter him through fields and be confident I have brakes in a sidepull. I've tried various bits but he takes a hold and has bolted on several occasions bitted.
He schools lovely in a straight bar but for a nice hack we both prefer bitless.
You may just want to check with your insurance (if you've got it) that you're covered for bitless riding. I know there's a couple of companies that won't pay out regardless of the situation if the horse wasn't bitted.

Scarlett

Visit site
I have a big strong TB who left racing because he was running away with people, he'd been tried in different bits etc by the trainer and their staff - who weren't idiots - I hack him in a simple sidepull. With no bit to pull on he just isn't strong, even in company. It's helped him hugely.

Jenni&Ditty

Visit site
What sort of 'strong' is she? ie does she pull, lean, throw her head up or put it down?
As a poster above said, dont be afraid of stronger bits, if you have nice hands the horse would probably rather have a lighter aid on a stronger it than a stronger aid on a milder bit.
Also you could try different mouthpieces - straight bar, happy mouth, copper, roller, etc, depending on what type of strong she is, without the bit getting 'stronger'
Have you thought about different nosebands?
Every horse is different and i think its just a case of trying things until you find what works for you :)

smja

Visit site
Bitless is just like bits - in the sense that there's lots of variety that all work in different ways. Why not try a few and see how it goes? Definitely try it in the school first, though :)

My horse currently has two bits, a hackamore, and three nosebands - the combinations change around depending on what we're doing, to what suits him best for that activity.

Elliewob

Visit site
Thanks for the advice, when I'm out hacking i think she just gets excited to be out so once We have had our first canter she may throw her head but it's more during canter (it's hard to explain but) she puts her head down ever so slightly by leaning on my hands so it's hard to slow down. The second time is slightly easier to slow down because she has used up some of her energy

Elliewob

Visit site
Thank you for all the advice I think I might continue looking in to it as I'm mainly schooling her at the moment and she works well in it then

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I think it may help to (a) have someone experienced in bitless bridles to show you how to use them and ride in them effectively, and (b) to make sure that you ONLY ride in a safe place like a school until you're sure that you've got full control and that your horse is totally happy in it.

Some years ago now and in the fresh flush of enthusiasm, I borrowed a hackamore and hacked my horse out in it. He decided to nap, and headed back down the road - hackamore then slipped around and came right round his face, very nearly off :( Before anyone commences a lecture, yes, I should have known better, yes; and yes, I shouldn't have gone out on the road like it, it was a damn-silly thing to do.

huskydamage

Visit site
Mine has never been easy to stop in anything so I switched to bitless a couple of years ago and she was a lot happier in it. She is still not easy to stop but we have no chewing rain snatching and less head shaking cantering down road episodes! I ride in an s hackamore there is no school at my yard so hacking is all I do. I also have an english hackamore for fun rides etc I find this a bit stonger than the s . I have maybe 90% brakes in a bit and 80 in my hackamore. There is not a lot of difference for me. I mostly stop her by turning (if that makes sense) and ride with loose contact. I have tried a bitless bridle but she just cantered down the road in it lol I found the hackamore v similar to a bit for brakes though it took me a week or so to get the nack of it. My old bit is now collecting dust. I have a kimblewick for hunting but that is the only time I ever use a bit now.