Hacking

JessPickle

Visit site
I have spent so much time trying to improve pickle hacking. He used to bomb off in any open space (all ours hacking is open fields!!!
shocked.gif
) He got really really good. Even in his loose ring waterford he was holdable, now he is becoming very strong again he is just about holdable in the wateford dutch gag. Allthough he is still very strong and knows it! Most people that ride him are obviously adult men, so the dont find him hard but for me he really is a handful. He only hacks in groups, but I was thinking of gradually introducing him to hacking alone so he doesnt have that compition kind of racing instinct. An old owner told me he always used to hack alone so am tempted to try. If I do how do you suggest I do this? Also any tips on how to hold him stregth obviously wouldnt work!

Chex

Visit site
I actually find mine worse when hacking alone, there's no incentive for him to behave and stay with the rest of the horses! I usually get half way round the field then find I'm back at the gate after a blur lol. I find it easier to stop by giving and taking, or just using one rein, or relaxing and sitting up.

JessPickle

Visit site
Yeah I dont just haul at him or anything I try to give and take and sit up, but he is still very strong, and no one really thinks there is a problem because they see full grown men easily holding him

Happytohack

Visit site
Take him for short periods in walk only to start with, making sure he always always walks towards home. Try to do circular routes. Gradually introduce trotting and then the odd canter. To hold a big horse, make a fist with one hand and anchor this rein in the bottom of the horse's neck, give and take with the other rein. This was a trick taught me by an old jockey - at 8 stone and riding 2 year old colts, he had a few tricks up his sleeve.

Skhosu

Visit site
Perhaps these full grown men are pulling on his mouth and making him dead in it?
I personally would think this is the cause, but is he on working livery or something?

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps these full grown men are pulling on his mouth and making him dead in it?
I personally would think this is the cause, but is he on working livery or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is on working Livery but hacking is only ridden my me, my dad and one other man who is really good with him and rides him twice a week one lesson one hack. I have full control over who hacks him though because it took mea long time to get him right