Hacking to arena hire/shows - how far?

AntiPuck

Visit site
How far would you hack to an arena hire or a local show?

There is a place around 5 miles on the roads from me that would potentially be perfect for introducing my young horse to busier environments and eventually a show atmosphere without having to hire transport (not to compete/train, just environment exposure or wandering around the arena hire to get used to it), but I estimate that is about 1.5-2 hours of hacking in walk one-way.

The longest we've hacked so far in one go is 2.5 hours, and current workload is 2 x 2 hour hacks and 2 x 1 hour hacks per week, mostly in walk but one or two of those would have some light hill interval work in trot, then one 15 min in-hand pole work session and a full day off as well. So she will need the workoad increasing gradually before attempting this, but beyond that, do you think this is too much of an ask or not?

Horse is just-turned 6, for context.

Last edited:

ponynutz

Visit site
I wouldn't hack that far on his workload, no.

If you upped the workload to this one 2/2.5 hours of hacking a day and a schooling/jumping session I'd say probably but even then showing will be much harder than schooling etc. Especially for a young horse.

Others may say different, I'm sure, and feel free to take everyone's opinion and make a judged decision (only you know your horse) but that's what I would do in this situation.

millikins

Visit site
Daughter used to hack at least 4 miles and back to our nearest XC venue, hard to tell as much of it off road. I'd be surprised if it takes you 2 hours, a human walk is around 4 mph, a horse is quicker than that surely.

AntiPuck

Visit site
Daughter used to hack at least 4 miles and back to our nearest XC venue, hard to tell as much of it off road. I'd be surprised if it takes you 2 hours, a human walk is around 4 mph, a horse is quicker than that surely.

I'd hope so, but have a feeling that with having to wait to cross roads, open gates, and deal with general young, sticky horse behaviour at times, it could easily pan out to a bit longer than it ought to be!

Thank you for the responses, everyone, it sounds like it's something we could potentially work up to as the horse gets fitter

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I've hacked 7 miles to a meet and 9 miles to an arena hire (only a saddle fitting though, not a lesson) on a pony that was hunting fit. If I was doing a lot of work when I got there I'd want the horse to be fit enough for a full days work, but if I was going to have a quiet lesson/enter one class at a show I wouldn't worry too much about the horse being a bit less fit if they were the type to settle at the venue- could arrive an hour early, loosen girth, offer water and a graze/rest beforehand. If the horse is likely to be stressed or excited by the venue I'd be more cautious as they won't rest properly in that state.

AntiPuck

Visit site
I've hacked 7 miles to a meet and 9 miles to an arena hire (only a saddle fitting though, not a lesson) on a pony that was hunting fit. If I was doing a lot of work when I got there I'd want the horse to be fit enough for a full days work, but if I was going to have a quiet lesson/enter one class at a show I wouldn't worry too much about the horse being a bit less fit if they were the type to settle at the venue- could arrive an hour early, loosen girth, offer water and a graze/rest beforehand. If the horse is likely to be stressed or excited by the venue I'd be more cautious as they won't rest properly in that state.

Thank you, this is a great point - I imagine she'll find it a bit stressful, at least initially, so will have to factor that in

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I'm sure i used to hack that far snd more and then do several classes at a show before coming back.

In your case, you say that initially it's just to experience the atmosphere and she's already hacking out 2 hours so not really a stretch. You can give her a break when you get there and walk around in hand and then come back. If you do it a few times, you can also introduce some intervals of trot depending on the ground to increase fitness.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Thank you, this is a great point - I imagine she'll find it a bit stressful, at least initially, so will have to factor that in
If you have clinics/shows locally, perhaps you could take her and not enter, just walk round/stand and watch for 10/15 mins then hack home? That's probably what I'll do with my youngster this year if I pull my finger out and get her fittened up before the local shows

AntiPuck

Visit site
If you have clinics/shows locally, perhaps you could take her and not enter, just walk round/stand and watch for 10/15 mins then hack home? That's probably what I'll do with my youngster this year if I pull my finger out and get her fittened up before the local shows

Yeah, exactly that would be the plan, really - just go along to watch/wander and then go home again. I think she could do with half a dozen or more experiences like that before actually doing any work away from home. Best of luck with your youngster!

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Yeah, exactly that would be the plan, really - just go along to watch/wander and then go home again. I think she could do with a few dozen experiences like that before actually doing any work away from home. Best of luck with your youngster!
Thanks, you too! If that's the plan I wouldn't worry about her fitness then, 10 miles in walk is nothing too strenuous!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yeah, exactly that would be the plan, really - just go along to watch/wander and then go home again. I think she could do with half a dozen or more experiences like that before actually doing any work away from home. Best of luck with your youngster!
In that case, I would feel OK to do it. I would treat it like a day ride, with a rest in the middle.

We used to do that, but the rest in the middle would be at a pub ?

Snowfilly

Visit site
Longest I ever hacked to a show was 10 miles each way, do some showjumping and then hack home again.

I routinely used to ride 6 miles to the all day shows where you’d show all morning, do the afternoon jumping and finish up with the gymkhana but it did mean long days, I’d leave the yard at 5.30am quite often to arrive and get ready, entered and clean for 9.00am

But for a young horse I think that’s quite a long way and quite stressful at first. I think you need to work towards some longer rides and more trotting so it doesn’t take quite so long, and then maybe a couple of riders over there and back without doing anything first.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The idea of building up to be fit enough initially just to hack both ways with a mosey round at the show ground without competing is a good one.

Like many old f@rts on here I used to hack to shows, but maybe 3 or 4 miles each way. I'd then enter all the classes I could, this was RC, so maybe 2 dressage tests, a working hunter class and a SJ class, then hack back home afterwards. Both horse and me were fit, though.

It's much easier if you have a tame person to meet you at the showground who can bring water for the horse, plus who will hold the horse while you nip for a wee.

Snowfilly

Visit site
It's much easier if you have a tame person to meet you at the showground who can bring water for the horse, plus who will hold the horse while you nip for a wee.

Yes! This is a big help. Or ask the organisers if you can drop stuff off the night before; I’ve often asked show secretaries if I can leave a thing of water, a bucket, a grooming kit and some clothes at the show ground over night in the tent or caravan or whatever they’re using for entries, and I’ve never had anyone say no.

Birker2020

Visit site
In the 90's this one time I'd hacked about 8 miles to the riding club, went round the clear round XC a couple of times and hacked back without a second thought.
We used to hack for hours at a time, I'd give anything to have those days of quiet roads, lanes and traffic back again.

A little story here: The time I hacked to the riding club my horse was cantering sidewards down the A3400 in Shirley, past a huge Aquatics shop, they used to have a fountain on the front lawn and this particular day it was full blast with the jet about 30 foot in the air. It was a 40mph dual carriageway so to canter sidewards down it involved a lot of cars having to slow or stop. I must admit I loved the attention for those few minutes, felt like Lady Godiva sat on my steed whilst everyone watched in awe. Biggles used to canter everywhere sidewards, he could never contain his excitement, but wasn't in the slightest bit dangerous, I don't think I fell off him once in the nearly 3 years I had him.

Got home that night to tell Mum and Dad how Biggles had cantered sidewards down the A3400 like it was a huge adventure and Mum and Dad said "right that's it we are getting you a trailer". :D

Last edited:

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
In my salad days the furthest I have hacked to a show was about 12 miles (it was 20 miles by road). It was a regular thing to hack 6 miles to a show or hunt meet. A lot of the shows were set up with a roped off tying up area for those who hacked there. We actually were one of the first families to own our own trailer and it would be full of people taking shelter in wet weather.

I would still think nothing of hacking (or now, carriage driving) 6 miles to a venue for a lesson.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Not just for old farts ;) I still do hack to almost all my arena/ride hires, clinics and stuff & I'm early (just!) thirties ?

Ditto the others that the physical and mental fitness of the horse plays a huge and the useful person on the ground is SO useful! Even if you go alone, most people are usually happy to hold a well behaved pony whilst you pop to the loo I find! I have taught mine to ground tie too just, just in cases.

He's used to long picnic/pub all day rides so hacking somewhere, popping around some fences or a ride route and back home isn't a big deal but when you break it down, there is a lot of 'stuff' to each step so think you're very wise to take it slowly at first :)

Tarragon

Visit site
I used to hack 4 miles and back to attend the local Pony Club rallies. I definitely got penalised for not having a spotless pony and clean tack, compared to those who had boxed there!
I think riding to a venue just to spectate is an excellent idea.
One of my best memories was getting a lift in a trailer to a local RC show, winning the M&M in hand, a quick ride round the clear round jumping then hacked the 15 miles home.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I did about 9 miles to a show and got there early enough for a half hour minimum breather and then did 2-4 classes with a mix of jumping, ridden showing and in hand and then hacked home.
My pony enjoyed herself so much she planted on the way home.

With what you're planning I wouldn't have any qualms about doing that.

abbijay

Visit site
I used to regularly hack up to 4 miles to compete or do a farm ride. For showing that often meant 7 miles of hacking plus 2 flat classes and a workers class. The only down side was if he needed to poop on the way over I had no way of cleaning his beautiful white feathers before a class. We always came home the slightly shorter way up a bridlepath and always rewarded ourselves with a blast or 2!
For the farm rides it would be 3-4 miles each way then 7 miles around the ride so 14ish miles and it would take me about 3 1/2 hours including a 20 minute chill before we hacked home.
A really active walk should get you to near the 4mph mark so I'd think you could do 5 miles in less than 2 hours. I would look to put a few 3 hour hacks in if I could before going the first time and then just go for it.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
In the 90's this one time I'd hacked about 8 miles to the riding club, went round the clear round XC a couple of times and hacked back without a second thought.
We used to hack for hours at a time, I'd give anything to have those days of quiet roads, lanes and traffic back again.

A little story here: The time I hacked to the riding club my horse was cantering sidewards down the A3400 in Shirley, past a huge Aquatics shop, they used to have a fountain on the front lawn and this particular day it was full blast with the jet about 30 foot in the air. It was a 40mph dual carriageway so to canter sidewards down it involved a lot of cars having to slow or stop. I must admit I loved the attention for those few minutes, felt like Lady Godiva sat on my steed whilst everyone watched in awe. Biggles used to canter everywhere sidewards, he could never contain his excitement, but wasn't in the slightest bit dangerous, I don't think I fell off him once in the nearly 3 years I had him.

Got home that night to tell Mum and Dad how Biggles had cantered sidewards down the A3400 like it was a huge adventure and Mum and Dad said "right that's it we are getting you a trailer". :D
I know exactly where you mean! I used to hack there but from a different direction.

Birker2020

Visit site
I know exactly where you mean! I used to hack there but from a different direction.
Oh blimey! Its a care home now we keep seeing it advertised on the telly and I have a little smile to myself. Named after the very fountain Biggles cantered past!!

It used to be Shirley Aquatics if you remember.