Hacking conditions

Chianti

Visit site
The local hacking from my yard is fairly limited and the tracks are now very wet and muddy. I'm struggling to find somewhere to trot for more than a few strides but others on the yard are coming back from a hack and still talking about cantering. Is it me- am I being over cautious? If I did it I know I'd end up with something pulled but everyone else seems to get away with it.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I experience the opposite, hard stoney ground that I won't trot on but which others come back talking about the good canter they just had. I think some people just care more about the ride than the horses welfare. I'm not saying that's necessarily wrong, if they bought a horse with the main aim of riding it. It's just different opinions. If your horse is more prone to injury than the average horse, or if you're not prepared to risk an injury with all the associated vet bills and rehab, then be more cautious.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Take absolutely no notice of what other people think or how they judge you. Care for your horse how you wish to and how you consider is suitable for his type, fitness, longevity and aims.

Sleipnir

Visit site
I experience the opposite, hard stoney ground that I won't trot on but which others come back talking about the good canter they just had.

Experienced exactly the same at my yard a few weeks ago. No, thank you, I value my horse much more than a good blast of canter!

You know what's better for your horse, OP. Don't let the poor practices of others change that.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
Take absolutely no notice of what other people think or how they judge you. Care for your horse how you wish to and how you consider is suitable for his type, fitness, longevity and aims.

Throughly concurr. My mare lived to well over thirty and was fighting fit till the day she popped her clogs - I had more days sick then she did - we went huge distances but taking it easy and rarely jumping. Enjoy your horse - but more importantly - make sure he/she enjoys your company too!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Again another one to advise you not to take any notice. If it doesnt feel right then dont do it. Im probably known as being too precious about my horses but I dont care. Warm up and cool downs are done thoroughly as is fitness work and jumping on certain ground and working over certain terrain. I'd rather have my horses for a long time and enjoy quieter rides than run them into the ground!

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I'm limiting my hacking at the moment and sticking strictly to walk. Doing a bit more in the school than I normally like to but trying to be creative. Eg pole work, in hand work and a bit of long reining as well as just flatwork schooling. Soon be spring!

BSL

Visit site
I have access to farmland for hacking. Absolutely beautiful, except in winter it gets very wet and muddy. My boy slipped over one year. My fault should have thought about ground conditions only walking but pheasant spooked him and down we went. Luckily both fine. I now wait for drier conditions. Its not for long. Do what you think is right.:)

Ceriann

Visit site
I'm a cautious hacker - land round here can be wet at the best of times (faremer who neighbour's me lets me ride his land which is great) so simply don't bother this time of year (road hacking is ok but I tend to keep at walk). Stay with what you are comfortable with.

Chianti

Visit site
Thanks all - what amazes me is that often this is people riding someone else's horse or pony and they seem to feel no responsibility for it. I started sharing a pony once and reassured the owner that I was always very careful of the going. She laughed and said not to worry as she cantered everywhere!

Boulty

Visit site
Do what feels right for your horse. I'm still managing to find places for a steady canter round by where I am as fortunate enough that there's a few well drained tracks and field edges with good grass cover round and about. Some people may not be happy to trot / canter on them but my horse still seems to be finding adequate enough grip to have arguments about whether we can go a bit faster. They're a little soft / squelchy but for the most part not deep or waterlogged if you know which parts to avoid but there are a few paths through some woods that most of the year I can trot and canter on in places but at the moment they've got a heck of a lot of standing water on them and are a bit bog-like so slipping about in walk a bit (horse hates deep ground with a passion) and wouldn't dream of going faster on those bits as horse is already telling me he isn't too happy walking on them.