Haflinger's

JadeWisc

Visit site
I am contemplating trying to find a nice one. They have always appealed to me every time I have seen one. Thick Bushy manes,short stature(yet sturdy) I am a fan of short horses like these.... Icelandics, Fjords....etc. I have mainly always been around such as AQHA's and more common American breeds. I was wondering if anyone has one, or has expereince with them. I would love to hear any advice about them, or stories of owning/training/keeping/riding them.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
They had a couple in the Riding School where I kept my last pony. I personally found them bolshy little sods, from my experience they need a firm handling from the start. Gorgeous ponies though. I would consider having one for myself but not sure if they are kid’s ponies, however I have only known about 4 in my time.

threeponies

Visit site
I rode one when I was younger, she was nice enough but bucked violently! Have you thought about a Highland, they are lovely and calm.

Haflinger

Visit site
I have one on part loan. He is the nicest pony I have ever met (and I'm not just saying that!) and is full of character
smile.gif
He's a great allrounder and adores jumping - he has quite a pop in him! x

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I think as with most horses, there are good ones and not so good ones depending on the training from the beginning. I'm sure there are some wonderful Haffy's out there, just not the ones in the Riding School (saying that they were pushed and pulled around by the kids, bless them).

Don’t rule out a Heinz 57, our best ponies have been mutts as such!

Accy

Visit site
I think they a lovely creatures all the ones ive come accross need a firm but fair hand, both are childrens ponies

threeponies

Visit site
Highlands are Scottish ponies, no bigger than 14.2hh very stocky with loads of mane and tail. There are a lot of them being exported to USA from Scotland, not sure whereabouts exactly.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Have you thought of a coloured cob like our Blackie? They are importing a lot of those over to America now. If you want contact details then just let me know!
You would love something like him; he's so gorgeous and takes everything in his stride even at 4 years old!

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
I had a Haflinger cross Arab!! HEHE - boy was that fun! She was really cute, but boy did she have a personality!! She could bronk with the best of them, then be as sweet as pie. If she didnt watnt o do something she wouldnt, but she would never hurt you - ever.

She was Gorg though and knew it! Thats her at the front

2451554620066038735jZDjBx_ph.jpg

Vey

Visit site
I have a Haflinger. I think they are wonderful. I also have a Highland, and half a life times experience of them.

Haffies are, as a general rule, much more obliging that a Highland, and much more forward going. Mine goes straight off the leg. Highlands ARE wonderful - but they are very very obstinate. They are individuals, of course, and superb weight carriers, and usually excellent jumpers. If you want to see two nice Highlands in action, you might like to watch 'Mrs Brown' on DVD - it is about Queen Victoria, and has two great Highlands in it.

It is true of my Haffie, and I have heard it of many others, that they are real 'people horses' - he really will try to do anything for me. He is more excitable than a Highland, but also, in my view, more level headed. He can fairly shift it, but he is also as careful of me as excitement allows. The typical head carriage of Haffie is quite high - they tend to have short necks.

Both of these big ponies absorb adult weight and height as though it did not exist.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I personally found them bolshy little sods

[/ QUOTE ]

ME TOO!! Not my type of pony at all!

Hornby

Visit site
DressageDiva those are Fjords (black in the mane) not haflingers (always blond mane). I used to have a haflinger gelding quite a few years ago - he was a sweetie but could be strong (turn round and go home quick if he saw something he didn't like - but he was only a youngster). Try googling for the Breed Society they were very friendly and helpful to me.

Blizzard

Visit site
Haflingers are beautiful ponies, I tried a couple when i was looking for a horse and they were all responsive, sweet, beautiful, intelligent and cuddly.

I think they are stunning but like with many naitve ponies, they need a firm hand or can take the pee, my welsh knows all about that!

RobinHood

Visit site
I have a 3.5yr old haflinger and he is the most obliging horse I have ever met. He takes everything in his stride and I swear he was born allowing people to sit on him, backing him has been a complete and utter non-event. He walks over motorway bridges, past aplacas, and when we played with some tarpaulin in the school he just tried to eat it.