Had a fright with youngster tonight.

Groom Mum

Visit site
Hi. We had a problem tonight with our youngster. I had turned them out in the spare field. There were some tiny cider apples that had fallen from the tree in Autumn. I didn't think they would be interested. I'm not sure it's that. But I brought him back to his shelter and fed him and after his feed he went a bit weird. Like pacing and bit agitated. Then he had really bad diarreah. So i was in the next stable and heard bang I ran to them and he was lying down on the floor. I was scared and called the vet. He got up about 10 secs later but wasn't right. The vet has just been and given him anti imflam injection. He had his flu jab and he was wormed yesterday too so could be combination of things. He's perked up now he was munching on long grass when vet was examining him. But I'm checking on him at midnight. I have to work tomorrow. They won't accept me off for a poorly pony ! I will check him at 7am. My lady who helps me on work days is coming in at 9.30. Then my daughter will check him again at 2 pm and 5 pm. I will get home at 8.30 and go put hay in for night and check him again. The vet said just watch him over next 12 hrs. I'm so worried. I won't sleep tonight. I'm still worrying about him holding his weight too. The vet thought he was covered ok around the tummy but was a bit tucked in. He said up his feed to three times a day ! He also suggested I put a medium weight rug on him to help maintain the weight. Any suggestions on whether the rug is an option. Does anyone think it was a combination of maybe apples, flu jab and wormer ? I asked the vet if both together we're OK and he said yes. So I went ahead.

Groom Mum

Visit site
That vet !! I said to him I didn't want both done. He said it would be fine. I wish I hadn't relied on him and went with my gut feeling. I used half dose of Equest

Pinkvboots

Visit site
That vet !! I said to him I didn't want both done. He said it would be fine. I wish I hadn't relied on him and went with my gut feeling. I used half dose of Equest

it's not your fault if he said it was okay sometimes we as horse owners just go along with whatever vets say even though gut instinct says different we have all been there, I did the same the other week horse resulted in cut face and a broken light, sometimes if they do have worms the wormer doing its job can cause the horse discomfort sometimes even colic, can you go and check him this evening?

Groom Mum

Visit site
I've just been to check him. He's doing his usual. Standing up ears pricked at my car lights. Stood in his shelter. He looks ok from about 10 metres and a strong torchlight away ! I'm going back down around midnight to check him again. I won't sleep tonight. I worry too much I know. But I love them so much like my kids !! What do you guys think about popping a medium turnout on him to try to hold his weight ? We're in for a really icy weekend apparently.

Orca

Visit site
I've just been to check him. He's doing his usual. Standing up ears pricked at my car lights. Stood in his shelter. He looks ok from about 10 metres and a strong torchlight away ! I'm going back down around midnight to check him again. I won't sleep tonight. I worry too much I know. But I love them so much like my kids !! What do you guys think about popping a medium turnout on him to try to hold his weight ? We're in for a really icy weekend apparently.

Yes, a rug will help him hold weight because he won't then be burning energy in an attempt to stay warm. The ideal weight of the rug would be dependant upon his current coat.

Groom Mum

Visit site
He's quite fluffy. But not woolly mammoth fluffy. Maybe a medium weight. As I'm praying it won't get too much colder only milder from now on. ( wishful thinking)

Pinkvboots

Visit site

he sounds like his okay try not to worry too much, I would put the rug on him he will hold weight if his warm, it felt like spring here today wishful thinking :)

Groom Mum

Visit site
He's a feral pony. A rescue one. I don't know what he's gonna make of a rug on. Anyone have any stories of first time rugging on a youngster.

be positive

Visit site
He's a feral pony. A rescue one. I don't know what he's gonna make of a rug on. Anyone have any stories of first time rugging on a youngster.

If he is not used to wearing a rug and from memory he is not the easiest to handle, then I would leave rugging until you have time to introduce it properly over a period of time, the risk of him getting hurt, panicking or damaging you are worse than him being a bit chilly or dropping a bit of weight, he should be fine with plenty of hay to eat, vets are not always right and on this I would ignore the suggestion of rugging for warmth, he will be uncomfortable if he is too warm and you cannot get the rug off.

Orca

Visit site
Good advice above. My relatively unhandled youngster was completely happy with her first rugging but she's a bit of an anomaly (she was completely happy with her first clip too!). If he's not used to rugs then it could be more trouble than it's worth and probably not worth the risk. It might be worth starting to get him used to such things though, just in case you need the option in future :)

Groom Mum

Visit site
He's been tucked up for around a month. I ask the vet to look. Until tonight none of them or the rescue centre were troubled by it. I am though. I see him getting more and more concave and it worries me. The vet tonight said he was tucked up and then suggested a rug. It's going to be very cold this coming weekend. So I will start to get him used to a rug for future. Do you just put it on him for a short time. How does one do it ? All of my other horses have had previous owners who had introduced them to rugs before I had them.

Groom Mum

Visit site
I seem such an amateur !! It's because I've never gone alone before. Always been on yards where there are always more knowledgable people than me. I've had horses on yards for years. This is a whole new ball game.

be positive

Visit site
He's been tucked up for around a month. I ask the vet to look. Until tonight none of them or the rescue centre were troubled by it. I am though. I see him getting more and more concave and it worries me. The vet tonight said he was tucked up and then suggested a rug. It's going to be very cold this coming weekend. So I will start to get him used to a rug for future. Do you just put it on him for a short time. How does one do it ? All of my other horses have had previous owners who had introduced them to rugs before I had them.

If his condition is really concerning you, I know you have posted about it before, it is likely to be due to something going on internally, have you done worm counts? had bloods run? he could well have reacted to yesterdays wormer because he has a high burden and the worms dying caused the mild colic/ discomfort, the problem with taking on rescues is that they may be damaged from previous neglect and can be tricky to get right although most will some take longer and require more help to get there.

Whenever I have rugged a youngster that has been unhandled or is nervous I start by putting a towel on their back after letting them have a sniff, giving them a rub with it, once they are happy having that thrown over like you would a rug then I use a light rug a cooler or summer sheet works well as it is soft, quiet and easy to get on and off, if they are happy then do it up and leave them to wander around the box in it, next step outdoor rug and turning out making sure it fits well, the straps are adjusted correctly and that you will be able to check regularly for the first few hours.
If they seem very unsure then make sure you can catch them before turning out in a rug as a frightened young horse running about with a slipping rug can be tricky to deal with and may end up running through fences trying to get away from the rug that is "chasing" them, worst case scenario is a broken leg from tripping up, so it pays to go carefully, most will be fine but if you have one of the ones that is not it helps to be prepared and go slowly.

Groom Mum

Visit site
Thank you for that. It really isn't as easy as chucking it on and off he goes is it ? Yes I have been worried about this one for a while. He came to me in November quite chunky. But he's not maintained that weight since. Even with his feeds and ad lib hay and long grass three times a week. He was wormed in October and then I did him yesterday. The vet seemed to think he's fine re: worms. But I just don't think he's right. The other one is thriving. But he looks sickly to me. I'm giving it till the weekend. If I'm still not happy I'm going to get the vet back and ask for some blood tests done.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I wouldn't rug him - it's just asking for trouble! Pony's problem was almost certainly encysted redwork - Equest is a bit TOO efficient with them. And half a tube sounds a bit much for a pony youngster - that's a 350kg dose. (at least he should now be clear of worms.) Chances are he will now be fine - just regular checks!

Groom Mum

Visit site
I haven't done a worm count. But the rescue centre did one. The vet gave him his wormer. He had half and my other one had half. They are around 300-350kg. And once again I let the vet guide me :/

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If he is not used to wearing a rug and from memory he is not the easiest to handle, then I would leave rugging until you have time to introduce it properly over a period of time, the risk of him getting hurt, panicking or damaging you are worse than him being a bit chilly or dropping a bit of weight, he should be fine with plenty of hay to eat, vets are not always right and on this I would ignore the suggestion of rugging for warmth, he will be uncomfortable if he is too warm and you cannot get the rug off.

agree with this I didn't realise he had never had a rug on before

Groom Mum

Visit site
I will try the towel trick a few times first. I will definitely get him used to a rug by next winter. I'm off to check him now. Fingers crossed he's ok.

Clodagh

Visit site
I wouldn't rug him, chances of it scaring him and him doing himself an injury is too high. Ad lib hay and good vits/mins will do it, he is better off putting on weight slowly and in a couple of months he will be on a diet!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Hope that you found him nice and bright today, OP. As JG says, the diarrhoea could well have been due to a mass expulsion of encysted redworm after being dosed with Equest.

It's a good idea to get regular and frequent worm counts done on a rescue equine, to check that the worm burden is being effectively dealt with. As I've mentioned before, I'm having issues with a much higher than expected worm count with my rescue pony, so she's on a worm resistance programme atm despite being wormed at the normal intervals since she was taken in by her rescue last spring. Westgate labs are very helpful, if you give them a call they will give you advice as to how to proceed re testing and worming in the future.

http://www.westgatelabs.co.uk/

It possible that he has other issues stemming form his poor start in life which are making it diificult for him to thrive. A talk with a good vet would be useful, but not sure how clued up your vet is from what he's done and advised so far.

Groom Mum

Visit site
He's brighter today. I need matchsticks to keep my eyes open as I couldn't sleep worrying about him. !!
I checked him before work at 7. He was perky. Then the lady who helps me checked him at 9.30 and he was fine. Then my daughter has been checking him this afternoon he's fine too. I will finish work at 8 and go feed them. I'm so relieved. I was so worried about him. But I will be keeping a close eye on him for a while. I'm going to try to train him to have a rug ready for next winter. I am finding it hard to hold his weight on. I'm also going to call the worm lab and have a chat with them about worming.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
There is every chance he will thrive when Spring and Summer arrives, he will be a year older at the onset of winter, stronger and better handled. Hang on in there OP, you are doing fine.

Groom Mum

Visit site
Thank you. I'm hanging in hard. By the skin of my teeth. It is and has been a very hard slog. I honestly didn't realise that once you have your own place you suddenly have to become a vet, a grounds man and a fencer !! I never liked being on a yard because of the many silly rules and restrictions. But, it does make you appreciate quite how much you get all the tough stuff done for you.