Hacking - Pentland Hills - best/easy route for newbie?

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Hi

As I've now regained most of my hacking confidence after a few years of being too terrified to ride (never mind hack!) I'd love to take my two horses for a sedate hack on the Pentland Hills. I live outside Carluke and so will be coming in from the west probably on the A702 or A70. Where is best to park please (lots of space as I can't really do tight turns) and are the trails marked? Am hoping for a 2 - 3 hour amble, preferably as off road as possible.

All advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Where are the Pentland hills? I've been looking for new hacking places. We are also outside Carluke!
The Pentland Hills are towards Edinburgh - seems to be a fair number of car parks and tracks but I would like to find out from people who've already been there what the best tracks are and where best to park etc. Otherwise I risk getting completely lost as its a huge place!

Around Carluke the closest off road hacking area is Wilsontown ironworks - there is a car park, some marked trails and loads of forest paths - I go there at least once a week at the moment. Further afield there is the Biggar to Broughton disused railway track - park at the Biggar Golf Club. There is also Douglas Estate - park at Douglas West. These are routes you can download from South Lanarkshire horse riding routes (google).

Lintel

Visit site
The Pentland Hills are towards Edinburgh - seems to be a fair number of car parks and tracks but I would like to find out from people who've already been there what the best tracks are and where best to park etc. Otherwise I risk getting completely lost as its a huge place!

Around Carluke the closest off road hacking area is Wilsontown ironworks - there is a car park, some marked trails and loads of forest paths - I go there at least once a week at the moment. Further afield there is the Biggar to Broughton disused railway track - park at the Biggar Golf Club. There is also Douglas Estate - park at Douglas West. These are routes you can download from South Lanarkshire horse riding routes (google).
Thanks for the info, I head out to Chatleroute, Dalziel park(motherwell) and the Cathkin Braes at East Kilbride are great!

Mister Ted

Visit site
If you go to BHS Scotland website it gives a list of trails for the Pentlands with a map.Coming off the A70 at Currie kirk you drive up the steep road up to Mid Kinleith Farm road and turn and unload there although Ive not been for a while it may be private parking as a few cottages being renovated. Its the quickest route into the hills as you are almost directly onto them. Otherwise Balerno coming up through the village and on for about a mile uphill and parking at the car park at Harlaw and again almost directly on to the hills.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
If you go to BHS Scotland website it gives a list of trails for the Pentlands with a map.Coming off the A70 at Currie kirk you drive up the steep road up to Mid Kinleith Farm road and turn and unload there although Ive not been for a while it may be private parking as a few cottages being renovated. Its the quickest route into the hills as you are almost directly onto them. Otherwise Balerno coming up through the village and on for about a mile uphill and parking at the car park at Harlaw and again almost directly on to the hills.
Thank you!

Mister Ted

Visit site
Thank you!
I meant to add if coming up through Balerno village you can either go on up Mansfield Rd. and on past the SSPCA all uphill.It takes you out a different route from Harlaw but scenic as well. The road continues on and there are parking areas.Otherwise you can also turn off LEFT at Harlaw Rd in the village and uphill again to Harlaw car park.Great views of the Forth and bridges.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I livery on the yard on the Pentland Hills at Swanston (just off the Edinburgh Bypass)

You can park in the big communal parking area at the bottom of the estate, and then hack from there, and that's like the central gateway to the Pentland Hills.

Also a Brasserie on site for a quick drink or bite to eat after! I could always meet you and take you out an afternoon amble.

https://swanston.co.uk/

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I livery on the yard on the Pentland Hills at Swanston (just off the Edinburgh Bypass)

You can park in the big communal parking area at the bottom of the estate, and then hack from there, and that's like the central gateway to the Pentland Hills.

Also a Brasserie on site for a quick drink or bite to eat after! I could always meet you and take you out an afternoon amble.

https://swanston.co.uk/

Jenni - oooh that would be WONDERFUL! I'm still quite nervous hacking so not knowing quite where I'm going can be daunting. I'll have a wee drive down there (without the horses!) to see how far it is / accessibility then be in touch. :)

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I meant to add if coming up through Balerno village you can either go on up Mansfield Rd. and on past the SSPCA all uphill.It takes you out a different route from Harlaw but scenic as well. The road continues on and there are parking areas.Otherwise you can also turn off LEFT at Harlaw Rd in the village and uphill again to Harlaw car park.Great views of the Forth and bridges.

Thank you! From Harlaw car park are the trails sign posted (sorry might be a daft question!).

Jnhuk

Visit site
I have parked at Flotterstone but do avoid the carpark at busy times and sunny days. if you arrive early enough you can park on the old road just off the A702. It takes you a quiet road past the Flotterstone Inn

There is a downloadable pdf about the horse riding on the Pentlands here http://www.pentlandhills.org/info/15/routes_and_trails

I want to go round and explore from the other side too round by Harlaw so any info or tips on the parking esp for horseboxes would be welcome

Lintel

Visit site

Went to wilsontown on Wednesday... OMG the flies.

But great hacking thanks for that! X

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I have parked at Flotterstone but do avoid the carpark at busy times and sunny days. if you arrive early enough you can park on the old road just off the A702. It takes you a quiet road past the Flotterstone Inn

There is a downloadable pdf about the horse riding on the Pentlands here http://www.pentlandhills.org/info/15/routes_and_trails

I want to go round and explore from the other side too round by Harlaw so any info or tips on the parking esp for horseboxes would be welcome

Park at Swanston and I'll come with you and show you the way!