hacking / horse and carriage etiquette

dappyness

Visit site
Ok.. So im not one of those guys who was born with a horse between my legs.... I will never have the same experience as some people on here. But I do have manners!

When out hacking I do believe that I am one of those who exerts a high standard in manners.. I will get out of the way of cars, cyclists etc. Will always thank people and add a smile. Will always shut gates properly, stick to paths and respect anyone's land that I may be on. I would NEVER trot up behind another horse, pass in trot or even trot off once past.

So.... what is the deal with etiquette when driving (horse and carriage)? Why in the last 2 days I have had to shout at people to slow down who seem to think its ok to come flying up our backside? I know not every horse likes things passing and mine is no exception. Both times i looked back and indicated with my arm to slow down as my mare was becoming quite anxious about it. They didn't...... I ended up some poor persons driveway to get out of the way. They then proceeded to fly past looking at me like I was some sort of freak!
They have horses... they know horses can get spooked... they know not all horses like others flying past.... So what makes these two carriages think its anything different!

I'm not tarnishing all carriage drivers with this inconsiderate behavior.. But can someone tell me if there are any unwritten rules about this.
Is there any one on here who drives carriages who can shed some light on this please!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Were they carriage drivers, or gypsy ponies? Normally carriage drivers are very considerate to riders, as they know that they can seriously spook horses that are unused to the sight.

However, the second lot don't care about you or anyone else, normally, unless they happen to know you and think you might be of some use to you. Then they are OK.

sophiebailey

Visit site
In my experience I would say that's a bit rude. We have a lovely gentleman who drives his stallion around our lanes and whenever we come across him he always stops the cart to allow us past (Bailey hates carriages with a passion). I always say sorry for making him wait whilst Bail's has a fit at the cart, but he always says it's not a bother as it teaches his youngster good manners to stand still and wait patiently (I suppose as he would have to at traffic lights or a junction??)

However if you were riding on a main road I'm not sure if it would be possible for the cart to stop due to traffic??

I share your pain though, Bailey really does get upset by them so I dread to think what would happen if one rushed up behind us!

dappyness

Visit site
Unfortunately it wasn't Gypsies, they looked like very well off people. It wasn't a main road either; a small country lane. I just cant believe that it would happen..

Just so I know... Same rules apply to them as hacking horses, in that, pass wide and slow and be considerate!

charmeroo

Visit site
It seems to me that some carriage drivers cannot, do not, and will not beleive that their horse and carriage can cause so much anxiety in other horses! To be honest, and surprisingly, generally I've experienced more consideration from some of the 'gypsy' community!

millitiger

Visit site
Everyone I have ever met with a carriage has been very aware they can scare the life out of other horses and they have all passed me very quietly and widely or even stopped and waited for me to go past them :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Same as hacking really, its polite to shout ahead & check before passing. But tbh if someone isn't prepared/ can't let me pass for whatever reason, I would expect them to pull in as soon as they were somewhere safe to do so & let me past. I would never overtake on a hack without checking, but likewise wouldn't expect to dawdle for miles behind someone at a slow walk.

Molasses

Visit site
Just an opinion from the other side (I drive :D) and I will always slow or stop and let the rider adjust, some horses are fine, some freak out. But just because people drive doesn't mean they're nice people.

Afterall no matter what the group or collection of folk, you'll always meet idiots. I hope you meet a nice driver next time, good luck!:)

dappyness

Visit site
Oh of cause I would even dream of thinking that all carriage drivers are like this. I did try to get out of the way asap but I will not trot down hills as my horse isnt that great with her footing and is quite on the forehand.

I was just surprised to get such awful looks from them as they passed me and my horse dancing in someones driveway. I would of only held them up in walk for about 30 seconds.

Kat

Visit site
We have a lot of driving people near us (showing and pleasure driving) and they are all considerate to the absolute extreme if they meet ridden horses as they know how much it spooks some horses. In fact my mare gets a bit impatient as she isn't scared of them. Her fieldmate is a ride and drive, she sees her harnessed up and has hacked out with the exercise cart a few times.

Burmilla

Visit site
I was at a livery yard years ago, where there was a competion driving person: he was known as 'Dr Death" as he drove a black trap, at great speed, pulled by two black Fell ponies, manes and tails flying, with him in black clothes complete with apron and bowler, whirling his whip and shouting the ponies on like he was driving the Deadwood Stage. His poor wife, clinging on the back step, looked permanently terrified! He hurtled round the narrow winding lanes startling everything that he came across. Fortunately, he and the trap wheels and ponies' hooves, made such a racket that we could hear him half a mile away and dive up a bridleway or farm track and hide til the whole caboodle whirled away past us!

Hollyberry

Visit site
some years ago I was hacking my horse down a very narrow local bridleway and coming towards me was a guy with horse and carriage who totally blocked my path. My horse was quite upset and I was getting quite nervous as he was very aggressive and kept saying to get out the bloody way. I told him I could not get past him as there was no room and he told me not to be so bloody wet and get in the ditch. It was a horrible experience and he sped past my poor horse who was floundering around in the ditch. It turned out he was no other than a certain aussie carriage driver who I shall not name but I later found out was a complete a... e to anyone who got in his way. He shouldn't have been on the bridleway anyway but what a complete prat to put someone at risk like that.

Burmilla

Visit site
Further to the above experience, in the same parts there was a very aged Gipsy gentleman who used to break and train very nice Welshies to harness. He used a little wooden dray and was absolutely careful and polite at all times. Extremely knowledgeable and interested in whatever I was riding. He said of Dr D, when I'd just had a close shave with him whilst riding a very opionated youngster, " don't you worry, missy: them little black horses will turn 'im over one day, he'll decide to get summat bigger, they'll have the measure of him in no time and he'll be frit to death and give it all up". And so it came to pass. A pair of huge Dutch Warmbloods who took off with him, went into a telegraph pole, smashed up the entire rig and caused themselves some nasty injuries and him to break several bones. He gave up. My Gipsy friend said, "Ah well, missy, some people shouldn't be let near horses. Haven't the wit, see." and went on his calm and cheerful way.

dappyness

Visit site
Im just guessing that I need to de-sensatise my mare.. Possibly made a tad more difficult as these carriages are the only ones we have seen in the last two years.
Hopefully a one off ( or two off as in my case!)

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I met my first horse and trap- not gypsy just regular folk, today. My tb has never met one with me in his 2 years out of racing- was petrified. They came out of blind junction on quiet lanes as soon as they saw me one jumped off and held his horses head (youngster), they walked slowly past and spoke to my boy, who snorted went up grass verge and passed. Very polite they only walked until well past me.