Hacking - I'm Scared!

Kate_13

Visit site
Hi

I have recently bought a new horse who is absolutely lovely. He is very placid and copes with things well.

My only problem is me! I have an unreasonable fear of hacking on roads. I have to say the car/ van drivers around my area are very good and always slow down and we have very quiet country roads.

My horse has not seen much traffic and looks to see what is behind him (fair enough), but he put his bum into a Landrover today, luckily the landrover avoided him, but it does scare me.

I have the option to travel to the woods nearby where there is miles of off road hacking and have access to riding on the beach.

My question is, should I perseve with my unreasonable fear and get used to riding on quiet roads, or should I just stick to the woods and beach?

Thanks

metalmare

Visit site
If you are nervous of hacking I would suggest you perhaps gain confidence on someone else's horse first - if your lad hasn't much experience, no matter how good he is, he may pick up on your nerves and deteriorate. If you can find a horse who will not flinch in traffic regardless of how tense you may be that would be ideal. Then you can transmit your new found confidence to your own horse.

piaffe

Visit site
Cant offer much advice as Im much the same. I hate hacking on the roads. Am always terrified something will happen and dont have much faith in other roads users. Sadly my fear has grown over the past few years.
Our roads are very quiet but it doesnt seem to make much difference, i know its all in my head, but that doesnt help either!
frown.gif

Saying that, my sis and i boxed our two, an hour away, earlier this week to huge woods and we were out for over 3 hours and had an amazing time.
grin.gif

metalmare

Visit site
My old loan horse was absolutely incredible - I have never seen a horse like her on the roads. I had complete trust in her and she would never bat an eyelid at anything (she was 17 though). I used to take her on really, really busy roads and even do a bit of shopping. Once you have hacked a horse like that you always live in hope and faith that you will one day find another (this would be quite a high priority for me when looking at horses).

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Hi Kudu,

Get yourself some rescue remedy!
grin.gif
Also try to keep him in a bit of a shoulder in (towards the traffic) position when something is coming, so he can only swing his quaters into the verge.

I always carry a schooling whip out hacking to help me move his bum over, it's useful for moving him for gates etc as well.

If you can, the very best thing to do is hack with a bombproof horse, as it will help your boy stay calm and see there is nothing to worry about.

Can i ask wky you are called Kudu? my horse is called Koodoo, pronounced kadu, apparently it's an alternative spelling for the animal. just being nosy!
smile.gif

Kate_13

Visit site
Thanks for advice air78.

Unfortunately he came with that name. He is Whistlejack Kudu. At home he is called Koo.

My other half is South African and apparantley a Kudu is a South African Antelope thing!

Why the stud came up with that name is beyond me!

Stella

Visit site
Could you take him out with an experienced horse and go two abreast (on straight sections of road) with you on the inside? When he and you are relaxed with that, you can progress to the other one in front, then behiind you.

Just take your time building confidence for both of you.

Kate_13

Visit site
I've been really lucky, the horse I go out with is bombproof and I can sometimes ride 2 abreast, but on the smaller sections I go behind and he has been very good, but some cars have funny sounding engines, which he is trying to get used to.

I think it is all new to him and he is doing very well, I just worry too much.

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've been really lucky, the horse I go out with is bombproof and I can sometimes ride 2 abreast, but on the smaller sections I go behind and he has been very good, but some cars have funny sounding engines, which he is trying to get used to.

I think it is all new to him and he is doing very well, I just worry too much.

[/ QUOTE ]Thats understandable, just take it easy, don't do too much too soon and don't overface either him or yourself. Its supposed to be fun after all
smile.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
It is very nerve wracking riding a new horse out on the roads. He and you have got to get used to each other and he has got to get used to all the new sounds and sights. The advice given above is all good - wear hi viz at all times, take some rescue remedy, ride out with another bombproof horse. Once your new boy and you have formed a bond, you will be fine, but it will take time so be patient and for the timebeing just go for short walks on the roads and try not to tense up each time you hear/see a car - easier said than done I know, but breathe deeply and sing if it helps relax you. In an ideal world, none of us would ever have to ride on a road but the reality is that our horses have got to get used to all sorts of things, traffic being a very important one.